The Geelong Cants | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Geelong Cants

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
We play them twice, both times at the 'G, so we have some sort of a say in it.

Interestingly, the Cats also play the Saints twice.

We have the Cats' first rounder next season and the Saints' second rounder.

One way or another, there's a good chance one of those picks will be well placed in its round.
Think I might prefer the Cats first rounder to slip a couple of notches than the Saints second rounder. More than happy for us and the Sainters to flog the suit case out of the Moggies next year.

Reactions: 1 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
We play them twice, both times at the 'G, so we have some sort of a say in it.

Interestingly, the Cats also play the Saints twice.

We have the Cats' first rounder next season and the Saints' second rounder.

One way or another, there's a good chance one of those picks will be well placed in its round.
Aint's have to match this yr or they'll miss the 8, i am not sold personally. they are relying on Ryder & he's 33 next yr....

glenn downing

Tiger Cub
Jun 2, 2014
It will be very interesting next season to see how the dynamic works between Cameron and Hawkins. Personally I thought Cameron's form was very poor last season and he seems a little selfish in the way he plays (and to leave GWS for more money under the guise of wanting to live the lifestyle in a small city). We have seen from past years that he is capable of kicking multiple goals but last season he never looked like kicking a bag of goals. Hawkins has been the main man on their forward line for many years now and he will now have to share the limelight. Hopefully it doesn't work out well. What happens to the talented Ratugalea, now apparently doomed to be a fringe/back up player. He should have just sought a trade to another club. I just cannot see Cameron, Higgins (33 next season) and Smith (34 next season) lifting Geelong up to a premiership next season. Higgins and Smith can still be dangerous at times but surely both are well past their best. Hopefully it doesn't work out well. Geelong will have a hard time to find a replacement for Harry Taylor , who was such a reliable/dependable defender for the last 10 years. Hopefully it doesn't work out well.

Reactions: 4 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Well we successfully incorporated Lynch into a one man forward line where many thought Jack couldn’t adjust so I can see it working for the cats - they will be more potent in attack.

The issue for the cats will be whether they can keep their dads army on the park for 22 rounds plus - if they can they will be a force.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
If u look at Cameron's career #'s, he had a career yrs in '19, in '20 he was back to what he always has been. Thier test once again will be the Finals

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
It will be very interesting next season to see how the dynamic works between Cameron and Hawkins. Personally I thought Cameron's form was very poor last season and he seems a little selfish in the way he plays (and to leave GWS for more money under the guise of wanting to live the lifestyle in a small city). We have seen from past years that he is capable of kicking multiple goals but last season he never looked like kicking a bag of goals. Hawkins has been the main man on their forward line for many years now and he will now have to share the limelight. Hopefully it doesn't work out well. What happens to the talented Ratugalea, now apparently doomed to be a fringe/back up player. He should have just sought a trade to another club. I just cannot see Cameron, Higgins (33 next season) and Smith (34 next season) lifting Geelong up to a premiership next season. Higgins and Smith can still be dangerous at times but surely both are well past their best. Hopefully it doesn't work out well. Geelong will have a hard time to find a replacement for Harry Taylor , who was such a reliable/dependable defender for the last 10 years. Hopefully it doesn't work out well.
Are you saying that you hope it doesn't work out for them?

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

glenn downing

Tiger Cub
Jun 2, 2014
Are you saying that you hope it doesn't work out for them?
Sadly I am still quite traumatised by that nightmare at Docklands stadium in 2007. We have of course redeemed ourselves significantly since 2017. I remember a game down at Kardinia Park when Ben Cousins was playing for RFC and of course we were getting a right towelling by Geelong once again. Our coach moved Rance into the midfield to play as a ruck rover because we couldn't match the big bodied midfielders of Geelong without him. The experiment, strangely enough, did not work.

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
I have a sneaky suspicion the Cats will be right among it again but there is a caveat.

Higgins and Smith were excellent last year and there is no reason they will fall away quickly. While Cameron was relatively poor, the forward mix will suit him better at Geelong. Finlayson, Himmelberg and Riccardi are all similar players to Cameron—tall, mobile forwards. At Geelong, I reckon Cameron will play the Riewoldt role—up and back linkman—while Hawkins will stay at home. Much like Lynch and Riewoldt, they'll occasionally swap the roles. But they'll be clearly defined, which I think will suit Cameron.

The caveat is this. Surely it takes at least six or eight rounds for it all to gel.

Round 1—Adelaide (away)
Round 2—Brisbane (home)
Round 3—Hawthorn (home—MCG)
Round 4—Melbourne (away)
Round 5—North Melbourne (home)
Round 6—West Coast (home)
Round 7—Sydney (away)
Round 8—Richmond (away)

If the Cats don't get it together early, this could be a tricky run for them. Brisbane and West Coast will test them at home. Sydney and the Tigers will test them away.

Could they be 4-4 after eight rounds?

Reactions: 1 user

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I have a sneaky suspicion the Cats will be right among it again but there is a caveat.

Higgins and Smith were excellent last year and there is no reason they will fall away quickly. While Cameron was relatively poor, the forward mix will suit him better at Geelong. Finlayson, Himmelberg and Riccardi are all similar players to Cameron—tall, mobile forwards. At Geelong, I reckon Cameron will play the Riewoldt role—up and back linkman—while Hawkins will stay at home. Much like Lynch and Riewoldt, they'll occasionally swap the roles. But they'll be clearly defined, which I think will suit Cameron.

The caveat is this. Surely it takes at least six or eight rounds for it all to gel.

Round 1—Adelaide (away)
Round 2—Brisbane (home)
Round 4—Melbourne (away)
Round 7—Sydney (away)
Round 8—Richmond (away)

If the Cats don't get it together early, this could be a tricky run for them. Brisbane and West Coast will test them at home. Sydney and the Tigers will test them away.

They could be, but I reckon they'll beat Adelaide, Brisbane at the Cattery, Hacks, Dees, North, probably Sydney. I reckon they'll lose 2-3 max.

We take Geelong lightly at our peril. They'll be up there again.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Sadly I am still quite traumatised by that nightmare at Docklands stadium in 2007.
2017 Qualifying final
2019 Preliminary final
2020 Grand final

I've somehow managed to find some compassion and forgiveness in my heart for all that the Moggies imposed on us in the preceding 35 years and call the ledger squared.
2021 onwards I'll be more than happy to simply obliterate them during the home n away series as I would an irrelevant bug.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
It will be interesting to see how they try and fit Camron in. Does he go up the ground and kick for goals from the edge of 50 instead of closer to goal so they can maintain that "Hawkins Island" that they were trying this year, or do they go for 2 targets inside F50 like we have done for the last 2 seasons.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011

Round 1—Adelaide (away)
Round 2—Brisbane (home)
Round 4—Melbourne (away)
Round 7—Sydney (away)
Round 8—Richmond (away)

They'd want to get it together fairly early, that's not the toughest start to the yr.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
2017 Qualifying final
2019 Preliminary final
2020 Grand final

I've somehow managed to find some compassion and forgiveness in my heart for all that the Moggies imposed on us in the preceding 35 years and call the ledger squared.
2021 onwards I'll be more than happy to simply obliterate them during the home n away series as I would an irrelevant bug.
It will be interesting to see how they try and fit Camron in. Does he go up the ground and kick for goals from the edge of 50 instead of closer to goal so they can maintain that "Hawkins Island" that they were trying this year, or do they go for 2 targets inside F50 like we have done for the last 2 seasons.
No way we still owe them a few floggings.

As for "Hawkins Island" i'd be surprised if teams allow that to happen again i am surprised teams let it happen for as long as it did. It took us to expose it & then it was gone. Perhaps some lower teams will get exposed by it but the top sides will be on to it & won't let it happen, especially in Finals.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Think I might prefer the Cats first rounder to slip a couple of notches than the Saints second rounder. More than happy for us and the Sainters to flog the suit case out of the Moggies next year.
I'd be happy for everybody to flog the Moggies next season ....................................................except Collingwood.

Reactions: 2 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne

Round 1—Adelaide (away)
Round 2—Brisbane (home)
Round 4—Melbourne (away)
Round 7—Sydney (away)
Round 8—Richmond (away)

Adelaide could surprise them and everyone by knocking em over in Round 1.

They will be at home new year new Me and all that, they'll be hard at the Sooks and a shock upset aint out of the realms of possibility.

Get em on the back foot early.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Adelaide could surprise them and everyone by knocking em over in Round 1.

They will be at home new year new Me and all that, they'll be hard at the Sooks and a shock upset aint out of the realms of possibility.

Get em on the back foot early.

Excellent point, that really could be a danger game for them and if they start the year losing to the reigning spooners the pundits will have a field day.

DS

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Sadly I am still quite traumatised by that nightmare at Docklands stadium in 2007. We have of course redeemed ourselves significantly since 2017. I remember a game down at Kardinia Park when Ben Cousins was playing for RFC and of course we were getting a right towelling by Geelong once again. Our coach moved Rance into the midfield to play as a ruck rover because we couldn't match the big bodied midfielders of Geelong without him. The experiment, strangely enough, did not work.
Was that at Cat Park? I thought it was against #lolnorf in Tassie, but I could be wrong. There were too many of those performances back then. So glad those days are done.

Ripplestick

Tiger Champion
Jan 18, 2007
The cats will throw blicavs back to replace Taylor and Smith will take Blicavs wing.
Higgins and Smith are still playing good footy and I think by adding these 2 they have improved their side as they will be able to leave Dangerflop in the midfield longer. They'll still choke come finals time though.