The Geelong Cants | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Geelong Cants

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Noticed a HUGE amount of Geelong Draught stacked floor to ceiling in the local BWS over the past week... asked the bloke on the jump if anyone is actually buying that Cat P!SS.....
"Nah...... why would ya?"

*smile* me they only release premiers cans in Carlton Draught. Why can't they cater to people who like beer?

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Key takes from that list:

- We have a very experienced squad with no excuses and the time to strike is now.
- West Coast are in a world of hurt long term
- Hawthorn at $5 are a gift for the spoon
- Gold Coast surprisingly experienced
- GWS have stripped a lot of experience (needed)
- North have more experience than thought. Might bounce slightly under Clarkson.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014

- We have a very experienced squad with no excuses and the time to strike is now.
- North have more experience than thought. Might bounce slightly under Clarkson.
Gold coast like to take retreads as rookies.
Their core top end have been slowly building games.

So right on hawks!

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
West coast still a horrible mix.
Saints dont know which way theyre going.

Swans have a tremendous profile. As long as their GF experience hasnt broken them, they have a strong future ahead

Reactions: 1 user

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
you can have a young list of Will Martyn's , RCD's and CCJ's it wont get you a flag

Reactions: 1 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

I am also a little surprised by the Lions and Dogs. but as others have said it is not so much the age/experience of your playing list, but the age of key players. We are obviously at risk because of the likes of Cotch, Jack, Dusty, Grimes etc. All could be finished very soon. Whereas the Doggies have Jones, Duryea, Keith, Johannison, Libba and Bruce as their over 30s. Libba is the only one they would miss if he retired tomorrow.

Reactions: 2 users

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
Young or old if they can't mark or kick, who gives a flying toss.

Another 1980's bullshiit stat to hold on to
Those stats are not the end of the conversation rather the start

What age group are your star players in ?

How are those year 3 year 4 players looking ?

What do we trade for and what do we draft for ?

It’s a delicate balancing act and a moving feast
But gives us plenty to discuss

Mycotchinrules

That's just like, your opinion, man
Mar 17, 2014

Agreed with all of that except the North bit Leysy.

They are putrid, and the spectre of the racism investigation hanging over Clarkson won't help.

Bottom line: Tiges flag into Hawks spoon = early retirement

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Just another fairly pointless and irrelevant list. For most clubs the age and experience of the 22 that take the field most weeks will be nothing like that of the overall playing list.

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
They just can’t stop themselves can they?

So many things wrong with this proposal.
There was no actual grand final played back in the period they’re talking about (1870-1897), the premier was the team that had the most match points, including tour games and games against non senior teams.*
Some teams played more games than others!
In fact, the final ladder was often based on consensus among the football media of the day.*
A final system wasn’t part of the VFA until 1903 (1901 in the VFL) when they adopted the Argus system, which has its own issues.

Also doesn’t consider the VFA grand finals from teams before they joined the VFL:
2 for Richmond, 6 for North Melbourne and 9 for Footscray!

With all those problems, I still wouldn’t be surprised if Gill gave a massive parting gift to the sooks at corio…
They can gagf

*More info on early vfa

Reactions: 4 users

Meteoric Rise

Tiger Cub
Feb 6, 2020

There was no actual grand final played back in the period they’re talking about (1870-1897), the premier was the team that had the most match points, including tour games and games against non senior teams.*
In fact, the final ladder was often based on consensus among the football media of the day.*
A final system wasn’t part of the VFA until 1903 (1901 in the VFL) when they adopted the Argus system, which has its own issues.

Also doesn’t consider the VFA grand finals from teams before they joined the VFL:

With all those problems, I still wouldn’t be surprised if Gill gave a massive parting gift to the sooks at corio…
They can gagf

*More info on early vfa

My understanding is that by 1888 the VFA had a formalised competition with the teams genuinely playing for a Premiership, albeit without a Grand Final. For the 9 seasons 1888-1896 the teams were vying in a credible competition to establish the best team in Victoria. All of those years before that where Carlton and especially Geelong are trying to claim Premierships back to about 1870, that is laughable, for the reasons you have detailed in your post.

I don’t have any issue respecting VFA Premierships as being won by genuinely the best team in Victoria from 1888 to 1996. So Essendon x 4, South Melbourne x 3 and Fitzroy and Collingwood x 1 each could be fairly added to offical tallies imo.

Geelong I am sure would have played games against country towns that counted in the years they are trying to claim, the teams were not playing for any formal Premiership so you cannot go back and start awarding Premierships to teams in those circumstances where other teams in the colony did not even know there was a premiership to play for, and there was no attempt to have parity in the schedules of the various teams.

That club is a joke.

Last edited:

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
I don’t have any issue respecting VFA Premierships as being won by genuinely the best team in Victoria from 1888 to 1996. So Essendon x 4, South Melbourne x 3 and Fitzroy and Collingwood x 1 each could be fairly added to offical tallies imo.
I can’t accept that purely because I don’t believe Essington deserves anything!

That club is a joke.
Agree

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Meteoric Rise

Tiger Cub
Feb 6, 2020
I can’t accept that purely because I don’t believe Essington deserves anything!

Agree

If you had to start picking clubs to treat unfairly, Essendon would be high on my list as well. But I have little doubt they were the best team in the state(then a Colony) when they jagged 4 on the trot in the early 1990’s with one of the games greatest ever players, Albert Thurgood, running riot in the last 3 of those seasons.

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
If you had to start picking clubs to treat unfairly, Essendon would be high on my list as well. But I have little doubt they were the best team in the state(then a Colony) when they jagged 4 on the trot in the early 1990’s with one of the games greatest ever players, Albert Thurgood, running riot in the last 3 of those seasons.
I suppose there would be one upside. Imagine how purple Eddie McGuires face would become if another club becomes the first to get 4 flags in a row!

• Love

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011

They can gagf

*More info on early vfa
A history lesson is in store for this idiot. He needs to look up the shitstorm that was "Sheedy to Richmond" & the fallout from that move. that may clear things up a bit. 2 completely different & rival competitions.