The Gold Coast Rebuild | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Gold Coast Rebuild

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Reading that the Suns are after Roughy and Burgoyne for next year. Read elsewherevtheyd be interested in getting Betts too.

Maybe they’re going down the path of being the veterans destination club rather than a club of youth.

Maybe they could be the Over 30s club like the nightclubs of the 70s and 80s.

The Suns are changing there name next year,
The Retirement Village Suns.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Leysy is right that GWS has a retention problem, but they don't have a culture problem, IMO. All you hear is that it feels lile a genuine footy club, and the fact they still have foundation guns like Greene, Cogs, Davis and Ward speaks volumes.

They have a ruck problem and a coach problem. No system. Fix those, keep Kelly and Cogs and they can win a flag. But Leon ain't the man. Wouldn't be surprised if they have a chat to B. Scott.
Thats 4 players out of how many?

Im not sure if you blame 'culture' or coaching but it is pretty clear GWS dont like it tough. Whether it is bad weather, like Friday, or a team that will play hard for 4 quarters, GWS dont like it when things arent going their way.

I reckon the Giants should be willing to trade some of their talent, and target guys like Cotch (maybe not after this year), Grimes, Pendlebury (tho maybe a little old). Guys who are tough, who perform at a high level week in, week out and who know how to win.
The suns should do likewise.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
its funny, when teams were targeting old re-treads 15-20 years ago to top up, the whole footy world would ridicule them. now everyone is encouraging Fold Coast to copy what Brisbane did with Hodge... the problem is that there is only one Luke Hodge. Roughy is finished. Burgoyne has never been captain. and Betts has never played in a flag. they are targeting the wrong people... probably because there is no one else.

Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Thats 4 players out of how many?

Im not sure if you blame 'culture' or coaching but it is pretty clear GWS dont like it tough. Whether it is bad weather, like Friday, or a team that will play hard for 4 quarters, GWS dont like it when things arent going their way.

I reckon the Giants should be willing to trade some of their talent, and target guys like Cotch (maybe not after this year), Grimes, Pendlebury (tho maybe a little old). Guys who are tough, who perform at a high level week in, week out and who know how to win.
The suns should do likewise.
Not just four. They also have Tomlinson, Buntine, Reid, Patton, Kennedy and Haynes from their first year, 2012. That's 10, one more than we still have on our list from that year.

They had to overpay guys like Scully, Ward and Davis to get them there, combine that with having to reduce their list, the go-home factor and big $ offers for the likes of Smith, Shiel, WHE and Treloar they couldn't hope to match, and they were always going to lose players. Losing Treloar got them Taranto, a win in my book.

It's easy to say they are all glamour boys who don't want to get their hands dirty, but if that is still the case, who is teaching these kids? Who is instilling values? They are rudderless when things don't go perfectly because they have no system to fall back on, they rely on talent. That's the coach's fault. I can't see how Leon Cameron is anything other than a failure. If I were them, I'd sack him and employ Scott. They'd make a grand final, at least, if he could convince Kelly and Cogs to stay.

They are 1989 West Coast waiting for Mick Malthouse to show up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
Thought I would get this started as all the machinations are looking like it will be a thorough rebuild with some sort of outside chance of short term success. Losing Prestia is a blow but they will get ample compensation. They already have two excellent tall options in Wright & Lynch and should also get another gun tall next year if they finish bottom 6.

Picks 4, 6 & 8 will net some serious talent, perfect position to be as the talent drops off at 9. A mix of Bowes, Sam Petrevski-Seton & Scrimshaw would be a dynamic core to get things moving. I would be holding all these selections.

Add Hanley (O'Meara compo), Barlow (late pick) & Witts (pick 27).

Use two picks in the twenties and trade down to secure Griffin Logue, spine is starting to look formidable.

Use the remaining picks on Sheer & Jacob Allison, both first round talents who will automatically add to the midfield mix.

Keep getting games into the likes of Jack Martin, Fiorini, Ah Chee, Miller & Garlett.

Persist with Sam Day who is just about ready for a break out season and do everything in the power to keep David Swallow.

Then there's Gaz, best to play him forward in order to extend his career.

I hate to say it but Gold Coast are set to pass Richmond on the ladder, it could even happen as early as next year. They have been gutted by defections but have still maintained value at the draft table. They clearly know when to hold and when to fold. By contrast, we missed the boat on Conca who once had a 4 year deal with Freo on the table, the friendless Lennon who bent the club over after being courted by Carlton and Vickery who is uncontracted and will poached as a free agent.
Hindsight is wonderful, but this is very funny.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Not just four. They also have Tomlinson, Buntine, Reid, Patton, Kennedy and Haynes from their first year, 2012. That's 10, one more than we still have on our list from that year.

Not many left then considering they were all very young unlike our list. Amazing actually that we still have virtually the same number on our list since that year.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Not many left then considering they were all very young unlike our list. Amazing actually that we still have virtually the same number on our list since that year.
Our oldest player is a year older than theirs, from that time. Houli/Ward. They had plenty of oldies like Cornes, McDonald, Brogan etc.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Our oldest player is a year older than theirs, from that time. Houli/Ward. They had plenty of oldies like Cornes, McDonald, Brogan etc.

GWS average player age Round 1 2012 was 21 years 4 months, average games played 29.2. Tigers were young but still 23 years 10 months, average games 70.5. Massive age and experience difference. GWS, unlike Gold Coast, chose to pile up on youngsters and more draft picks rather than experience. Right strategy at the time thus why they have had relative success and GC is a basket case.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
GWS average player age Round 1 2012 was 21 years 4 months, average games played 29.2. Tigers were young but still 23 years 10 months, average games 70.5. Massive age and experience difference.
If I say the sky's blue, tlove, you'll tell me clouds are grey.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I want GC to get pick 1 & 2 just so Melbourne is stooged and miss out on exactly the player they need in Anderson.
When you put it like that, giving GCS that pick makes absolute perfect sense.