The Gold Coast Rebuild | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Gold Coast Rebuild

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Reading that the Suns are after Roughy and Burgoyne for next year. Read elsewherevtheyd be interested in getting Betts too.

Maybe they’re going down the path of being the veterans destination club rather than a club of youth.

Maybe they could be the Over 30s club like the nightclubs of the 70s and 80s.

Reactions: 1 user

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
These old threads are amusing. Look at everyone rushing to agree with bully that Gold Coast would be ahead of us by 2018. You can't get more wrong than that.

Not everyone mate ha!

Remember the old days posting how hard it is for these clubs to build and maintain a list, whilst being blasted about how they were going to have a monopoly on the premiership race for many years to come.

Posted it was hype of Y2K bug proportions.

They are both further away now than when they started. GWS will stay competitive in the short term but because of the constant loss of players due to location, culture etc and having to overpay players they will never build the depth required to win a flag in the foreseeable future.

Reactions: 1 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015

Bloody hell. .... just had a flashback trying to sneak into High Society on top of Doncaster Shoppingtown.... the clientele was, to my eye, sophisticated and glamorous.
Has me wondering what that looks like 35 years on? (Not unlike myself I imagine!:confused: )

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
How long do you pour money into a endless pit??
The AFL cant for the next 25 years top them up.
As soon as this administration goes so will GC.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Not everyone mate ha!

Remember the old days posting how hard it is for these clubs to build and maintain a list, whilst being blasted about how they were going to have a monopoly on the premiership race for many years to come.

Posted it was hype of Y2K bug proportions.

They are both further away now than when they started. GWS will stay competitive in the short term but because of the constant loss of players due to location, culture etc and having to overpay players they will never build the depth required to win a flag in the foreseeable future.
You were all over it, Bryan.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
These old threads are amusing. Look at everyone rushing to agree with bully that Gold Coast would be ahead of us by 2018. You can't get more wrong than that.

Dig out the Bernie thread. It's a great way to spend an afternoon laughing

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

Yep. People also said that GWS would be a flag dynasty from 2017 on. I always said they don't have the culture. But yeah, Suns. They'll limp on for however much longer the AFL want to prop them up. Maybe Gil's successor will bite the bullet and close up the shop.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Dig out the Bernie thread. It's a great way to spend an afternoon laughing

Remember that satirical creative fiction one about Balmey and the assistant coaches treating Dimma as a sort of special needs employee? A tour de force.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Yep. People also said that GWS would be a flag dynasty from 2017 on. I always said they don't have the culture. But yeah, Suns. They'll limp on for however much longer the AFL want to prop them up. Maybe Gil's successor will bite the bullet and close up the shop.

GWS definite issues culturally or at least when the going gets tough but gee they've been hit hard by injuries last couple of years. On their list this week; Cameron, Coniglio, de Boer, Deledio, Finlayson, Himmelberg, Hopper, Kelly, Langdon, Lloyd, PAtton, Ward

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
GWS definite issues culturally or at least when the going gets tough but gee they've been hit hard by injuries last couple of years. On their list this week; Cameron, Coniglio, de Boer, Deledio, Finlayson, Himmelberg, Hopper, Kelly, Langdon, Lloyd, PAtton, Ward

This is true.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Seems highly likely that Polo Boy will award the first two picks in the draft to his mate Evans. Will also likely allow a higher football department spend.
I hope they do award them the first 2 picks. It means that Melbourne miss out on Noah Anderson who by all reports is clearly the 2nd best player in the draft.

Ha ha.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
How long do you pour money into a endless pit??
The AFL cant for the next 25 years top them up.
As soon as this administration goes so will GC.

The AFL funded GWS and The Suns from the increased revenue from the last broadcasting rights as the number of games went up 1. So the money they are using is indeed an endless pit as long as the broadcast rights $ stay high and increase.

The plan is 30 years so not going anywhere in that time frame

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Reading that the Suns are after Roughy and Burgoyne for next year. Read elsewherevtheyd be interested in getting Betts too.

Maybe they’re going down the path of being the veterans destination club rather than a club of youth.

It makes more sense than giving them extra draft picks. Get 4 or 5 highly performed veterans, not necessarily to play, but to be mentors for the younger players. Have them there for long contracts by increasing the Suns off field spending cap. Attempt to build a culture from proven veterans.

Hodge going to Brisbane is a template but doesn't need to actually play.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Leysy is right that GWS has a retention problem, but they don't have a culture problem, IMO. All you hear is that it feels lile a genuine footy club, and the fact they still have foundation guns like Greene, Cogs, Davis and Ward speaks volumes.

They have a ruck problem and a coach problem. No system. Fix those, keep Kelly and Cogs and they can win a flag. But Leon ain't the man. Wouldn't be surprised if they have a chat to B. Scott.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
GWS have figjamism. And its not good enough when the going is uphill.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
I have a theory about fixing gold coast.
Same as others have said - increase the soft cap. Improve the club/footy dept and players will stay and pkay better.
First step is lure recent past champions but not to play.
Assistant coaches and mentors.
Steve Johnson. Roughhead. Bartel. Nick Riewoldt.
Double the footy dept cap to get the best.
Young players want to learn from legends of the game.

As an example Lynch when he arrived at the tigers said how excited he was to learn from JR.
Who was his mentor at the Suns - martin pike?
It would help massively with player retention

Stewie Dew might be a great coach but will not be the only factor keeping the kids. I also think he has an outdated gameplan.

Then get a good footy administrator eg Tom Harley.
Get a new list manager - ffs Craig Cameron signed off on CEllis.
They have the right CEO in Mark Evans.
(Balme - Benny Gale)

Sure give them pick 2, but players will come and go.
Gold Coast need more footy cap spending and better footy people involved

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
I want GC to get pick 1 & 2 just so Melbourne is stooged and miss out on exactly the player they need in Anderson.

Reactions: 3 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
How good would the Suns be if Abblet, Prestia, Caddy, O'Meara, Lynch, a fit Bennell, May and Dickson were still playing for them?

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Gold coast are going just fine. Lynch Prestia and Caddy are proof of that.

• Haha