The Gold Coast Sucker Punch | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Gold Coast Sucker Punch

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
2,856
2,372
Hidden Valley
I don't typically post any information i hear from inside the club and i've sat on this for a little bit of time now pondering whether i should try to highlight this situation. It concerns me enough to now bring this up.

FACT:
There are a couple of Richmond players targeted by Gold Coast who are at a loss as to why their own club haven't spoken a word to them yet about stitching up new contracts at Tigerland.

These targeted players are SERIOUSLY wondering what is going on!

This question was raised at the club dinner a few Wenesdays back and was basically brushed aside by Gary Marsh!

The reason i've started a new thread about this issue is that i want this post noticed and the club to know that supporters are aware that to this point, not even an innitial meeting has taken place with these players. (unless this has happened in the last week which i doubt considering what's been going on)!

The talk of Foley crossing to Gold Coast also concerns me for 2 reasons. One, i wouldn't want him to be lost to Tigerland, and Two, it could be the classic sucker punch!

Spread a rumour about interest in one player so the club scrambles to sign him, quite possibly for an amount over the odds, leaving less room in your salary cap to fend off an attack on more desirable players that can really hurt the opposition with their skills in a team where there is more talent around them.

One thing for sure is the closer we get to season's end, the more we'll be paying to retain players when the scramble is on for signatures!
 
RFC CEO PLEASE READ

It seems like the club is more interested in following other processes...

Maybe the title of the thread should be RFC CEO PLEASE READ perhaps then he might take note of the topic. Then the rest of the club might know about it. It shouldn't take him long to pass the message on ;)
 
frickenel said:
FACT:
There are a couple of Richmond players targeted by Gold Coast who are at a loss as to why their own club haven't spoken a word to them yet about stitching up new contracts at Tigerland.

These targeted players are SERIOUSLY wondering what is going on!

Are Lids, Cotch and Axel up for renewal? Have you e-mailed your concerns to the club fricks?
 
The reality is that every club will lose someone they would rather not to the Gold Coast. The problem with our coaching termoil is that we don't seem to be making any decisions about anything. I can understand the players being pissed.

I've been firmly in the "keep Wallace til the end of the year" camp, but I must admit I'm starting to waver because we need to move forward on issues like this
 
The brother and mother of the guy who asked that question were sitting on my table (next to me - they laughed and said oh that's our xxxxxx).
I think Lids in particular was the one they were asking about, since he was sitting with the brother.
 
As has been announced previously we will not be doing anything till after round 11.
That includes players contracts, sacking coaches, paying the boot studder and even outstanding bills.
We have put the shutters up and we will look at all issues in a few weeks till then. :sleeping :sleeping :sleeping :sleeping :sleeping :sleeping :sleeping
 
What are you worried about. Unless its Cotchin, everyone including Lids and Foley is up for trade bait.

Let them make us an offer. Two first 2 round picks for Lids - SOLD.

How can you be worried which players from the worst performing club in the AFL might be lost to the club.

Let's continue to reward mediocrity within the club.

Gary March is doing the right thing by not taking the bait from the Gold Coast.
 
As said, every club will come under pressure.

Tigers will have to think deeply about who to trade v keep.

Certainly should give a little extra to those we might want to keep.
But don't want to be held to ransom for "mega" bucks & long unavoidable contracts.

Those who want to be Tigers, great!
Those who are more interested in the size of their contracts .......
 
btoz_01 said:
As has been announced previously we will not be doing anything till after round 11.
That includes players contracts, sacking coaches, paying the boot studder and even outstanding bills.
We have put the shutters up and we will look at all issues in a few weeks till then. :sleeping :sleeping :sleeping :sleeping :sleeping :sleeping :sleeping

Can I have some of that sand they have their heads buried in. My kids' sandpit is looking a bit low.
 
Phantom said:
Those who want to be Tigers, great!
Those who are more interested in the size of their contracts .......

I'd say in our case its more a choice of whether a player want's to chase a greater chance of success than money.
 
What sort of draft consessions would the AFL give us if we agree to become the Tassie Tigers ?
 
Crazy Costanza said:
What are you worried about. Unless its Cotchin, everyone including Lids and Foley is up for trade bait.

Let them make us an offer. Two first 2 round picks for Lids - SOLD.

How can you be worried which players from the worst performing club in the AFL might be lost to the club.

Let's continue to reward mediocrity within the club.

Gary March is doing the right thing by not taking the bait from the Gold Coast.

Well said :clap

I can honesty say that aside from Cotchin - that there is not one player I would fight hard to save (and that includes Deledio)

In fact the very opposite - if we can get enough for Deledio - then good riddance. Never contributes more than a quarter and is easily tagged out of a game.

Thank God this didn't happen ten years ago when Richo was still eligible.

Without him - what we have had to look forward to???

Now we have nothing :'(
 
Crazy Costanza said:
What are you worried about. Unless its Cotchin, everyone including Lids and Foley is up for trade bait.

Let them make us an offer. Two first 2 round picks for Lids - SOLD.

How can you be worried which players from the worst performing club in the AFL might be lost to the club.

Let's continue to reward mediocrity within the club.

Gary March is doing the right thing by not taking the bait from the Gold Coast.

I'm not concerned about us trading players for picks. The worry is that GC17 get an uncontracted player and can afford to pay him double his current salary. Essentially they have the first 16 picks in the PSD and enormous cap space. If Deledio is uncontracted then we will get a second round pick(usable in the next 3 years.) for him at best if he chooses to go with the money, lifestyle and the anonymity that GC17 can provide.

One of the reasons we are so poorly performed is a lack of quality players, we can't afford to lose any good ones to GC17 with the pitiful compensation the AFL are offering.
 
frickenel said:
I don't typically post any information i hear from inside the club and i've sat on this for a little bit of time now pondering whether i should try to highlight this situation. It concerns me enough to now bring this up.

FACT:
There are a couple of Richmond players targeted by Gold Coast who are at a loss as to why their own club haven't spoken a word to them yet about stitching up new contracts at Tigerland.

These targeted players are SERIOUSLY wondering what is going on!

Well why don't they go to CC and lay it on the table?