• If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact admin@puntroadend.com // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check your junk/spam emails.

The Good, Bad And Ugly – Richmond 2020 Season Preview

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
A big fan of The Mongrel Punt. Here's the 2020 season preview and of course it's very pleasant reading. This is a freelance site, and so if you can afford it, sign up for the year. Good content every week.

Reactions: 9 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Agreed. I used to read things like this hoping to read nice things. Now I expect it. This is a good time to be a Tiger.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
The Bad and the Ugly discussion would fit in the Good section of most club's reviews!

Reactions: 3 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Enjoyable read, but I'm not to sure about his flipping the switch comment. It would be a rare event for any side to have an injury run to key players such as we had during the first half of last season.
With a more normal type of season on the injury front, I'd expect our boys to be spending the majority of the season firmly ensconced within the top four. Like all sides during the year, we'll lose the odd game here and there, just as a reminder to keep the focus n do the required work. Finals time is head down n arse up with bugger all room for a mis step. I'd be very surprised if we don't have enough weaponry to at least play another Prelim, n the last two games of the year usually belong to the team with work ethic, form, talent, experience. We've got plenty of each of those so don't really need a switch to flip.

DavidSSS

Tiger Superstar
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Yeah I found the "flip the switch" comment a bit strange. Circumstances were forced upon us and it turned out to be ok but we were struggling with a lot of injuries for the first half of the season.

Not sure any team has really managed to sort out the length of the season and the need for form at the pointy end. Very difficult.

DS

antman

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
By his own admission he was struggling to find negatives and that's the best he could come up with.

Reactions: 1 user

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Yeah I found the "flip the switch" comment a bit strange. Circumstances were forced upon us and it turned out to be ok but we were struggling with a lot of injuries for the first half of the season.

Not sure any team has really managed to sort out the length of the season and the need for form at the pointy end. Very difficult.

DS
If there is 1 team that is close to figuring it out it is us. it's certainly a key ingredient in Premiership success.

aoc1974

Tiger Superstar
Mar 1, 2015
Dunno why I'd forgotten what the collective noun for Tigers was..... so hit the google.

An Ambush.... so appropriate, it's just what we do...:) also...
A Hide.... grown a thick one. (Us & them)
A Streak..... hmmm, hopefully we're on one and in honour of our own @Streak

Came across some pearlers for the Cats...
"Clowder of Cats"
"Cluster of Cats"
"Clutter of Cats"
"Destruction of Cats":rotfl1
"Dout of Cats"
"Glaring of Cats"
"Litter of Cats"
"Nuisance of Cats"
"Pounce of Cats"
+
"Pisś of Cats"!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

MD Jazz

Tiger Champion
Feb 3, 2017
Clarkson was the master at managing the season and aiming to peak at the pointy end. Some things are out of your control but it isn't just "luck" that the Hawks were firing at the right end of the season. Nor luck that we were last year. Yes injuries play a part but it is also about keeping the group mentally fresh.

Reactions: 2 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
terrible. I don't mind a laboured metaphor in sports writing, but this bloke is ridiculous. I couldn't finish it. A few blues too:

Grimes was already a superstar.
Cotch is just as good, just that he now plays a different role. I'd argue he is better. They still don't get us.
Nank is Soldos serviceable backup right now, not the other way around.

That was as far as I got.

Reactions: 2 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Clarkson was the master at managing the season and aiming to peak at the pointy end. Some things are out of your control but it isn't just "luck" that the Hawks were firing at the right end of the season. Nor luck that we were last year. Yes injuries play a part but it is also about keeping the group mentally fresh.
Reckon we have now mastered it also, we showed last yr we have learnt from '18. injuries dictated to us how our season would pan out last yr tho we'd still learnt a harsh lesson in '18. Just need to get to the bye in decent shape & start to peak from about rd 18-20.

Last edited:

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
Reckon we have now mastered it also, we showed last yr we have learnt from '18. injuries dictated to us how our season would pan out last yr tho we'd still learnt a harsh lesson in '18. Just need to get to the bye in decent shape & start to peak from about rd 18-20.
Yep, with hopefully your finals 25 settled n in form by round 20. Makes the finals run so much easier if you know who's fit and in form last few weeks out.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
Yep, with hopefully your finals 25 settled n in form by round 20. Makes the finals run so much easier if you know who's fit and in form last few weeks out.
It is a nice change from the days when opposition clubs knew all they had to do was lift in the last quarter and we would melt away.

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
It is a nice change from the days when opposition clubs knew all they had to do was lift in the last quarter and we would melt away.
Geez! Ya just had to let that gorilla out of the closet for one last look around didn't ya. Gave me massive nightmares n match day palpitations for years living through all those fade outs. Heap of bloody finals n a couple of flags n I was just gettin all comfy on cruise control then BANG out pops TF with the horror show :bash

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users