The Greater Tiger? Rance or Grimes | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Greater Tiger? Rance or Grimes

Who is the greater tiger?

• Total voters

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Best ever defender at Richmond?
Easy.
Justin “The King Maker” Leppitsch

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Best ever defender at Richmond?
Easy.
Justin “The King Maker” Leppitsch

Its unfortunate that arguably the most influential ever CHB swingman

shot thru, right at the emergence of arguably the most influential ever CHB swingman.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Rance baby with Grimes a close second and Balta settling in to see where he measures up Over his journey.

Rance took some time to build his game, he looked clumsy and a bit hit/miss in his early days but when he did mature he was being talked about being one of the all time great defenders.

Grimes took some time to build his hammies and he is one of the most underrated players playing the game but I think Grimes benefits more now from the team defence setups we have.

I remember Rance beating his own player and also those that other defenders were on at the same time - he was a monster and he would intimidate and out pych other attack by the way he played.

edit - just saw saint francis listed as an option - 300 gamer - reckon it’s harder to split the saint against the Rance imo.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Grimes over Rance but very hard to split them.

St. Francis above both at this stage. 5 time premiership player and AFL team of the century. Hard to argue against those accolades.

IMHO St. Francis is in the top 5 players in the history of the RFC. With Royce, Captain Blood, KB and Dusty. As great as Rance and Grimes are and us much as I love them they are not quite in that company. But they are champions all the same.

Reactions: 4 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
If ever a poll needed the cheese sandwich option its this one.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Incredibly hard to split them. At times I would go to the games just to watch Sir Rancelot and he was worth coming just for him.

Grimes more dour to watch, but is a rock in defence for us, so important and as Ezy mentions, enjoys the "hurt" factor.

I had to go for the ,y brain overheated option and thats before you through in Balta.

Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Rance baby with Grimes a close second and Balta settling in to see where he measures up Over his journey.

Rance took some time to build his game, he looked clumsy and a bit hit/miss in his early days but when he did mature he was being talked about being one of the all time great defenders.

Grimes took some time to build his hammies and he is one of the most underrated players playing the game but I think Grimes benefits more now from the team defence setups we have.

I remember Rance beating his own player and also those that other defenders were on at the same time - he was a monster and he would intimidate and out pych other attack by the way he played.

edit - just saw saint francis listed as an option - 300 gamer - reckon it’s harder to split the saint against the Rance imo.

On pure talent, at and his best, Rance.

Grimes has gotten better and better - agree that he suits our defensive game perfectly. Pretty hard to split them now.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Its unfortunate that arguably the most influential ever CHB swingman

shot thru, right at the emergence of arguably the most influential ever CHB swingman.
He planted his seed.
He’ll sit back from a distance and watch the baby grow

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
not a hard decision at all - Grimes.
operated magnificently under the radar when Rance was dominant .. Rance wouldn't be the same with Grimes ..
when Rance left, Dylan took over the mantle with aplomb ..

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Both Rance and Grimes wouldn't be the players they are without Flossy back there with them.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Both Rance and Grimes wouldn't be the players they are without Flossy back there with them.

And where would love machine be without broady.

And where would broady be without bakes

And so on it goes.

Marlion pickett and kmac are immeasurably crucial to our defence.

Yes, the greatest tiger of all time

Is T. Process

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
And where would love machine be without broady.

And where would broady be without bakes

And so on it goes.

Marlion pickett and kmac are immeasurably crucial to our defence.

Yes, the greatest tiger of all time

Is T. Process

yeah nah. Broad was dropped for a while. Flossy's worth to the backline is severely under rated. For a while there we looked like we had lost a Grand Final because he was taken out early.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
yeah nah. Broad was dropped for a while. Flossy's worth to the backline is severely under rated. For a while there we looked like we had lost a Grand Final because he was taken out early.
Dimma’s master stroke was sending McKintosh to the backline after half time.
Carried the entire defence and spoon fed Dusty.
Captain material

• Love

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Dimma’s master stroke was sending McKintosh to the backline after half time.
Carried the entire defence and spoon fed Dusty.
Captain material

McKintosh covered the Flossy absence and Houli's inability to run. Probably the greatest performance ever in a Grand Final / Final of any sport anywhere in the world.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

I could flip that if I wanted, and say, we won the GF without Love Machine,

thereby proving Broady is more important,

but I wouldn't, because I dont believe it.

I would, however, put Broady forward as possibly the most underrated footballer in our best 22. He simply never lets us down, is elite tough, fast and has a monster tank. and if Dangerfield had of targeted Broady, Dangerfield would have broken his elbow and broadly would have pushed the trainers away. and that's not denigrating Love Machine, who is cats head tough too.

but I can't recall anyone anyone underrating Richmonds Greatest Love Machine,

indeed, his widely revered and consider our next Captain?

I agree though, if you had to go into a GF with only one, not many would chose Broad over Vlastuin.

I think T. Process is the most underrated thing at Richmond

and its not really underrated

Last edited:

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
If you didn't say Rance, you are wrong.

And you have the memory of a goldfish.

And you should probably never post here again.

Reactions: 5 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Excuse me while I pick my jaw off the ground.

Grimes is incredible and played a major role in bringing new ideas to the group, but Rance is arguably better than Dusty.

About 2 years ago, if you lined up every player to ever play the game in a schoolyard, Rance would be one of the players being considered first for many.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Excuse me while I pick my jaw off the ground.

Grimes is incredible and played a major role in bringing new ideas to the group, but Rance is arguably better than Dusty.

About 2 years ago, if you lined up every player to ever play the game in a schoolyard, Rance would be one of the players being considered first for many.

Mmmmmh - if you’re really talking schoolyard footy match I’d be tempted to pick Dangerfield over everyone. He’d be bloody brilliant.

But an AFL Granny ...... not for a nanosecond

• Haha

saigon tiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 4, 2010
Rance and Grimes both Tiger legends but jeez throw St Francis in there and I reckon he shades both. An absolute gun, warrior and legend was Francis Bourke!

Reactions: 2 users