The greatest Richmond team ever? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The greatest Richmond team ever?

tigerjoe

EAT 'EM ALIVE TIGERS!
Aug 24, 2003
Melbourne
Well I never thought that i could even dream about starting a topic like this.
After the 36 years of failures and struggles we endured, who in their right mind would venture to say that this team could be the greatest Richmond team ever?

With so many different things to consider the one thing that really stands out is the fact that since the 90’s football has become truly professional with millions spent and no stone left unturned to achieve success.

Richmonds other greatest era was the late 60’s early 70’s.
From 67 to 74, 4 Flags.
Legends like Hafey, Hart, Bartlett, Bourke, Clay etc will never be forgotten.
They worked during the day, trained Tuesday and Thursday, a couple of coaches, a doc and a Physio.
A Victorian league, 12 teams, no travelling interstate.

Today........18 teams, all full time professional, massive coaching panels, interstate travel, social media, endless scrutiny.............
Add to this a season like 2020 which will probably never happen again.

Should we win next week, I have little doubt that this Richmond team is
The Greatest Richmond team ever.

• Wow
Reactions: 9 users

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Well I never thought that i could even dream about starting a topic like this.
After the 36 years of failures and struggles we endured, who in their right mind would venture to say that this team could be the greatest Richmond team ever?

With so many different things to consider the one thing that really stands out is the fact that since the 90’s football has become truly professional with millions spent and no stone left unturned to achieve success.

Richmonds other greatest era was the late 60’s early 70’s.
From 67 to 74, 4 Flags.
Legends like Hafey, Hart, Bartlett, Bourke, Clay etc will never be forgotten.
They worked during the day, trained Tuesday and Thursday, a couple of coaches, a doc and a Physio.
A Victorian league, 12 teams, no travelling interstate.

Today........18 teams, all full time professional, massive coaching panels, interstate travel, social media, endless scrutiny.............
Add to this a season like 2020 which will probably never happen again.

Should we win next week, I have little doubt that this Richmond team is
The Greatest Richmond team ever.
Spot on.

Reactions: 1 user

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
we need to win the flag.

but that win was the best win ive ever seen

Reactions: 5 users

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
Why are we limiting this to just Richmond's greatest?

Reactions: 3 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Worth raising.....but our 73-74 team were first back to back sjince Dee's 59-60.
Whilst many think the salary cap, draft and professionalism is meant to,even out the comp,this century we have had two three peats .. previously only Melb 55-57, Mel 39-41 Carl 06-08, Coll 27-30. It was never easy to create a dynasty.

But if we win 3 flags in 4 years we are same league as our 67-74 era.

Reactions: 1 users

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
The the 2peat team of the early 20s and the team from the early 30s were bloody good too!

Then there was our '43 premiership side. Some say they were decimated by the War effectively shutting the gate on that era.

The Depression, the Wars and Spanish Flu... and these are only the main obstacles we know of.

One thing for sure is our history is deep and storied so don't be afraid to look back further.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
With apologies to Messrs Hafey, Richmond, Schwab, Hart, Bartlett et al, there can be no doubt that three flags in four years in an 18-team competition surpasses four flags in eight years in a 12-team comp.
Haven't got there yet.

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
It's always difficult to compare teams from different generations and eras, but this team already deserves to be in the pantheon of great Richmond teams.
When it wins this year's flag it will, in my humble opinion, be the greatest team to represent the Yellow and Black.

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
IMHO the two best sides, pound for pound of all time, are the Brisbane 3-peat, and the Hawthorn of the 83-91. Both sides ruthless, brutal, champions all over park, and if you gave that Haw side modern fitness and training and tactics, nobody would ever get near them.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
3 in 4 if we do it will best team. 67-74/5 was an era.
75% of our 22 will be aiming for triple premierships.
Only 4 players were in all flags of Hafey era. 67 and 69 merged the young stars with the old stalwarts. So far only Grigg has retired from this period.
If we are wining flags up to 2024/5 we will be witnessing an unrivalled era . Bring it on.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
IMHO the two best sides, pound for pound of all time, are the Brisbane 3-peat, and the Hawthorn of the 83-91. Both sides ruthless, brutal, champions all over park, and if you gave that Haw side modern fitness and training and tactics, nobody would ever get near them.
Yes the 80s Hawks were phenomenal....every line featured at least two "hall of famers"

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
There are so many anomolies that you can't factor in so black n white as 18 teams vs 12 or interstate travel etc.

I agree that this would be the best Richmond team if they are good enough to win next week but IMO it will only be because of their 3 Cups in 4 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
There are so many anomolies that you can't factor in so black n white as 18 teams vs 12 or interstate travel etc.

I agree that this would be the best Richmond team if they are good enough to win next week but IMO it will be purely because of their 3 Cups in 4 years.
Still need to win it .

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

Yeah, but you can't discount the Collingwood team of 1927-30. They were called the machine for a very good reason. Only team close to them was Richmond, and we lost 3 Grand Finals in a row to that mob.

DS

• Sad

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Winning 3 in 4 makes this the greatest team. The 67-74 run was pretty much 2 different teams with only a handful of players involved in all 4. It was a great era for the Tigers, one we haven't surpassed yet.

immorta

~~we are eternal all this pain is an illusion~~
Mar 31, 2005
Melbourne
Maybe, maybe not. You can only judge a team against their contemporaries, anything else is pure conjecture. Good fun though.

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
Yeah, but you can't discount the Collingwood team of 1927-30. They were called the machine for a very good reason. Only team close to them was Richmond, and we lost 3 Grand Finals in a row to that mob.

DS
There were 12 teams then, 3 of them were still in a sort of 'whipping-boy' project stage , most of that time occupying the bottom 3 spots on the ladder.