The greatest Richmond team ever? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The greatest Richmond team ever?

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
Recent Hawks dynasty sides - you've seen what we do with high possession, controlled game style teams - we demolish them
Geelong 2007-11 - too big, too slow - demolished
Brisbane 2001-3 - tough side but we're tougher - plus they would never have seen Castagna chaos - demolished
Anything pre 2000 - wouldn't know what was happening to them - demolished
Verdict - greatest team ever.

Reactions: 1 user

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Recent Hawks dynasty sides - you've seen what we do with high possession, controlled game style teams - we demolish them
Brisbane 2001-3 - tough side but we're tougher - plus they would never have seen Castagna chaos - demolished

Seems fair to me

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
Not sure why but I've not warmed to the "dynasty" label. We are a bloody good football club. And that makes me very happy.

Is it greedy to start thinking about the next one? :cool:

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Not sure why but I've not warmed to the "dynasty" label. We are a bloody good football club. And that makes me very happy.

Is it greedy to start thinking about the next one? :cool:

No have to win as many as we can while the side is still together. Martin could play for another 4 years possibly more especially if he does a "Matthews" and plays predominately forward pocket for the last few years.

And we are rebuilding on the run with Balta Bolton and Baker so we will have a good side together for some years to go.

Reactions: 5 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Wouldn’t it be great to equal Collingwood famed 4 in a row? And we’d do it without being able to exploit a ridiculous rule that allowed the top finishing team to demand a replay if they didn’t like the result of the first game. Pies supporters always fail to mention that little fact about their much talked about ‘machine’ of the 30’s.

• Love

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Heard an interesting discussion on the radio today in regards to our place against the modern day greats, Brisbane, Geelong and Hawthorn.

Essentially the point was that on a pure talent basis our team is probably fourth on that list which makes us the best team.

Never thought of it in those terms but it sits pretty well with me.
Heard the same BR.
Comparison that those other sides had ‘great players’ across the board.
Whereas they just see it’s Martin & the rest.
I get offended by that.
I think across the ground we have great players and a superstar.
Unfair in my view but that’s me.

I’m too passionate about things.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Wouldn’t it be great to equal Collingwood famed 4 in a row? And we’d do it without being able to exploit a ridiculous rule that allowed the top finishing team to demand a replay if they didn’t like the result of the first game. Pies supporters always fail to mention that little fact about their much talked about ‘machine’ of the 30’s.
One American possibly ‘stood in the way of that Carn.

Stoobes

Tiger Rookie
May 24, 2005
Heard an interesting discussion on the radio today in regards to our place against the modern day greats, Brisbane, Geelong and Hawthorn.

Essentially the point was that on a pure talent basis our team is probably fourth on that list which makes us the best team.

I find it funny that "talent" is only judged by how well they can kick, mark, handball.

Why are these things not classed as talent?
Pressure acts, gut running, 2nd efforts, knock ons to advantage, remaining focused for longer, sticking to the gameplan, running to the right places, cool heads, halving contests, ground ball gathers & disposals to advantage.

It's talent! Not everyone can do it or else they'd be doing it. Talent takes time to develop, nobody is born talented. Some worked harder when they were younger and so look like they were.
Michael Jordan was cut from his high school team, he worked harder than everyone else and never stopped working. He became more talented.
Our team has talent all over the park, we work harder than the rest to do these things. It's why when our "talented stars" are missing we still win.
We took the competition by surprise in 2017 and a lot of people are only now starting to realise how far ahead we've gotten.

Reactions: 1 users

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Looks like we're done here!

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne

This is essentially what Grant Thomas was saying after the 2017 premiership.

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Actually it wasn't ridiculous at all. There was no double-chance back then. There were two semi finals, 1v3 and 2v4 and the winners met in a final. Finishing first was no different to finishing fourth. So the "challenge" rule, as it was called, was the only mechanism they had to give incentive and benefit to still finish first once a finals spot had been secured.
The only ridiculous aspect of the rule was that it meant that you didn't specifically know which game would end up being the "Grand" Final. And that just wouldn't fly today.
In any case, it would have been a useful rule in 2018 !

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
We have more great players than most realise, but we are also the best team. So even across the team and although Dusty stands out he can only do his thing with a team chock full of great players to facilitate his magic.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Actually it wasn't ridiculous at all. There was no double-chance back then. There were two semi finals, 1v3 and 2v4 and the winners met in a final. Finishing first was no different to finishing fourth. So the "challenge" rule, as it was called, was the only mechanism they had to give incentive and benefit to still finish first once a finals spot had been secured.
The only ridiculous aspect of the rule was that it meant that you didn't specifically know which game would end up being the "Grand" Final. And that just wouldn't fly today.
In any case, it would have been a useful rule in 2018 !
Funny how it was replaced with something else after the Pies used it successfully.