The I ❤️ Collingwood thread. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The I ❤️ Collingwood thread.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Same, not the age though. :) I was born 3 months before the 67 flag. Have seen 3 of them.

Anyone been to all 7?

Ive got an uncle who's witnessed 7 tiger flags at The G

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Born in 56 so 7 flags for me. Only Hawforn 13 n Carlscum 8 have won more flags than us in that time. Half a smidgin of luck n we'll be equal to Carlscums 8 since 56 next year n we'll also bring our overall tally to 13 same as Hawforn.
Roll on 2020 footy season.

Reactions: 1 user

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Born in 56 so 7 flags for me. Only Hawforn 13 n Carlscum 8 have won more flags than us in that time. Half a smidgin of luck n we'll be equal to Carlscums 8 since 56 next year n we'll also bring our overall tally to 13 same as Hawforn.
Roll on 2020 footy season.

Born in 59 so same for me.

In 1980 when we won our 10th flag, Melbourne and Essendon were on 12 and Collingwood and Carlton led the pack with 13,

Did anyone think it would take 40 years just to catch Melbourne?

That 37 years was such a waste!

• Sad

SCAJMW

Tiger Cub
Dec 15, 2008
7 flags for me, and have seen five in person. 73/74 i stood in the concrete area directly behind the City End goals. It was called "The Pigsty" As a young fella from the country the antics certainly opened up my eyes. It really was wild west

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
7 flags for me, and have seen five in person. 73/74 i stood in the concrete area directly behind the City End goals. It was called "The Pigsty" As a young fella from the country the antics certainly opened up my eyes. It really was wild west
Oh, I must apologise. I was one of the great unwashed there in both ‘73 and ‘74.

If I recall correctly, I singularly consumed a slab of VB before 3/4 time in the reserves in ‘73. It was so crowded in the standing room at the Brunton Ave end that it you raised your arm to scratch your head, it took 15 minutes before you were able to bring down your arm. So crowded!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Or looking at it another way ... we have won as many flags in the last three years as they have in the last 61.

A great mate of mine, who I almost feel sorry for but just can't, is a Magpies fan who has been to 6 Grandfinals to support his team for 5 losses and a draw. Because we live in WA, he uses a contact at Geelong to buy a Cats grandfinal breakfast package which includes a GF ticket, at a cool $2000 a pop.

When they played that draw with the Saints, he didn't have the cash to go over for the replay :rotfl2

And to cap that off, the Monday after the drawn GF, the West Australian ran a story on how many WA football fans put $50 on the draw (generally at 50:1) so that they had the funds to fly back the following week for the replay.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
That 37 years was such a waste!

I disagree.

It was a perfect maturation period of pure joy

It was kind of a Sisyphus experience, but the rock squashed the Crows on the way down and then we were liberated and looted Swan St BWS

I reckon I'd agree to another 37 year stretch if I knew I got to feel that good at the end again

Last edited:

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
I disagree.

It was kind of a Sisyphus experience, but the rock squashed the Crows on the way down and then we were liberated and looted Swan St BWS

I reckon I'd agree to another 37 year stretch if I knew I got to feel that good at the end again

That’s a great perspective. Everything that has happened has led us to this place.

Cant argue with it, it’s a great place.

Last edited:

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
I disagree.

It is an interesting point.

Do you reckon we’d be as strong a club as we are if we hadn’t gone through that pain?

I am really not sure.

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
I often thought during those 37 years that when the wheel eventually turned (as it surely would), we would be paid back in spades ... so maybe there are a few to go yet.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I have seen 7 Tigers flags live and 2 defeats. I have less memory of 67 than the others but I do recall 69 quite well.

Apart from the last 2 the one that stands out to me in my memory is 1974. It was the Tigers vs the world because every neutral wanted North to win their first flag but we were just too good.

Apart from the GFs the final that stands out to me the most was the 73 prelim against our hated enemy in Collingwood when we were 6 goals down at halftime and a hobbled Royce Hart came on. You could feel the lift in the crowd when our superstar came out with the team, it's a feeling I still remember. My Dad hated Collingwood with a passion and I have carried that on from him.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
It is an interesting point.

Do you reckon we’d be as strong a club as we are if we hadn’t gone through that pain?

I am really not sure.

I think the club could have got away with 20 years in the wilderness.

But I think the depth and complexity of the flood of emotion, memories, relief and euphoria we all felt in 2017

needed the full 37 years to mature.

glenn downing

Tiger Cub
Jun 2, 2014
I have seen 7 Tigers flags live and 2 defeats. I have less memory of 67 than the others but I do recall 69 quite well.

Apart from the last 2 the one that stands out to me in my memory is 1974. It was the Tigers vs the world because every neutral wanted North to win their first flag but we were just too good.

Apart from the GFs the final that stands out to me the most was the 73 prelim against our hated enemy in Collingwood when we were 6 goals down at halftime and a hobbled Royce Hart came on. You could feel the lift in the crowd when our superstar came out with the team, it's a feeling I still remember. My Dad hated Collingwood with a passion and I have carried that on from him.
I was a bit young to go to the 1969 grand final but I have seen 5 tiger flags live and 2 GF defeats live. My first final attended was the 1971 preliminary final in which we lost to St Kilda. I recall being a very upset 8 year old at losing that game. First grand final I attended was the 1972 grand final, in which our team was humiliated by Carlton. What made that loss particularly hard to take was that our team had beaten Carlton convincingly in the semi final replay game. Also, I remember my parents telling me after the game that they had recognised two current VFL umpires sitting nearby us and my parents were sure that that these umpires were actually barracking for Carlton during the game. I think this is when my utter despise of Carlton began. It was such a great feeling when our team got sweet revenge on Carlton in the 1973 GF. The Laurie Fowler classic bump on Big Nick was a standout moment.
I too have vivid memories of the 1973 prelim final and the heroics of Royce Hart. Later that year my Dad bought me a life size poster of Royce Hart and I was so excited to put the poster of my hero up on my bedroom wall. My Dad was born and raised in Richmond and he also hated Collingwood with a passion and I too have carried that on from him. He grew up in the 1930's and 1940's and I remember him telling me stories of the strong tribalism between the good people of Richmond and the undesirable people/scum of Collingwood. As a youngster he was once told off by Jack Dyer for causing trouble in the streets of Richmond.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
All this induces so much great nostalgia. It's no fun getting 'older' but it IS great to have been around to see all SEVEN of our flags from the wonderful 1967 win which broke a similar drought of 24 years from 1943. Similarly we were regarded as no-hopers by most, so '67 was greeted with rapture by Tiges fans. Funny, always felt that many of my fellow-posters on here were similar vintage - 50s to 60s - but hereby confirmed. Amusing, but you could tell by the level and depth of knowledge and experience.

Hart was the 'renaissance' player for RFC's rebirth as power team of the VFL. Those 60s flags teams were star-studded. The explosive, scintillating Barrot with his 60m dropkicks was like the Dusty Martin of the team, and there were heaps of other brilliant players like Bourke, Clay, Sheeds, Bartlett, Green, Northey, Richardsons and co. along with many solid role-players. But Hart was the star; the equivalent of Riewoldt/Lynch, for that era. His effort to turn that '73 prelim was so exciting.

Unfortunately, had to watch most on TV, until I got to attend that heartbreaking 1972 GF for my first live. I was still in disbelief for what unfolded before my eyes; at the time and for days after. It was like some cruelly ordained fate. We scored heavily, mounting a comeback, but they just kept answering.
However, 1973/74 erased the bad memories to an extent. While 1980 was that much sweeter for thrashing the Colliwobbles, but only watched on the tube. Being there live at 2017 and now 2019, is just the sweetest thing. Feel so fortunate to see 7 in a lifetime ... so far.
[Imagine being an Aints, Dogs or Dees follower!!]

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach

Yes, that was a palpable experience the PF in '74.

But to return to GFs, the '69 had its moment with Eric Moore standing his ground in the goal square, marking, getting flattened and then dusting himself off and goaling. as I recall, we were 10 pts down approaching 3/4 time. To a man the team and the crowd lifted; steam rolled the Blues after that incident. another great final by #24, Billy Barrot!

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
All this induces so much great nostalgia. It's no fun getting 'older' but it IS great to have been around to see all SEVEN of our flags from the wonderful 1967 win which broke a similar drought of 24 years from 1943. Similarly we were regarded as no-hopers by most, so '67 was greeted with rapture by Tiges fans. Funny, always felt that many of my fellow-posters on here were similar vintage - 50s to 60s - but hereby confirmed. Amusing, but you could tell by the level and depth of knowledge and experience.

Hart was the 'renaissance' player for RFC's rebirth as power team of the VFL. Those 60s flags teams were star-studded. The explosive, scintillating Barrot with his 60m dropkicks was like the Dusty Martin of the team, and there were heaps of other brilliant players like Bourke, Clay, Sheeds, Bartlett, Green, Northey, Richardsons and co. along with many solid role-players. But Hart was the star; the equivalent of Riewoldt/Lynch, for that era. His effort to turn that '73 prelim was so exciting.

Unfortunately, had to watch most on TV, until I got to attend that heartbreaking 1972 GF for my first live. I was still in disbelief for what unfolded before my eyes; at the time and for days after. It was like some cruelly ordained fate. We scored heavily, mounting a comeback, but they just kept answering.
However, 1973/74 erased the bad memories to an extent. While 1980 was that much sweeter for thrashing the Colliwobbles, but only watched on the tube. Being there live at 2017 and now 2019, is just the sweetest thing. Feel so fortunate to see 7 in a lifetime ... so far.
[Imagine being an Aints, Dogs or Dees follower!!]

Not sure if any of 67, 69, 73, 74 were on "live" TV.
My vivid memory is listening to '67 on the radio out in the backyard with my old man (who had endured the 24 year drought up to that point).
Presumably we got some form of replay that night - but can't remember if they showed the whole game in those days.
Likewise I remember listening to the '72 GF on a car radio which was parked at the local cricket since it must have been the first week of the cricket season (coz the GF was put back a week after the 2nd semi draw)
Fortunately I got to attend in '73 and stood behind the goals where Balmey did his dirty deed on Southby.
I couldn't get to '74 - but don't remember if that was on on TV - or another radio broadcast.