The I ❤️ Collingwood thread. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The I ❤️ Collingwood thread.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Not sure if any of 67, 69, 73, 74 were on "live" TV.
My vivid memory is listening to '67 on the radio out in the backyard with my old man (who had endured the 24 year drought up to that point).
Presumably we got some form of replay that night - but can't remember if they showed the whole game in those days.
Likewise I remember listening to the '72 GF on a car radio which was parked at the local cricket since it must have been the first week of the cricket season (coz the GF was put back a week after the 2nd semi draw)
Fortunately I got to attend in '73 and stood behind the goals where Balmey did his dirty deed on Southby.
I couldn't get to '74 - but don't remember if that was on on TV - or another radio broadcast.
I may be wrong, but I think the ‘77 GF was the first one that was televised from start to finish. The replays of the earlier ones were probably extended. I remember those days, hoping that Richmond was the team that got the biggest replay on the TV Saturday night.

Reactions: 1 user

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Not sure if any of 67, 69, 73, 74 were on "live" TV.
My vivid memory is listening to '67 on the radio out in the backyard with my old man (who had endured the 24 year drought up to that point).
Presumably we got some form of replay that night - but can't remember if they showed the whole game in those days.
Likewise I remember listening to the '72 GF on a car radio which was parked at the local cricket since it must have been the first week of the cricket season (coz the GF was put back a week after the 2nd semi draw)
Fortunately I got to attend in '73 and stood behind the goals where Balmey did his dirty deed on Southby.
I couldn't get to '74 - but don't remember if that was on on TV - or another radio broadcast.

Yes, sorry. Should have added - one drawback about being around long enough to see all 7 - is that the memory gets vaguer. Just googled it. First live GF broadcast was 1977 (Wikipedia). But certainly would have seen full replays of those earlier finals after listening avidly on radio beforehand. Probably memory further muddled by getting gifted video copies of earlier flag wins, so many repeat viewings have muddled my memory into thinking like they were watched live, rather than listened to.

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
Yes, sorry. Should have added - one drawback about being around long enough to see all 7 - is that the memory gets vaguer. Just googled it. First live GF broadcast was 1977 (Wikipedia). But certainly would have seen full replays of those earlier finals after listening avidly on radio beforehand. Probably memory further muddled by getting gifted video copies of earlier flag wins, so many repeat viewings have muddled my memory into thinking like they were watched live, rather than listened to.
I consider these grand Richmond recollections are too fine to be discussed within the subject title thread!

Reactions: 2 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008

Totally understand.
I used to have VHS tapes of those GF's (recorded from those Ch 7 GF eve Footy marathons) and more recently have had the full set of DVD's.
And so over the (dismal 37) years have often sat down and watched one or other - and because they were such great moments it's natural that they become embedded in our brains.
Anyway the best thing now is that we no longer have to totally rely on those "oldies".
Let the good times keep on rolling.

Reactions: 2 users

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Games were never live on TV in the 60s and early 70s, they were replayed on Saturday night. There were 6 games a week and about an hour and a half on the replay, including ads. Usually, that meant about a quarter or the main game, maybe 20 minutes of the second. Generally a third game got a highlights package.

The hour and a half format still applied to the finals, so only a bit over half the game was replayed.

The Grand Final was replayed in its entirety. What a treat that was! Can’t remember if they showed ads, probably only at the breaks.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Games were never live on TV in the 60s and early 70s, they were replayed on Saturday night. There were 6 games a week and about an hour and a half on the replay, including ads. Usually, that meant about a quarter or the main game, maybe 20 minutes of the second. Generally a third game got a highlights package.

The hour and a half format still applied to the finals, so only a bit over half the game was replayed.

The Grand Final was replayed in its entirety. What a treat that was! Can’t remember if they showed ads, probably only at the breaks.
Yeah, you got a quarter of the main game (seemed to feature Collingwood more often than not) and it was usually the 3Rd quarter for some reason.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
I may be wrong, but I think the ‘77 GF was the first one that was televised from start to finish. The replays of the earlier ones were probably extended. I remember those days, hoping that Richmond was the team that got the biggest replay on the TV Saturday night.
Correct Carn. 77 was the first.
In colour too !

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004

Didn’t they in the 60s televise the last quarter of H&A live?

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I have seen 7 Tigers flags live and 2 defeats. I have less memory of 67 than the others but I do recall 69 quite well.

Apart from the last 2 the one that stands out to me in my memory is 1974. It was the Tigers vs the world because every neutral wanted North to win their first flag but we were just too good.

Apart from the GFs the final that stands out to me the most was the 73 prelim against our hated enemy in Collingwood when we were 6 goals down at halftime and a hobbled Royce Hart came on. You could feel the lift in the crowd when our superstar came out with the team, it's a feeling I still remember. My Dad hated Collingwood with a passion and I have carried that on from him.

Alive for 7 but moved to Melbourne at the start of 1974. I was a Richmond supporter . . . so the fact that North had no flag meant nothing to us. It was us against the world and we won, I was so rapt. Pity about the '75 PF.

That '73 prelim is astounding, fantastic game and on a par with the 1970 GF which is a great game too. The full '73 prelim is on YouTube, you have to watch this.

DS

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Alive for 7 but moved to Melbourne at the start of 1974. I was a Richmond supporter . . . so the fact that North had no flag meant nothing to us. It was us against the world and we won, I was so rapt. Pity about the '75 PF.

That '73 prelim is astounding, fantastic game and on a par with the 1970 GF which is a great game too. The full '73 prelim is on YouTube, you have to watch this.

DS
I have the 73 prelim on my computer DS. Not something you watch all the time but every now and again!

Reactions: 1 user

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Ok, just did some research.

The 1974 GF was the first telecast in colour. This opposed to being broadcast, the difference being a telecast is not live whereas a broadcast is.

1977 was the first GF broadcast in its entirety. So technically, 1977 was the first broadcast in colour in its entirety.