The I ❤️ Collingwood thread. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The I ❤️ Collingwood thread.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Reading back, I think it was my bad.

1974 Tigers vs North was first in colour.

But you guys were talking about the first broadcast live in its entirety? I have no idea which GF that was.
As stated previously 77 was the first live telecast and there was conjecture over whether the replay would go out live as the VFL was worried about selling it out.
From memory the rumour was Ron Casey made sure it was sold old by having 7 buy up the surplus.
I went to the first and queued up for my collingwood sister for the replay.... only time I've ever done something nice for a pies supporter!

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Not at all.
I had to double check as I’m sure I’d read it was and found this courtesy of Wiki:

• At the end of the 1960 season, the VFL estimated that the live telecast of the last quarter of three VFL matches each Saturday afternoon had cost at least 245,000 spectators, and the VFL decided to discontinue this practice (which had been introduced in 1957).
And this courtesy of The Roar:

“I thought I would take a trip down memory lane.

The broadcasting of the then VFL goes back to the earliest days of TV in Australia and began as nothing more than a bit of an experiment, which became an instant hit with fans.

Sounds like good news, but in fact this scared the living daylights out of the VFL management, who could only envisage the loss of gate receipts, recalling that at that point, they were allowing the broadcasters into the grounds for next to nothing.

Crowds remained good in 1957 but started to drop over the next two seasons, and reached a nadir in 1960. At that point the VFL rejected 14,000 pounds from all three stations to broadcast the last quarter live, and they also rejected replays.

Crowds jumped up by 360,000 in 1961”

SCAJMW

Tiger Cub
Dec 15, 2008
I was a bit young to go to the 1969 grand final but I have seen 5 tiger flags live and 2 GF defeats live. My first final attended was the 1971 preliminary final in which we lost to St Kilda. I recall being a very upset 8 year old at losing that game. First grand final I attended was the 1972 grand final, in which our team was humiliated by Carlton. What made that loss particularly hard to take was that our team had beaten Carlton convincingly in the semi final replay game. Also, I remember my parents telling me after the game that they had recognised two current VFL umpires sitting nearby us and my parents were sure that that these umpires were actually barracking for Carlton during the game. I think this is when my utter despise of Carlton began. It was such a great feeling when our team got sweet revenge on Carlton in the 1973 GF. The Laurie Fowler classic bump on Big Nick was a standout moment.
I too have vivid memories of the 1973 prelim final and the heroics of Royce Hart. Later that year my Dad bought me a life size poster of Royce Hart and I was so excited to put the poster of my hero up on my bedroom wall. My Dad was born and raised in Richmond and he also hated Collingwood with a passion and I too have carried that on from him. He grew up in the 1930's and 1940's and I remember him telling me stories of the strong tribalism between the good people of Richmond and the undesirable people/scum of Collingwood. As a youngster he was once told off by Jack Dyer for causing trouble in the streets of Richmond.
In the 73 Prelim, after half time Ian Stewart went to hff and was just as important as Royce, not that many possessions but everyone just pure class. Ahead of his time, beautiful kick either feet and a great mark above his head for his size. Shame we lost bustling Billy Barrott but we came out way ahead in the swap.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
The 1972 Grand Final was definitely live on TV in southern NSW as that was the very start of my Richmond obsession. It was in black and white but that could be because we only had a black and white TV.

Made my little brother pick which team he would follow and he picked the one with the squiggles on the front. He won that day. Have hated Carlton ever since and lorded it over him in 74 and 75

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
2002 GF on Fox last night and the same shots of Eddie watching in the stands as the game slips away in the last qtr
His face is not quite as fat and jowly as now but the misery is exactly the same.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
2002 GF on Fox last night and the same shots of Eddie watching in the stands as the game slips away in the last qtr
His face is not quite as fat and jowly as now but the misery is exactly the same.
Yeah, but was his head all purple as well?

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Copyingwood were the last team to debut a player in a Grand Final..... they got flogged.
Pickett debuts for the Mighty Tigers in the GF...... we flog GWS, i get a lot of joy out of that.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
The Herald Sun headline confuses me a little re Collingwoods midfield rating by Brendan Goddard. It seems to suggest it's rated No. 1 but reading the article i looks like it's rated no. 3

Or maybe they are referring to it as the No. 1 over rated Midfield in VFL / AFL history which would make total sense.

Our midfield came in at number 4 but when you look at the list of mids, they've left out Edwards and Lambert, i gues sin the interests of evenness, as it wouldn't be fair as we already have the best defense and the best attack.

Maybe they should have just written an article on the best interchange benches, but with our depth i guess we'd have that sewn up too.

So many paper fill articles this time of year!

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
In the 73 Prelim, after half time Ian Stewart went to hff and was just as important as Royce, not that many possessions but everyone just pure class. Ahead of his time, beautiful kick either feet and a great mark above his head for his size. Shame we lost bustling Billy Barrott but we came out way ahead in the swap.
Yes that’s right and there were plenty who lifted after halftime including Neil Balme who kicked 5 for the game I think. The thing about Royce coming on was the lift it gave the team and the crowd.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
The Herald Sun headline confuses me a little re Collingwoods midfield rating by Brendan Goddard. It seems to suggest it's rated No. 1 but reading the article i looks like it's rated no. 3

Or maybe they are referring to it as the No. 1 over rated Midfield in VFL / AFL history which would make total sense.

Our midfield came in at number 4 but when you look at the list of mids, they've left out Edwards and Lambert, i gues sin the interests of evenness, as it wouldn't be fair as we already have the best defense and the best attack.

Maybe they should have just written an article on the best interchange benches, but with our depth i guess we'd have that sewn up too.

Article is fundamentally flawed as discussed here in the Shedda thread.

Headline is (deliberately) misleading coz it refers to “No 1” but in the fine print says “in Victoria”

Goddard is ..... have already said it

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003

Read Goddard's pile of dribble this morn n instantly came to the obvious solution that Goddard seriously needs to spend more time playing flog, erm I mean golf.
*smile* left out Lamblett n Shedda who both spend a fair bit of time in our midfield. Not sure how anyone can pretend to do an appraisal of clubs mid strength when some clubs supposedly only have six mids while others such as #lolnorf have ten WTF?

• Wow

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Currently watching Fox Footy channel replaying the grand ol' Collingwood choke in the 1970 GF. What a pleasure.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Currently watching Fox Footy channel replaying the grand ol' Collingwood choke in the **** GF. What a pleasure.

This could have been the trivia question in the other thread - and with so many correct answers everyone could have been a winner

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Currently watching Fox Footy channel replaying the grand ol' Collingwood choke in the 1970 GF. What a pleasure.
Yes it was great, i enjoyed it almost as much as i did watching a replay of us smashing the Bombers in the 95 semi final.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
Went down to the club superstore today and who was there.........

None other than Nathan Buckley and boy was he making a fuss.

He'd just been told "Sorry we've sold out of "Stronger and Bolder, but we expect a re-supply mid December"!

Nathan's jaw hit the floor.

Now my memory isn't what it used to be, but I will try to quote him word for word.

"Mid December....... f%$k, .i'm trying to plan our pre season. What an I going to do between now and mid December?
Longmuir used to have a good idea where we put witches hats out and the players would tackle them........ or was that run around them...., shoot I can't remember!

He was good at reading Yellow and Black to me. He read page 12 and said hey bucks give them all a cuddle, so I gave them all a cuddle...........

Hey you wouldn't know what's on page 12 of Stronger and Bolder would you"?

One of the staff said "oh yes page 12, that's where Dimma goes around the group sticking his thumb up their bums"!

Nathan looked at him like he just had a light bulb moment and ran off out of the shop.

We all laughed and laughed!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 15 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Went down to the club superstore today and who was there.........

None other than Nathan Buckley and boy was he making a fuss.

He'd just been told "Sorry we've sold out of "Stronger and Bolder, but we expect a re-supply mid December"!

Nathan's jaw hit the floor.

Now my memory isn't what it used to be, but I will try to quote him word for word.

"Mid December....... f%$k, .i'm trying to plan our pre season. What an I going to do between now and mid December?
Longmuir used to have a good idea where we put witches hats out and the players would tackle them........ or was that run around them...., shoot I can't remember!

He was good at reading Yellow and Black to me. He read page 12 and said hey bucks give them all a cuddle, so I gave them all a cuddle...........

Hey you wouldn't know what's on page 12 of Stronger and Bolder would you"?

One of the staff said "oh yes page 12, that's where Dimma goes around the group sticking his thumb up their bums"!

Nathan looked at him like he just had a light bulb moment and ran off out of the shop.

We all laughed and laughed!

When Figgy does get Stronger & Bolder he will cry into his Beer when he reads chapter 3, "100% Committed", and reads Tom and his family were fanatical Collingwood supporters and that Nathan Buckley was Tom's hero, (but then he met Bucks in person), and chose Richmond :)

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users