The I ❤️ Collingwood thread. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The I ❤️ Collingwood thread.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Digression into financial reports has built too much intelligence in this thread.

Let's get back to F*ck Me Figgy....

Reactions: 1 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
If that is the case, then why are we giving them concessions and trying to give them an easy run to the top? Did it cost roughly as much to fund GWS making the GF in 2019 as it did to fund GC winning the wooden spoon? I wouldn’t be surprised if it did. What difference does current on-field success make if their fans aren’t even born yet?

If our focus is on what is going to happen in 50 years time then they may as well both finish last and second last for the next forty years. It will still cost the same. If we are going to have to pay an inter-generational motza before their unborn fans start watching footy then having them play in finals now is a waste.

When these two clubs were created I resented it as a Richmond fan starved of success for a generation. Why should a marketing idea take our potential flags away from us? Why should we be forced further back in the queue for a concept? Now, I am a lot more laid back about it, given the events of the last three years, but nonetheless, why should a marketing idea deny us our next flag, whenever it may come?

As it stands today, nobody barracks for them, nobody goes to their games, nobody watches them on TV, nobody buys Foxtel or Kayo so they can watch GC and GWS play footy. Seriously, when was the last time a team playing off in the Grand Final gave back most of its ticket allocation because they couldn’t sell them? That was just embarrassing. Do the Little Rock, Arkansas Squirrels get to play off in the Super Bowl?

How do loyal Melbourne and St Kilda fans feel when they see a marketing idea playing off in a Grand Final?

Nope, these two clubs are an abomination and have not earned their places in the league. They certainly have not earned the right to play in finals.

You had me until Melbourne fans.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
So all these clubs getting handouts, but Tassie can't have a team because it isn't viable :rolleyes:
Nah. It's because Tassie won't expand or grow the game by bringing in new fans or new revenue. Tassie's been a rusted on footy state for over a hundred years. The thing that a Tassie team would actually do is remove some revenue and fans from the existing clubs that already have a fan base and Govt support over there ( Hawforn, #lolnorf in particular) when the fans move sideways to supporting their own team.

Reactions: 1 user

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Nah. It's because Tassie won't expand or grow the game by bringing in new fans or new revenue. Tassie's been a rusted on footy state for over a hundred years. The thing that a Tassie team would actually do is remove some revenue and fans from the existing clubs that already have a fan base and Govt support over there ( Hawforn, #lolnorf in particular) when the fans move sideways to supporting their own team.

But if the NRL establishes a team there.
AFL is be falling over its self to get a team up and running.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
But if the NRL establishes a team there.
AFL is be falling over its self to get a team up and running.
Haaaarrrgh. Doubt even the no necks would be foolish enough to attempt setting up a team in Tassie. They tried both S.A. n W.A. some years back n failed miserably in both.
At least Aussie rules has had a team in both QLD. n N.S.W. for over a generation and is simply expanding on that base. It'll still take another generation or two to get a proper core in both states, but it should happen.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018

Thing with Tasmanian’s is that if you do a head count, every new member is worth x2.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Can't recall who was being interviewed on radio recently, but he said there are 90k tassie members of AFL clubs at the moment. No idea of the breakdown, but I'm tipping Hawthorn will lose plenty if they get a team.

Easy for me to say, but I reckon North shoulda taken the coin on offer and gone to the coast when they had the chance..... the AFL would've moved heaven and earth for them to have succeeded up there!

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Easy for me to say, but I reckon North shoulda taken the coin on offer and gone to the coast when they had the chance..... the AFL would've moved heaven and earth for them to have succeeded up there!

Agree. They would have won a couple of Grand Finals by now, though their 187 Melbourne based supporters would have been pissy at the move.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Agree. They would have won a couple of Grand Finals by now, though their 187 Melbourne based supporters would have been pissy at the move.

Absolutely agree
North are a complete waste of space and resources and energy and money and ......... in Vic and Melb
It’s in everyone’s interests - well OK apart from the handful of people who currently watch them at home games - and they will still get to see plenty of live away games in Vic if they were a Tassie team
We must just get rid of them somehow and forever - so why not this way
The only sensible way to get a Tassie team is relocation of a Vic team and North has to be the one

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Absolutely agree
North are a complete waste of space and resources and energy and money and ......... in Vic and Melb
It’s in everyone’s interests - well OK apart from the handful of people who currently watch them at home games - and they will still get to see plenty of live away games in Vic if they were a Tassie team
We must just get rid of them somehow and forever - so why not this way
The only sensible way to get a Tassie team is relocation of a Vic team and North has to be the one
no way, we need a side in Tassie, 19 teams , 18 rounds, 9 home & 9 away , reverse the fixture the following year

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
There will be more teams sometime in the future. Means more games per round = more media $

22 teams would be the ultimate goal. Will be some years away.

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
There will be more teams sometime in the future. Means more games per round = more media $

22 teams would be the ultimate goal. Will be some years away.
Where would they be located?

There's enough in Melbourne (some will say too many). Can't see Adelaide or Perth supporting a third team. Maybe another on in Sydney, in say 30 years? LOL.

How about one in Tassie (they deserve a team being a true football state), maybe one in Darwin? Maybe one in FNQ? Maybe one in NZ, China, India? Outer Mongolia?

Just wish they would leave things alone, especially the bloody rules.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Splitting hairs here but with 19 teams, it would take 19 rounds to play each other once.

I'm assuming the tazwegian means 18 matches played by each team - and that you pointing out that 18 matches plus a bye would mean it's over 19 rounds.

Reality is we're gonna have a compromised fixture for a long long long time.