The I ❤️ Collingwood thread. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The I ❤️ Collingwood thread.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Beams also tightened up their salary cap at a time they didn't need it.

If he's not impacting on the field for the Skunks then that's a massive win for everyone else, he may cost them another player in the next 18 months and also stops them trading in a true bonafide who could be the difference for them ala Tommy Lynchmond.

It was a gamble, at his best Beams no doubt lifts the Maggots midfield to another level a quality player which they probably identified as a weakness after the GF loss when Shuey, Yeo, Sheed, Hurn and co carved em up. Then there was the fave son and premiership player experience to go with it.

Shame for Dayne as he was a quality player however he hasn't been traveling overly well for a few years now.

Its in his best interests to get his life in order first.

Good luck to Dayne for his recovery ....................... but up yours to Eddiewood.

If Grundy goes down they are dead set in a world of hurt.

Reactions: 3 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Yes, TBF, no one can predict when someone might strike a serious mental health problem. Although, suspect BrisVegas may have had an inkling.
But Cartoon definitely knew about Yarran's range of problems but had no hesitation in off-loading him to us. No duty of care ever came into it for them.

Reactions: 1 user

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Beams (almost 29 at the time) + 41 + 44 for 18 + 56 + Collingwood's first rounder from the next year's draft (2019).
It was a boo-boo the moment it happened.
Yep. Even if Beams was playing every game it was a mistake.

Gazmatron

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 23, 2013
Beams (almost 29 at the time) + 41 + 44 for 18 + 56 + Collingwood's first rounder from the next year's draft (2019).
It was a boo-boo the moment it happened.
Karma. Did they not screw Brisbane when Beams wanted to go "home"?

Reactions: 3 users

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
My two cents worth......

When Collingwood recruited Treloar, apart from doing us a massive favour as it turns out, I actually couldn't see why. They already had a very good midfield and Treloar just didn't seem to be a good investment. He took the place of a capable player and they spent far too much adding that extra depth.

Then they recruit Beams and basically ignore their lack of KPP, particularly forwards. This amplifies the investment in both Treloar and Beams off the scale. It is clearly a deliberate strategy. While they do make a late play for Tom Lynch, a move I believe largely driven by the demands of their fanbase as opposed to what they thought was good list management, he wants a premiership and turns them down, a savage indictment of where there list is at delivered by the best Free Agent available.

Collingwood’s recruiting over the last few years leads me to think they thought they understood the impact of the 6 6 6 rule and recruited for it, but have misread it. When the rule was first introduced last year, Collingwood looked a million bucks. They had all these runners who could use the ball and as other teams struggled to adjust to the new rules, they exploited the one on one match-ups.

But as the competition figured it out, particularly the better teams, Collingwood fell back to the pack very quickly then got overtaken. It culminated in a prelim final defeat to a vastly understrength interstate opponent at the Pies home ground. It was close in the end, but only because the fitness of Collingwood's runners allowed them to take control in the last term. Early on when the Giants brought the heat, the Pies didn't have the tall timber down back to counter the Giants tall forwards. In the last qtr when they needed a mark inside 50, the Pies had no tall player there to snaffle one. One team had a spine, the other didn't. Regardless, Collingwood still should have won that game easily which suggests that they had an off day (like us in 2018), but the only thing that enabled GWS to get up was the structure of their team and the inability of Collingwood to match it.

I understand that Buckley was on the committee that oversaw the development and implementation of the 6 6 6 rule. The only other coach on the committee was Salty Scott from Geelong. I am not certain how long they were on the committee before the rule was introduced, and how long the rule was considered be fore that, but both of these clubs went hard recruiting premium midfield talent ahead of other positions of need, and both bowed out in a Prelim. Close but no cigar, and the 'advantage' these teams had early in 2019 is now long gone. Collingwood in particular faces the unpalatable prospect overt the next few years of being close to winning a flag, but also a long way from it. They will play finals for the next few years, and probably be top 4 at least once, but their lack of KPP is going to hurt a lot at the business end of the season.

Reactions: 14 users

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
Thanks streak!

The thing that really stood out for me in the style of other finals teams this year was a stubborn desire to work the boundaries. The last quarter of Geel-bris looked like kick to kick for 20 minutes until someone finally had the balls to kick it in board and run and they won. Same with gws Collingwood if I remember correctly. It’s as though other teams get stuck trying to craft the perfect team/game plan/ ball security etc and forget how to assess situations with clarity and adjust

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
My two cents worth......

When Collingwood recruited Treloar, apart from doing us a massive favour as it turns out, I actually couldn't see why. They already had a very good midfield and Treloar just didn't seem to be a good investment. He took the place of a capable player and they spent far too much adding that extra depth.

Then they recruit Beams and basically ignore their lack of KPP, particularly forwards. This amplifies the investment in both Treloar and Beams off the scale. It is clearly a deliberate strategy. While they do make a late play for Tom Lynch, a move I believe largely driven by the demands of their fanbase as opposed to what they thought was good list management, he wants a premiership and turns them down, a savage indictment of where there list is at delivered by the best Free Agent available.

Collingwood’s recruiting over the last few years leads me to think they thought they understood the impact of the 6 6 6 rule and recruited for it, but have misread it. When the rule was first introduced last year, Collingwood looked a million bucks. They had all these runners who could use the ball and as other teams struggled to adjust to the new rules, they exploited the one on one match-ups.

But as the competition figured it out, particularly the better teams, Collingwood fell back to the pack very quickly then got overtaken. It culminated in a prelim final defeat to a vastly understrength interstate opponent at the Pies home ground. It was close in the end, but only because the fitness of Collingwood's runners allowed them to take control in the last term. Early on when the Giants brought the heat, the Pies didn't have the tall timber down back to counter the Giants tall forwards. In the last qtr when they needed a mark inside 50, the Pies had no tall player there to snaffle one. One team had a spine, the other didn't. Regardless, Collingwood still should have won that game easily which suggests that they had an off day (like us in 2018), but the only thing that enabled GWS to get up was the structure of their team and the inability of Collingwood to match it.

I understand that Buckley was on the committee that oversaw the development and implementation of the 6 6 6 rule. The only other coach on the committee was Salty Scott from Geelong. I am not certain how long they were on the committee before the rule was introduced, and how long the rule was considered be fore that, but both of these clubs went hard recruiting premium midfield talent ahead of other positions of need, and both bowed out in a Prelim. Close but no cigar, and the 'advantage' these teams had early in 2019 is now long gone. Collingwood in particular faces the unpalatable prospect overt the next few years of being close to winning a flag, but also a long way from it. They will play finals for the next few years, and probably be top 4 at least once, but their lack of KPP is going to hurt a lot at the business end of the season.
Great insight streaka..... @Mr T. We need a sealed section to stop Bucks going past the centrefold and onto the articles to work out where he's gone wrong!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Thanks streak!

The thing that really stood out for me in the style of other finals teams this year was a stubborn desire to work the boundaries. The last quarter of Geel-bris looked like kick to kick for 20 minutes until someone finally had the balls to kick it in board and run and they won. Same with gws Collingwood if I remember correctly. It’s as though other teams get stuck trying to craft the perfect team/game plan/ ball security etc and forget how to assess situations with clarity and adjust
And the lot of them got stitched up by a mediocre bunch of numpties playing chaos football again.:cupgold:cupgold

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Could not have happened to a better club

Give away 2 x 1st rounders for a 29 year old who plays less than 20 games and gets a sh!t load of $$$ on a long deal thats going to impact their cap and will lose a better player accordingly.

I remember the pies supporters at a Rich v Pies yelling out to us .............. Ohh where is Yarran , Cant see him out there
Yarran Tigers best player , etc etc

No Pity for this Scum team , Hope Beams milks them for the term of the contract

Reactions: 2 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
My two cents worth......

Great post Streaker. That was worth 2000 cents. Besides feeling proud of my Tigers, I wanna keep bingeing with a Chokingwood collapse feast.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
Their 2019 was derailed by injuries, Beams included. They were not the same dominant team as 2018.

• Haha

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney
I'm licking my fingers especially as Greedy Bundy still hasn't signed. Eddie needs to find a rogue accountant.
Eddies Christmas shopping this year...

66152715-concept-of-sale-with-shopping-cart-paper-bags-on-wooden-background-over-black-close-up.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Could not have happened to a better club

Give away 2 x 1st rounders for a 29 year old who plays less than 20 games and gets a sh!t load of $$$ on a long deal thats going to impact their cap and will lose a better player accordingly.

I remember the pies supporters at a Rich v Pies yelling out to us .............. Ohh where is Yarran , Cant see him out there
Yarran Tigers best player , etc etc

No Pity for this Scum team , Hope Beams milks them for the term of the contract

There recruiting over the last 6-7 years has gone past our 97-2002 era of recruiting.
Huge mistakes. 2 first rounders on a midfielder that would be close to the worse kick in the comp.
4 year deal's to players like Mayne & Aish.
2 first rounders on beams unbelievably bad, at best it should've been a swap of players.
This next 24 months will really hurt there improvement.
Basically they're going into 2020 with the same side they have had over the last 2 years. Wheres the kids?

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Delicious
What that article tells me is this

Beams goy a *smile* load from brisbane then when due to get 500k for 2 years went to the pies for $450k x 4 years

So the pies will have him on their books until the end of 2022 paying him $450k for having a holiday

Perfect