The I ❤️ Collingwood thread. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The I ❤️ Collingwood thread.

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
I heard this was said in April or thereabouts. Why has it come out now? If people were so offended, why didn’t anybody speak up at the time? Sounds like someone with an axe to grind or a sponsor wanting an out without being penalized

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003

Collingwood boss under fire for making ‘appalling’ Jordan De Goey joke in front of AFLW side​

Collingwood president Jeff Browne is under fire after making an “appalling and disrespectful” joke about Jordan De Goey’s New York incident at the club’s AFLW awards, reports the Herald Sun.
De Goey pleaded guilty to a downgraded harassment charge, with three more serious charges including forcible touching and assault dropped following a plea, over an incident at a nightclub over Halloween weekend last year.

Months later Browne was speaking in front of the club’s women’s players, officials, parents and sponsors when he reportedly made a joke involving De Goey.

Watch every blockbuster AFL match this weekend Live & Ad-Break Free In-Play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >

“I hear some of you girls are going overseas tomorrow. I have a message for you from Jordan De Goey, don’t do anything I wouldn’t do,’’ Browne said.

The club told the Herald Sunit was a “bad joke”.

The president, who replaced Mark Korda following months of in-fighting in the aftermath of Eddie McGuire’s exit, told the newspaper: “I made a comment at our best and fairest night which, in hindsight and given the events of the past week, using Jordan as a reference point was not a good example.

“At the time, we had a group of athletes heading overseas the following day and the only intention of my comments were to caution those athletes to not misbehave.’’

A group of Collingwood AFLW players reportedly asked the club to take strong action against De Goey following the New York incident.

He was last week given a $25,000 suspended fine following his behaviour in Bali across the Magpies’ bye, and took personal leave which saw him miss Sunday’s win over GWS.

A Magpies sponsor told the Herald Sun: “I couldn’t believe what I was hearing at first.

“I turned to the person next to me and said: ‘Did he really just make a Jordan De Goey joke?’

“And they just shook their heads in disbelief.

“It was so disrespectful. It would always be inappropriate, but on a night to celebrate the women’s team, it was just appalling.

“I can’t imagine how the players felt having their season and achievements reduced to a joke.”

Another said: “I can’t believe he would be stupid enough to say that.’’
Eddie McGuire's alter ego.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
I doubt he'll be back. Bit of a stretch to the end of season especially with the Scum possibly making the finals, but I reckon he'll weigh his options and play with another club. Even the Bummers are mentioned as interested in him.

Essendon?? That would be a great result. De Goey and Stringer in the same team.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

Collingwood boss under fire for making ‘appalling’ Jordan De Goey joke in front of AFLW side​

Collingwood president Jeff Browne is under fire after making an “appalling and disrespectful” joke about Jordan De Goey’s New York incident at the club’s AFLW awards, reports the Herald Sun.
De Goey pleaded guilty to a downgraded harassment charge, with three more serious charges including forcible touching and assault dropped following a plea, over an incident at a nightclub over Halloween weekend last year.

Months later Browne was speaking in front of the club’s women’s players, officials, parents and sponsors when he reportedly made a joke involving De Goey.

Watch every blockbuster AFL match this weekend Live & Ad-Break Free In-Play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >

“I hear some of you girls are going overseas tomorrow. I have a message for you from Jordan De Goey, don’t do anything I wouldn’t do,’’ Browne said.

The club told the Herald Sunit was a “bad joke”.

The president, who replaced Mark Korda following months of in-fighting in the aftermath of Eddie McGuire’s exit, told the newspaper: “I made a comment at our best and fairest night which, in hindsight and given the events of the past week, using Jordan as a reference point was not a good example.

“At the time, we had a group of athletes heading overseas the following day and the only intention of my comments were to caution those athletes to not misbehave.’’

A group of Collingwood AFLW players reportedly asked the club to take strong action against De Goey following the New York incident.

He was last week given a $25,000 suspended fine following his behaviour in Bali across the Magpies’ bye, and took personal leave which saw him miss Sunday’s win over GWS.

A Magpies sponsor told the Herald Sun: “I couldn’t believe what I was hearing at first.

“I turned to the person next to me and said: ‘Did he really just make a Jordan De Goey joke?’

“And they just shook their heads in disbelief.

“It was so disrespectful. It would always be inappropriate, but on a night to celebrate the women’s team, it was just appalling.

“I can’t imagine how the players felt having their season and achievements reduced to a joke.”

Another said: “I can’t believe he would be stupid enough to say that.’’

F*ck me, that would be appalling if he was addressing the men's team, but at the women's awards night?

They just don't get it.

Making jokes about sexual assault is on the same level as making jokes about peadofiles. Anyone who thinks this doesn't show the distance we have to go to get to some semblance of equality for women is clueless or a misogynist.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
Wow. Be careful Fly don't get ahead of yourself.

View attachment 16624

“We want to act like winners. The siren goes and there’s half a dozen guys laying on the ground,” he said post-match.
“For me, that’s not a winner. That’s acting like a loser. We lost a game, we’re not losers."

kinda get what he's saying, but ....

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
“We want to act like winners. The siren goes and there’s half a dozen guys laying on the ground,” he said post-match.
“For me, that’s not a winner. That’s acting like a loser. We lost a game, we’re not losers."

Yeah don't think it wil go over too well with the players.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
I like it, don't waste time feeling sorry for yourself, you are up to your eyeballs in the race for a premiership.

Get positive, and move on to next week.

Excellent coaching I reckon.

Reactions: 5 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
I think with a top 4 draw next year Collingwood will be back where they belong outside the 8.
Where they dancing with the fans after the game,??
This close game shitt will turn and it won't take much for them to implode.
That's the worse finals forward line I've seen.
Elliott is the only true foward the rest are Richmond 1989 forwards quality .

Reactions: 1 user

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I like it, don't waste time feeling sorry for yourself, you are up to your eyeballs in the race for a premiership.

Understandable, but surely some players were leg sore after that hectic game. Just seems a bit arrogant from Fly.

Reactions: 1 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021

I reckon his head has increased by 5 inches.
It won't take much for it to deflate.
If freo the useless pricks could do a GWS and beat them next week.
McCrae might be sacked over the preseason. Wayne Scimmabush style

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
Yeah don't think it wil go over too well with the players.
I like it.
The players throwing themselves to the ground are doing it for theatrics.
Give me a spell.
These are athletes who gobble up repeat endurance efforts.
The slumping is a "look at me moment".
I am with Fly. Cop it and move on.

Fighting Fury

Tiger Army
Jul 17, 2003

Say it behind closed doors, not to the media circus.

Reactions: 3 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Once the games over It’s irrelevant if you’re lying on the ground or running around like a greyhound. The game is over.

Reactions: 2 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Players may have been on the ground cause they were knackered. Don't think it was anything to do with acting like a loser really.

Reactions: 3 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Players may have been on the ground cause they were knackered. Don't think it was anything to do with acting like a loser really.
Maybe Mcrea after 1 loss thinks he has team full of losers
I don't blame him. I thought that in April

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights

That's up there with if you can't be a footballer look like one.