The I ❤️ Collingwood thread. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The I ❤️ Collingwood thread.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
A friend of mine (Collingwood supporter) made a $1000 bet with a fellow Pie when Bucks was appointed that they would not win a flag with Figgy as coach. Hope he gets to collect on that one.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Is his contract front-loaded? Thought he was getting pretty much the same per season.

Martin's is heavily front end loaded. I am guessing the first year amount was very high $2mil to $2.5m to take advantage of the big increase in total cap last year. Expect the final 4 years to be on lower wages maybe as low as $600/700 as a result.

We then signed Lynch on a heavily back ended contract and as Martin's goes down Lynch's goes up. Again only guessing but expect these two take up about $2mil of the cap between them over the next 6 years

Reactions: 1 users

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
Yes these front-loaded contracts are fraught with danger. Will probably happen with Jack Martin at Carlton too. First 2 years at $1mill per season. Wow.
I can't believe a player can walk from a contract when the front-loaded bit has been completed. The whole contract price should be divided by the number of years, and if you leave after the front-loaded potion, you have to pay the difference.

ie. $3.5 Mil over 5 years (ave $700k/yr)
$1M over the first 2 years, $500k over the last 3 years.

If you leave after 2 years, you have repay $600k
If you leave after 3 years, you have to repay $400k
If you leave after 4 years, you have to repay $200k

Reactions: 3 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Martin's is heavily front end loaded. I am guessing the first year amount was very high $2mil to $2.5m to take advantage of the big increase in total cap last year. Expect the final 4 years to be on lower wages maybe as low as $600/700 as a result.

Ok first I've heard Martin was on $2mill-$2.5mill in 2018. So what was it in 2019? I understood the Tigers already had salary cap pressure in 2018/2019. Doesn't change my mind that front-ended isn't very risky. But you're more likely to do it for a Martin or Franklin than a Beams or Jack Martin. Interestingly Lynch is back loaded. $500K in the first 3 years. I laugh comparing him at $1mill for the next two tears and Jack Martin at $2mill.

Reactions: 1 user

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
I can't believe a player can walk from a contract when the front-loaded bit has been completed. The whole contract price should be divided by the number of years, and if you leave after the front-loaded potion, you have to pay the difference.

ie. $3.5 Mil over 5 years (ave $700k/yr)
$1M over the first 2 years, $500k over the last 3 years.

If you leave after 2 years, you have repay $600k
If you leave after 3 years, you have to repay $400k
If you leave after 4 years, you have to repay $200k

Yep.
I work at Macca’s and this is how my pay is structured,

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Ok first I've heard Martin was on $2mill-$2.5mill om 2018. So what was it in 2019? I understood the Tigers already had salary cap pressure in 2018/2019.

Those figures are just my guess work based off comments at the time of Martin re-signing. Could be completely wrong. North were offering big $ and a comment at the time was that our offer for the first year was higher than theirs. So all heresay and me adding 2 and 2 to get 5. However when we signed Lynch the comments on his back ended contract tied in nicely with the theory

It was one of the biggest free kicks for us with the timing of Martins contract and the big increase in the overall salary cap

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Those figures are just my guess work based off comments at the time of Martin re-signing. Could be completely wrong. North were offering big $ and a comment at the time was that our offer for the first year was higher than theirs. So all heresay and me adding 2 and 2 to get 5. However when we signed Lynch the comments on his back ended contract tied in nicely with the theory

It was one of the biggest free kicks for us with the timing of Martins contract and the big increase in the overall salary cap

OK my mail was that he was roughly getting the same every year supplemented by selling himself outside this. Didn't he make $100K in one book signing sitting?

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Yep.
I work at Macca’s and this is how my pay is structured,
You get paid at Maccas? I thought it was just somewhere the kids could earn a free pig out of left overs at closing time, get money as well. Haaarrrrgh bone arse.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
You get paid at Maccas? I thought it was just somewhere the kids could earn a free pig out of left overs at closing time, get money as well. Haaarrrrgh bone arse.

The left over burgers are a bonus.
But for us millennials it’s hard starting a job on only six figures.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Just fluked it for the last 8 mins of 2018 GF ... on Foxtel again ... but it still puts a smile on the face
That play of McGovern to Vardy to Ryan to Sheed is bliss.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Just fluked it for the last 8 mins of 2018 GF ... on Foxtel again ... but it still puts a smile on the face

No... they were up by 5 goals against a side that struggled to win on the MCG and they still found a way to lose.
Collingwood are hopeless.
In their last 2 premierhips they had to have a Draw then to go on to win them..
Sumich should've kicked that goal at VFL park and what was stkilda doing? Goddard scores to put them in front with all the momentum and they still found a way not to win it.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
May the Ghost of Dom Sheed live forever.....

No... they were up by 5 goals against a side that struggled to win on the MCG and they still found a way to lose.
Collingwood are hopeless.
In their last 2 premierhips they had to have a Draw then to go on to win them..
Agree. They stuffed it up.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Watched that entire match last night. .... have an unhealthy, bordering on perverse desire, seeing the pies lose again!
I know we're the inclusive club but gee, I'd struggle to barrack for us if we had Cox in the team.
He's virtually a cicus act, and possibly the most smug bloke in the game..... headwobbler!

The Lurker

In Victory We Thrive, Eat Em Alive
Nov 24, 2003
Melbourne
I enjoyed Greeenwood smothering a shot at goal with his back in the last few minutes...

• Haha

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Bucks, some advice: leave Collingwood now! 4 flags since 1936, history is against you, Collingwood have not been a flag winning side for 80 years.

DS
Happy for Figgy to stay at Colonwood forever. They just somehow deserve one another n all the angst n heart ache they share.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
I enjoyed Greeenwood smothering a shot at goal with his back in the last few minutes...

From the dud Adams.
Anyone else wouldve snapped a goal, he kicked it out on the full.

The worse part of that Grand final was he allowed the runner to take the heat for his fkup when he shanked a kick to Mr TAB.

I liked it how all year hearing how Collingwood went close to winning the flag, pity the gutless cowards didn't have the balls to say they choked again..

When you have Adams and Treloar as your main midfield engine, you know your flked.
They might get it but they always find ways to give it straight bsck...

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Watched that entire match last night. .... have an unhealthy, bordering on perverse desire, seeing the pies lose again!
I know we're the inclusive club but gee, I'd struggle to barrack for us if we had Cox in the team.
He's virtually a cicus act, and possibly the most smug bloke in the game..... headwobbler!
Yep. Along with: finger twiddler and one sock up, one sock down nerd.