The I ❤️ Collingwood thread. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The I ❤️ Collingwood thread.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Bloody hard barracking for a team that's got them two whinging scott brothers playing for it..... but it is v the filth!
Currently showing 2002 granny on Fox..... think it's the one where they reckon they were robbed... even better! :rotfl1
Hope they show the bit when figjam pitches his normie!:mhihi

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Switched over to see the 86 Vic WA state of origin.

Rioli, Mitchell, Poole, Weightman all spotted so far. All four prominent early, Rioli and Mitchell dominating.

Really interesting watching the best of the best play in that era, contested marking much better but almost all other facets miles behind today.

Interesting to see the change in rules as well. Guys running through the mark non-stop, player with the mark or free often having to avoid them. Must have been just before they made it a penalty.

I remember going over the mark being a 15 metre penalty back in the 1970s, maybe they just didn't enforce it as hard. They also didn't tend to mark the spot and run towards the mark back in those days, just stood where the mark was. I do remember the 50 metre penalty was brought in as clubs had worked out that delaying the player who marked the ball, giving them time to set up properly, was worth a 15 metre penalty. Not worth a 50 metre penalty though - it had to happen as the 15 metre penalty was being abused by just being conceded.

DS

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
The Victorian state of origin team included Healy, Williams, Maddern, Daniher, Weightman, Taylor, Roos, Salmon, Bews, Millane, Pert, Dipper, Brereton and others I can't remember.

I reckon if that same side ran out and played their footy today (as opposed to players with that ability being in this era), the Gold Coast would smash them.

Maybe, but a lot might depend on how many umpires there were and whether every inch of the ground was being video recordered.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
25m was in vogue in the game today, they even had the 25m line marked out from goals to help judge.

Now for a big call.

The Victorian state of origin team included Healy, Williams, Maddern, Daniher, Weightman, Taylor, Roos, Salmon, Bews, Millane, Pert, Dipper, Brereton and others I can't remember.

I reckon if that same side ran out and played their footy today (as opposed to players with that ability being in this era), the Gold Coast would smash them.

That is a perennial debate. The players of today are fitter and stronger (not to mention taller, Jack Dyer would be a rover today) but those players are champions. To some extent it depends on whether the champions of yesterday could be worded up on current strategy and also whether they would be allowed to shirtfront or the like as they did back then.

You watch the style of play years ago and booting a huge kick up the ground to no-one in particular would see it come back with interest in today's game. But with knowledge of the modern strategies the football smarts would help, but the fitness levels would be a huge disadvantage. Imagine how the current Richmond side would compare to even the, very fit at the time, teams Tommy Hafey coached. No contest.

DS

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
25m was in vogue in the game today, they even had the 25m line marked out from goals to help judge.

Now for a big call.

I think you’d find the likes of Dipper, Millane, Dermie, Flea, Diesel, Bews would (literally) smash the soft *smile* of the Gold Coast.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004

Now for a big call.

No flken chance.
Ellis Vs Brereton.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I'm shedding a happy tear while watching the replay of last years Preliminary final between Copingwood and GWS on Foxfooty.

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
Like many others, I have been watching some of the old games on Fox Footy recently, and it lead me to do a little research on something we probably suspected about the Pies and the umpiring they receive. Here are Collingwood's frees for and against in their last 10 Grand Finals.,with the Pies listed first:

1979​
54​
37​
1980​
36​
24​
1981​
34​
32​
1990​
20​
27​
2002​
24​
16​
2003​
18​
13​
2010​
17​
14​
2010 Replay
16​
13​
2011​
21​
18​
2018​
17​
13​

Ironically the only time they 'lost' the free kick count was in their drought breaking flag year in 1990!

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Like many others, I have been watching some of the old games on Fox Footy recently, and it lead me to do a little research on something we probably suspected about the Pies and the umpiring they receive. Here are Collingwood's frees for and against in their last 10 Grand Finals.,with the Pies listed first:

1979​
54​
37​
1980​
36​
24​
1981​
34​
32​
1990​
20​
27​
2002​
24​
16​
2003​
18​
13​
2010​
17​
14​
2010 Replay
16​
13​
2011​
21​
18​
2018​
17​
13​

Ironically the only time they 'lost' the free kick count was in their drought breaking flag year in 1990!

How the flk did they lose it in 18?
What a bunch of spanners.
Duds like Adams kicks it straight to Yeo.
The Turnover king in treloar.
We would've beaten WC, there's no way in the world if we were up by 29 points we would've lost.

Now with under 12's sized qtrs,
It will favour *smile* clubs like Collingwood.
That run out of juice in real games

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
How the flk did they lose it in 18?
What a bunch of spanners.
Duds like Adams kicks it straight to Yeo.
The Turnover king in treloar.
We would've beaten WC, there's no way in the world if we were up by 29 points we would've lost.

Now with under 12's sized qtrs,
It will favour **** clubs like Collingwood.
That run out of juice in real games
They choked big time Zips. It felt like the momentum from beating us in the Prelim carried over into the first quarter and they got the 5 goal lead.

Once West Coast settled, the Pies left the door far enough open for the WC to pinch it. WC were only in front for 7 minutes for the whole match!

Funny that with their golden run with the fluros, the Pies fans were whinging about the last mark to Sheed, wanting a block against Willie Rioli on Maynard.

Ps, if you want to see a one-sided umpiring exhibition, watch the 2016 Grand Final. The Dogs had 20 frees to 8, and some of the frees missed to the Swans were unbelievable!

Reactions: 1 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
They choked big time Zips. It felt like the momentum from beating us in the Prelim carried over into the first quarter and they got the 5 goal lead.

Once West Coast settled, the Pies left the door far enough open for the WC to pinch it. WC were only in front for 7 minutes for the whole match!

Funny that with their golden run with the fluros, the Pies fans were whinging about the last mark to Sheed, wanting a block against Willie Rioli on Maynard.

Ps, if you want to see a one-sided umpiring exhibition, watch the 2016 Grand Final. The Dogs had 20 frees to 8, and some of the frees missed to the Swans were unbelievable!

If WC kicked straight in the last and Darling actually knew how to mark the margin would've been bigger.
It should've been a 4+ goal win to WC at the end.
It was unfair for Collingwood they were playing with 2 men down from the start.
Sidebottom and Maynard should've stayed in bed.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004

The umpiring after half time was deplorable.
*Howe drags the ball back under...ball up.
*Howe gets caught in the goal square trying to break a tackle...ball up
*Crisp runs past Vardy after a free kick...no fifty.

How shhit is Adams. Try hard that kicks like a donkey

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I have trouble controlling my emotions when thinking about the Pies GF loss to the Eagles and their Prelim loss to GWS :banana :rotfl1

Reactions: 1 user

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
If WC kicked straight in the last and Darling actually knew how to mark the margin would've been bigger.
It should've been a 4+ goal win to WC at the end.
It was unfair for Collingwood they were playing with 2 men down from the start.
Sidebottom and Maynard should've stayed in bed.
Yep, if the Eagles had lost, that dropped mark of Darling would go down in folklore for very bad reasons!

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Ha, 24 hours after Dimma did one of those awful til tok videos with his daughter Buckley does one with his son.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Ha, 24 hours after Dimma did one of those awful til tok videos with his daughter Buckley does one with his son.

Big difference Buckley has a ticking noise constantly in between his ears.
There is nothing we have done over the last 3 years Collingwood haven't copied.
Pity they still Collingwood

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I might be in the minority , however reading a lot of social media re hating of the “ VFL” I don’t give a rats rectum about interstate clubs, there no genuine rivalry there just other clubs in the league, the true hatred , despise comes for Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon imho , plus we alll have a little pet hates of the minor Clubs , mine is the Roos . Anyway gives great pleasure knowing it’s a decade since the Pies won a flag, 2 decades since Essendon and a whole 25 years since the Bluezzz. Bloody good time to be a Tiger

Reactions: 5 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I might be in the minority , however reading a lot of social media re hating of the “ VFL” I don’t give a rats rectum about interstate clubs, there no genuine rivalry there just other clubs in the league, the true hatred , despise comes for Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon imho , plus we alll have a little pet hates of the minor Clubs , mine is the Roos . Anyway gives great pleasure knowing it’s a decade since the Pies won a flag, 2 decades since Essendon and a whole 25 years since the Bluezzz. Bloody good time to be a Tiger

Always remember: Collingwood - 4 flags since 1936. Woeful, their glory days are pre WWII.

DS