The I ❤️ Collingwood thread. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The I ❤️ Collingwood thread.

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Bet Eddie finds a reason to stay. Twelve months is a long time in Football.

I hope the reason is that they fail to win a game in 2021.

Reactions: 1 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Whilst Fat Ed is a conflicted flog that has spent 23 years being a bully in club land at with the AFL he is not completely stupid. He knows the Scum are in for a rebuild at a time when money is scarce and doesn't have the patience or will to see it through - time to exit.

Reactions: 1 users

Tass

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 3, 2005
When you compare Eddie to Carter’s retirement at Geelong which virtually happened on the same day.

Carter retired immediately, no fan fare, deputy steps in seamlessly and they are off and running as they should.

Eddie announces retirement in 12 months to give him time to build a succession plan and to bask in his glory. The fact he didn’t have a succession plan in the first place shows how incompetent he is at this governance stuff and he has now made next year at Collingwood all about himself.

Enough said.
This. Spot on

Reactions: 2 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Eddies adopted the Steve Waugh retirement - planned so that for the next 12 months each and every occasion will provide an opportunity for the masses to laud him on his way out

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
We can pretty much jot down today's date as the day Collingwood finally accepted the fact their Premiership window is well and truly shut.

Good luck with the rebuild. De Goey seems like the sort of senior leader that can help forge the new generation into real Collingwood players.

• Haha

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
McGuire can't even jump off a sinking ship with any integrity.

At least Chris Scott just jumped.

McGuire is gonna shuffle his feet, poke around the listing hull, trying to shore up his own place in history,

drawing half-arsed salutes from the crew.

Sorry Ed. To anyone who isnt Collingwood, and many who are,

you'll be consigned to the John Elliot bin of history.

with all the other fat-headed, racist, brash, entitled, narcissist old boys,

who put themselves before the game

Reactions: 9 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Love him or hate him (and I realise most people are in the latter camp), there's no denying he has been a great President. In footy terms he would be a straight up legend in the Hall of Fame.
There is a category for Adminstratirs but none inducted so far have only been Club Presidents. All have been execs in state or national leagues. Might get in as media? But as for Legend he couldn't get Lou over the line.

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Love him or hate him (and I realise most people are in the latter camp), there's no denying he has been a great President. In footy terms he would be a straight up legend in the Hall of Fame.

I dunno, bit of a double edged sword I reckon. Excellent self promoter and that has certainly helped the profile of Collingwood, but has opened his mouth only to embarrass the club a few times too often. Clearly has influence which helps Collingwood, but that too can rebound.

I don't really love or hate him, although I do hate some of the things he has said.

DS

Reactions: 3 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
McGuire and the Filth have taken a leaf out of Scott Morrison's play book, have an enquiry and then keep the findings a secret.

"Heritier Lumumba has called on Collingwood to release a report into his allegations of a racist culture at the famous club.

The 2010 premiership Magpie took to social media on Wednesday night to claim Collingwood had been delivered “an internal review on racism and racial discrimination” and yet had made “no mention of it publicly”.

“As usual, CFC have tried to spin this to avoid associating Eddie’s departure with the findings of the review,” Lumumba posted on Twitter.

“No doubt their intention is to bury the report in ‘new initiatives’ around ‘equality’ as mentioned by McGuire in his speech.”

News Corp approached Collingwood for comment on Wednesday night.

Eddie McGuire made a shock announcement early last week during a Collingwood members forum that he would step down as president at the end of 2021.

McGuire said leading the fight against racism and developing facilities at the Holden Centre and Victoria Park were among his priorities next year.

“I have much to do before I hand on the baton, together with my board and executive we are set to announce significant landmark initiatives in the area of equality, the fight against racism to ensure Collingwood is a safe and welcoming environment for all people, and more on that in due course,” he said.

Lumumba said the Magpies had not provided him with the report and said they “ignored a request for it”.

“If they truly believe in transparency, CFC should make the report public,” he said.

“Instead, they’re doing their best to hide it behind McGuire’s ‘lap of honour’ exit from the club’s presidency.

“CFC’s damage control tactics are predictable. They likely include a strategically crafted apology that will attempt to spin its way out of real accountability.

“CFC has constantly avoided acknowledging their toxicity and institutional failures, or how they punished me for speaking out and used their power as an institution to publicly discredit me.”

Collingwood announced in July that a review into Lumumba’s allegations of a racist culture would be led by a professor of law who chaired the federal government’s 2011 review into Indigenous higher education.

The Pies said at the time that Distinguished Professor Larissa Behrendt AO, a Eualeyai/Kamillaroi woman and Director of Research at the Jumbunna Institute of Indigenous Education and Research at the University of Technology, Sydney, would “revisit the time in which Heritier played at Collingwood”, and get to the bottom of his experiences and the “organisational culture of the club in the day”.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Is that the review he wouldn’t take part in...?

yes - he didn’t trust their process and I think he was right in doing that - he has called out the CFC based on some subtle comments made by Eddie and I am glad he needs to keep the bastards honest

Eddie is the one person I don’t trust in the race space as he just doesn’t get it.