The I ❤️ Collingwood thread. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The I ❤️ Collingwood thread.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Don’t you love it when an arrogant club like collingwood actually believes it’s own hype and drinks it’s own bath water thinking they are about to enter a dynasty period and massively overrate their playing group, but instead crash and burn and come away with nothing.

I would put Carlton and Essendon in that category as well.

Reactions: 2 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
The Pies have loaded up on picks to get the points for Daicos. Someone on here said the number of picks you take to the draft has to equal the number of players you take - so I assume that is actually not the case.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
The Pies have loaded up on picks to get the points for Daicos. Someone on here said the number of picks you take to the draft has to equal the number of players you take - so I assume that is actually not the case.
I think they’ve left list spots open for their players waiting on new contracts.
Once they use those multiple picks for collating points for Daicos, it leaves them able to recontract those players.

Reactions: 1 user

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
I think they’ve left list spots open for their players waiting on new contracts.
Once they use those multiple picks for collating points for Daicos, it leaves them able to recontract those players.
Seems like a massive loophole?

• Wow

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Hate to say this but I had a close look at many of their matches this year, partly because I wanted to see evidence of what I suspected might be on the menu after the seismic shifts over delistings, salary cap issues and Eddie and Buckley's demise. Tanking that is.

I believe there were games where I saw just that - mostly manifested by an apparently mindless possession game playing kick to kick down back, refusing to attack. I was bemused by how many seemed fooled by this; putting it down to Buck's fixated defensive GP. However, what was just as obvious to me was that when they flicked the switch to attacking mode, they could really run the ball fast and effectively to score well. What's more, I was surprised by the breadth of the young talent they had to bring in. Most of them stood up and did well to OK: the likes of Bianco, M.Lynch, Macrae, Poulter, Murphy, McCreery, Henry, Ginnivan. This was in in a team without arguably the best KPD in the comp, Moore, for most of the season and other injured key players at times.

But note: among other poor games and results, lost to WB only by 16, BL by 1, PA by 1, Freo by 12, StK by 9, Cats by 10 etc.
They beat Godeez in an effective 4Q performance for Buck's farewell. Then turned us over by one of the customary Q4 efforts they could turn on when given a pass to attack. This was the last game I could attend: I predicted the switch might get flicked to my son. Blitzed us in Q4.
They almost did the same to the Moggies; later beat WCE by 45. Only turned in 2 crap performances in last 2 games - who cares; no use trying. Caretaker coach; draft position conscious for Daicos2 etc.

Overall, like I said, think that now they're ready for a quick turnaround. They've got a solid coaching panel in on much lower $$, and cleared out 3 overpaid players, none of whom have proven huge losses (Stevenson good season but 'head' issues; Tredder's injury issues, Phillips average). They've cut some more deadwood. Then if you add those young players they got games into with a better season from Grundy and key mids, improved DeGooey and Cameron etc, Quanyor and Noble whom I rate, plus factor in the next Daicos kid, regrettably I don't think they will be down too long. Not with a quality, proven coach who can harness and utilize young talent especially like Fly at the helm.

I wish it wasn't so, but suspect we just witnessed a clever "re-positioning."
So Buckley was so committed to the tank that he was willing to be fired? and the Pies were so committed to covering up their tank that they gave away their 1st rd pick this year?

interesting idea.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
So Buckley was so committed to the tank that he was willing to be fired? and the Pies were so committed to covering up their tank that they gave away their 1st rd pick this year?

interesting idea.
Sheesh! If you were capable of reading and comprehending my first sentence - I'll quote the key words for you! " ... I wanted to see evidence of what I suspected might be on the menu after the seismic shifts over delistings, salary cap issues and Eddie and Buckley's demise."

But I guess you think you're pretty clever coming back with this after all this time trying to diss me. Get a life, and some basic literacy, along with some respect for others' opinions before you launch into silly attacks on someone. Just embarrassed yourself.

Needed to google 'demise'? :unsure:

Last edited:

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
I think the rule is that if you use the cumulative points from say 5 picks to pay for a F/S or Academy selection then you need to use at least 5 draft picks. I think it can include rookie upgrades though.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
One thing is for sure, after today's trade the Pies are looking very sorry for a team in need of a rebuild.

Daicos is going to want to be one hell of a player.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
One thing is for sure, after today's trade the Pies are looking very sorry for a team in need of a rebuild.

Fingers crossed he is a Cameron Cloke or Jason Cloke.

Clubs will Jack Watts him.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne

They could tank for the spoon next year, lose De Goey, Moore and Elliott as free agents and have the first three or four picks in the draft.

Reactions: 1 users

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
They could tank for the spoon next year, lose De Goey, Moore and Elliott as free agents and have the first three or four picks in the draft.
Didnt see this post Spook when I wrote in the Draft Thread post.
Agree.

The more I think of it, the more Collingwood's deal is a good one. It saves them sweating on lousy offers now b/c they all have the picks they need for Daicos. And they can get all their deals done. Some picks will be even better (22) if Daicos isnt bid at Pick 1.

They will package some later ones up slightly (ie, 3 for 2's) so they get Lip + Kruger. They will still need to keep 5 or 6 spots open; not the 8-9 the picks currently suggest.

And 1-2 of those free agents next year will get them either an early 2nd or 3rd R pick at worst.

The impact on the Tigers is not great. I know many on this site say we have the 'most points' for the Bulldogs 17. But Adelaide's 23 and their later picks arent too shabby either.