The I ❤️ Collingwood thread. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The I ❤️ Collingwood thread.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Just knew you'd come out of the woodwork on this one. Nice work editing my post too. Well I guess you have enough practice editing and deleting your own when your rubbish gets called out.
First I’ve heard that the medicos have the authority to stop the game, could’ve sworn that was the umpires job…..

Reactions: 2 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Just knew you'd come out of the woodwork on this one. Nice work editing my post too. Well I guess you have enough practice editing and deleting your own when your rubbish gets called out.

Just giving you the facts. The process is crystal clear, medical team assess player and make signal to bench.

Bench informs emergency umpire if player requires stretcher assistance to leave field and they tell on-field umpires through ear-piece and they stop play.

It's like the advantage rule, the team has total control whether or not you enact it. Don't do it and they don't stop the game.

I think the issue in that instance was that bald fella was the first to Prestia. I don't know him so I may be wrong, but I have the feeling his role is more of a boxing coach/motivator type and he is doubling up as a water boy due to soft cap cuts and I don't think he was equipped to make the assessment.

Doesn't bother me how unpopular it makes me, it's nothing to do with the umpires that the game kept going while Prestia was walked off the ground.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
First I’ve heard that the medicos have the authority to stop the game, could’ve sworn that was the umpires job…..

How would that work? They can't run over to every player who goes down and see if they have cramp, concussion or a broken leg.

The medical team has to let them know and there has to be a strict protocol around stopping the game or it would be used tactically.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
How would that work? They can't run over to every player who goes down and see if they have cramp, concussion or a broken leg.

The medical team has to let them know and there has to be a strict protocol around stopping the game or it would be used tactically.
So the medical team don’t have the authority to stop the game? I’m confused.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
So the umpires have control, yep, thought so.

As for the advantage rule, don't make me laugh, the umpires call it sometimes, don't call it others, let players go back to somewhere vaguely within 50m of the mark, make players kick over the mark, call advantage when a player is being tackled, don't call advantage when a player is running towards goal. There might be a clear rule, but clear adjudication is something we can only dream of.

DS

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
The medical team tells the emergency umpire when the game needs to stop. The emergency umpire relays it to the on-field umpires via the ear pieces.
cheers. So when you wrote “2. Richmond medical team fails to stop play after Prestia is knocked out by Stewart” you were wrong, you were just trying to slag Richmond again. Understand. Carry on.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
cheers. So when you wrote “2. Richmond medical team fails to stop play after Prestia is knocked out by Stewart” you were wrong, you were just trying to slag Richmond again. Understand. Carry on.

You can argue semantics if it makes you feel better about being wrong if you like, but you know exactly what I am saying.

The first trainer to Prestia should have crossed arms to the bench, who would then have told the emergency umpire to stop play. Prestia would have been taken off and we would have resumed with even numbers and the ball on the wing. Simple as that.

Reactions: 1 user

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Just giving you the facts. The process is crystal clear, medical team assess player and make signal to bench.

Bench informs emergency umpire if player requires stretcher assistance to leave field and they tell on-field umpires through ear-piece and they stop play.

It's like the advantage rule, the team has total control whether or not you enact it. Don't do it and they don't stop the game.

I think the issue in that instance was that bald fella was the first to Prestia. I don't know him so I may be wrong, but I have the feeling his role is more of a boxing coach/motivator type and he is doubling up as a water boy due to soft cap cuts and I don't think he was equipped to make the assessment.

Doesn't bother me how unpopular it makes me, it's nothing to do with the umpires that the game kept going while Prestia was walked off the ground.
Clanger clearly signaled to the bench that Dion was done. Maybe the bench didn't send the message to the umps earpiece quick enough to follow the protocol?

In any case, while you may be technically correct, it was negligent by the umps in my book, anyone with eyes could see Dion was out, and the play was happening within a few metres of him for an age, and there are multiple umps FFS. What happens if they lose audio?

You'd reckon the old common sense would come into it with a player knocked out on the field with play within a few metres? Or I suppose they only reserve that for potential disasters like richmond winning a close game.

Reactions: 2 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Clanger clearly signaled to the bench that Dion was done. Maybe the bench didn't send the message to the umps earpiece quick enough to follow the protocol?

In any case, while you may be technically correct, it was negligent by the umps in my book, anyone with eyes could see Dion was out, and the play was happening within a few metres of him for an age, and there are multiple umps FFS. What happens if they lose audio?

You'd reckon the old common sense would come into it with a player knocked out on the field with play within a few metres? Or I suppose they only reserve that for potential disasters like richmond winning a close game.

I think it's a tough ask to expect umpires to control the game and assess a player's medical condition at the same time. It's a pretty simple process to get it done as it is. The universal signal is to stand and make an X with your arms above your head until the bench acknowledge it back, I don't think we did that.

They just made a mistake in the heat of the moment and it cost a goal. It's no big deal, players make mistakes all the time and as a medical person, if you are going to make a mistake that's a great one to make. It's just unfair to blame the umpires for it.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
You can argue semantics if it makes you feel better about being wrong if you like, but you know exactly what I am saying.

The first trainer to Prestia should have crossed arms to the bench, who would then have told the emergency umpire to stop play. Prestia would have been taken off and we would have resumed with even numbers and the ball on the wing. Simple as that.
It’s not semantics at all big fella, you blamed the Richmond medical team for not stopping the game and they don’t have the authority to.

So the umpires don’t have any discretion to stop the play based on what they see in front of them? They can only do it when the emergency umpire tells them to?

Reactions: 1 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
I think it's a tough ask to expect umpires to control the game and assess a player's medical condition at the same time. It's a pretty simple process to get it done as it is. The universal signal is to stand and make an X with your arms above your head until the bench acknowledge it back, I don't think we did that.

They just made a mistake in the heat of the moment and it cost a goal. It's no big deal, players make mistakes all the time and as a medical person, if you are going to make a mistake that's a great one to make. It's just unfair to blame the umpires for it.
I understand you are technically correct, but the play went on so close for so long, you're letting the umps off the hook, common sense 'ol son, its a thing now, it can override being technically correct as we've seen twice this year, get with it.

Serious question, what happens if they lose audio? Play just goes on and on and on? Or the umps might think on their feet and jerry to the situation at some stage?

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I understand you are technically correct, but the play went on so close for so long, you're letting the umps off the hook, common sense 'ol son, its a thing now, it can override being technically correct as we've seen twice this year, get with it.

Serious question, what happens if they lose audio? Play just goes on and on and on? Or the umps might think on their feet and jerry to the situation at some stage?
They'd use commonsense, just like they did when we didn't get a 50 metre penalty when Warner kicked the ball into the crowd.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
They'd use commonsense, just like they did when we didn't get a 50 metre penalty when Warner kicked the ball into the crowd.
I can still hear the conversation between the umps, "I think its a 50m penalty and..." other ump "no no no!...."

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
So the umpires control the game, but can't stop the game?

What a joke, just shows how far standards have fallen when a game can go on with the ball literally being kicked over a clearly injured player.

This level of incompetence in a professional sport is simply not good enough.

What happens when a player is on the ground, clearly injured, and a mis-kick goes straight at him and he gets further injuries as other players go towards the ball? Is that acceptable? Oh, someone didn't make the correct signal the game couldn't be stopped. What a cop out.

DS

Tigertough1974

Tiger Champion
Oct 1, 2013
Geez, lots of shooting the messenger....

Whether you agree or not TBR is just conveying the rules, whether we agree with said rules or the interpretations are irrelevant.

I personally think they should stick hard to protocols as we saw fist hand in the finals what happens when they decide to move away from protocol and process....

Reactions: 3 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008

For weeks now I haven’t seen anything The Big Recalcitrant has written - but I know exactly who and what you’re talking about here.
So he’s back to his old form it seems - rewriting history!
A leopard doesn’t change its spots.
How good is the ignore function!

Reactions: 3 users

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
So the Pies are likely to land McStay from Brisbane, Bobby Hill from GWS, Billy Frampton from Adelaide and Brayden Fiorini from the Suns.

I think it’s outrageous that a club that missed playing in the grand final by 1 point can pillage all these interstate clubs that are lower than them on the ladder of these players, the system is wrong!

wrote no journo ever.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
So the Pies are likely to land McStay from Brisbane, Bobby Hill from GWS, Billy Frampton from Adelaide and Brayden Fiorini from the Suns.

I think it’s outrageous that a club that missed playing in the grand final by 1 point can pillage all these interstate clubs that are lower than them on the ladder of these players, the system is wrong!

wrote no journo ever.
It's unacceptable and inappropriate by a club that has such a big supporter base.