The March to September - 2019 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The March to September - 2019

Mr T.

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 11, 2007
Melbourne
How good is the new Road to the Finals on the RFC email received today!

:gotiges

Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
At the risk of being called a big Short-hating meanie, I found this excellent footage breaking down what West Coast does, in the exact play I referred to here:
Their first goal, started from an intercept in our forward pocket, Punt Rd end, Southern side. I was watching as everyone ran to that side, Short trailing Ryan through the centre by 10 metres. West Coast switched, came back members' side. Ryan marked on the boundary, 10 metres in front of Short, passed to Sheed for a goal. Short simply could not keep up.
https://videos.files.wordpress.com/QTSSycEj/wc-build-v-richmond_dvd.mp4
I was being generous to Short, he finishes closer to 20 metres behind Ryan.

He's not the only one caught out. If you freeze it at 0:30 you can see Waterman drop Broad in transition (I think he had a head start), and then Shuey comes across to put Caddy in two minds whether to guard him on the short lead, which he does, or defend the more attacking, longer kick to Waterman, which he should have.

Makes me think KMac's defensive running ability is not out of the equation yet. We could well face West Coast in a prelim. This how they chopped us up in the first quarter.

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
At the risk of being called a big Short-hating meanie, I found this excellent footage breaking down what West Coast does, in the exact play I referred to here:

https://videos.files.wordpress.com/QTSSycEj/wc-build-v-richmond_dvd.mp4
I was being generous to Short, he finishes closer to 20 metres behind Ryan.

He's not the only one caught out. If you freeze it at 0:30 you can see Waterman drop Broad in transition (I think he had a head start), and then Shuey comes across to put Caddy in two minds whether to guard him on the short lead, which he does, or defend the more attacking, longer kick to Waterman, which he should have.

Makes me think KMac's defensive running ability is not out of the equation yet. We could well face West Coast in a prelim. This how they chopped us up in the first quarter.

This is the premier.
Even the best ever sides have conceded goals during a game.
By pointing the finger at the last person in the play you are breaking down the concepts of ‘‘winning’ and ‘team’. The whole plan is to get our system to work more often than their system.

As soon as you individualise the blame, you erode the team culture. Team culture is a predictor of success.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
This is the premier.
By pointing the finger at the last person in the play you are breaking down the concepts of ‘‘winning’ and ‘team’. The whole plan is to get our system to work more often than their system.

As soon as you individualise the blame, you erode the team culture. Team culture is a predictor of success.
Rubbish. I'm not individualising blame, I'm highlighting weaknesses. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Short is the weakest link. Somehow, some people deem it unfair to point this out.

Ice

Tiger Superstar
Jul 18, 2006
where did you see it TBR?
I have been meaning to make one of the last 5 years just to see how it is

this site gives last 50 games and last 100 games, which gives a bit of an indication but its still not true home and away performance. i tried to do that but in some instances you had to go back a ridiculous number of years eg to find a rich v north game at mcg, or a geel v coll game at kardinia park - you had to go back so far it became irrelevant to current form

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Rubbish. I'm not individualising blame, I'm highlighting weaknesses. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Short is the weakest link. Somehow, some people deem it unfair to point this out.

Some people say, strands in a rope rather than links in a chain

Last edited:

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
Some people say, strands in a rope rather than links in a chain
Goodness me; who’s relying on metaphors?

If you’re criticizing the last link in the chain , you neglect to acknowledge the previous links failed to prevent the advance.

For god’s sake, if you don’t win the centre clearance, jeez we are under pressure in the defensive 50.

Don’t hit the last guy standing as the culprit? He can’t win 100 per cent!

Defenders are tough units and the team relies on the spirit and cohesiveness of the unit.

That’s why in my opinion we won’t see any accommodation or changes out of the ordinary in September.

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005

Agree TF. One in all in.

Also the Short play is the third last piece of play and the kick to Ryan stays inside by about 5 mm. The ball is then marked by an unmarked player inside 50 and then the ball is not killed on the goal line. It was good West Coast play and a tardy start to the game for the tiges.

Sort of makes Spook's post one of the most inane of all times.

Last edited:

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Agree TF. One in all in.

Also the Short play is the third last piece of play and the kick to Ryan stays inside by about 5 mm. The ball is then marked by an unmarked player inside 50 and then the ball is not killed on the goal line. It was good West Coast play and a tardy start to the game for the tiges.

Sort of makes Spook's post one of the most inane of all times.
First of all, I said others were at fault as well, and yes including whoever was on Sheed and the big men on the goal line. But "the kick to Ryan stays inside by about 5 mm" - is there a point there? The kick had a 20-metre margin for error because Short couldn't keep up. So, according to you it is ok to give your opponent a 20-metre margin for error. Inane, huh?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Not sure if this has been posted before. Well worth a watch

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
This is the premier.

N there's the concept of what's called a team game.