THE MEDIA HATRED OF THE TIGERS | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

THE MEDIA HATRED OF THE TIGERS

No left foot

Tiger Rookie
Aug 30, 2020
No no its all a huge conspiracy against us.

When other clubs cop flak its only because the journo confused them with Richmond and stuffed up
Adelaide's woes were all caused by ex-tiger Wombat Stengle and Bombers woes were caused by Tigers plant Jacob Townsend. Covid created by Peggy because Dimma wanted to 'holiday' in Qld. Kebab shops didn't exist until Sept 2020.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
I'm not a believer in any of this stuff having any impact on the field. Absolutely zero to do with anything that happens on the ground.

The notion that during 2019 Rance was aware Hardwick was having an affair and lost a bit of connection with him and ultimately decided he didn't want to play under him though, I can at least see some logic in. I still don't buy it, but I wouldn't fall off my chair if it came up in a book in ten years time.

Was he even having an affair while still with his wife?

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
At the end of the day, AFL football is about on field performance & achievement (success involves many things) & ongoing viability (especially financial). After 35 bleak years, 2017 heralded Richmond’s revival with a platform & standard set for the next generation (for my kids & their kids). This has been a golden era that hopefully still has 2-3 years to run. I won’t see another player as great as Martin in my lifetime I suspect (I’m 55). All I care about is on field success & off field viability. I have every confidence that the club will successfully exist into the future.

As far as the media goes, I’ve long given up caring what they report on our club. Herald-Sun is putrid (cancelled my subscription this year on basis of reporting standard - can’t pay to read crap that Bolt & Panahi write) & footy/sports coverage is dreadful. I’d much rather come here & see what other Tiger fanatics think about anything to do with our club.

The current Hardwick issue is a case in point. First and foremost, it’s a personal matter for Damien, his family & new partner to deal with. Morality questions are really only for those involved and there’s few of us that have never made mistakes in life in any case, especially as far as relationships are concerned. I’ll trust the club to have made the right consideration & decision from a Corporate governance perspective. Media reporting to date has been predictably sensationalist & without thought for the real people involved.

The rise of social media is hardly surprising given the demise of quality mainstream reporting & writing. I couldn’t care less about negative Richmond mainstream coverage. I’ll ride the highs & lows of team performance here & make informed judgments of our club based on what I see onfield & what I see reported financially at each club AGM.

Reactions: 5 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
According to a recent article in the Hun regarding the proposed external review, there is significant opposition within the AFL for an outsider like Gale to take over from McLachlan. Current AFL CFO and broadcasting boss Travis Auld is the preferred internal candidate. If that name sounds familiar he ran the GCS during their darkest days. Hardly a shining example of success compared to what Gale has achieved.
Yep. Read that article, it actually exposes the way Gilligan n his coterie manipulate n schmooze the various club presidents to keep them nicely on the leash n slags Eddeee for being no better than a noisy pumped up little egotistical toady.
Way beyond time that there was a serious clean out of the flogs in suits at AFLHQ. But there's no way they'd want a Benny G running their circus, he's way to good for them. They prefer Toady's.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The aspect of the Hardwick story that really makes me laugh is the crap they clearly pulled out of their rear ends about Hardwick being stood down. Really? A team that has won the last 2 flags is going to get rid of their coach?

FFS if you are going to make something up at least make it somewhere in the vicinity of believable.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Seems like every man and his dog are having a dip at us.
Here is just a snippet from the paper today.
Dimma 1.PNG

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Our season isn't over until Parrot says it is.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Keep winning premierships and people will say the AFL picked the wrong guy.

Maybe Gil feels threatened by Benny’s success?

Last edited:

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
But there's no way they'd want a Benny G running their circus, he's way to good for them. They prefer Toady's.

I am convinced Benny won't go there, he is destined for bigger and better things. Australia Post is one organisation for example.

I personally do think that the next CEO will be an outside appointment, and I include the clubs as well as AFLHQ in that grouping. That is healthy for the organisation. Sure you want someone with some footy exposure, but you want someone coming in with outside ideas as well. Given the length of his time with Richmond, even recognising his success with Richmond, it is a hard sell for Benny.

TBH, people are pretty harsh on Gil when it is all said and done. When he got the top job, the game was going through some tumultuous times, and the AFL board clearly thought that promoting someone from within was a better way to go. His first point of order would probably have been to extricate the AFL from the financial hook they were on for the GWS and GCS expansion. In this regard it is hard to judge how well he has done, although both clubs are still going and the AFL, outwardly, doesn't seem to be going broke.

I do know though that Gil is not well liked in AFLHQ by the rank and file. This is not necessarily an issue, especially if Gil's mandate was to make some uncomfortable decisions. The one thing you would think Benny could bring is the ability to galvanise. So if that is what they want, then Benny is your man.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Seems like every man and his dog are having a dip at us.
Here is just a snippet from the paper today.
View attachment 11429

So on one hand he says it’s all over for the tigers - source some texts ffs.

On the other hand he says the tigers are a great club and more often then not, great clubs find a way to work it out - ie it will have no impact.

Talk about sitting on the fence - just a rubbish bit of dribble from someone who has no idea on what is actually going on inside the club.

nswtiger

tiger army tiger army!! thank you very much
Feb 14, 2005
Nrth NSW
I had a little text exchange this morning with a RFC player I know who wanted to be connected with a cricketer I know for some pre-season thing he is working on.

Took the chance to ask how everything was going.

I knew what the reply was going to say before it appeared, same as always. "It's all just noise mate'.

out of all of this B/S

this is the truth .................its all just noise mate

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Seeing it's a copycat industry, the wives of the other AFL coaches should be bit worried.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
I'm not a believer in any of this stuff having any impact on the field. Absolutely zero to do with anything that happens on the ground.

The notion that during 2019 Rance was aware Hardwick was having an affair and lost a bit of connection with him and ultimately decided he didn't want to play under him though, I can at least see some logic in. I still don't buy it, but I wouldn't fall off my chair if it came up in a book in ten years time.
It's more likely to to do with his own marriage failing, coupled with the faith/football discord.

Reactions: 1 users

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
If Rance left because of Hardwick's infidelity then it's been known about for at least a year and how much influence has it had on the team's performance?
Totally clutching at straws.
That’s absolute bull dust , his own marriage collapsed I think he had his own Cross to bare

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne

Does your same logic tell you he was so distraught by what he saw that it damaged his own relationship and broke his marriage , cmon that sounds like bs to anyone