The Murdoch Media | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact [email protected] // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check that your email is correct and also your junk/spam emails.
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Murdoch Media

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
20,057
1,139
Melbourne
was gonna mention this in the state politics thread, but i thought it deserved its own thread.

the herald sun editorial today criticised packer for apparently backing daniel andrews in the state election.

i find the double standards astounding when they have not been shy in promoting napthine (and abbott last year).

they have not been shy when it comes to their bias, so how can they believe they have the right to criticise others? do they think we're stupid? the hyposcrisy is breathtaking.
 

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
24,253
3,520
Ian4 said:
was gonna mention this in the state politics thread, but i thought it deserved its own thread.

the herald sun editorial today criticised packer for apparently backing daniel andrews in the state election.

i find the double standards astounding when they have not been shy in promoting napthine (and abbott last year).

they have not been shy when it comes to their bias, so how can they believe they have the right to criticise others? do they think we're stupid? the hyposcrisy is breathtaking.
It's bordering on farcical, the HUN being the spokesman of the Liberal party and the Ages anti Liberal slant on many of their articles.

It'd be nice if they just reported the news.
 

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
19,186
1,798
The Murdoch rag here, the Courier Mail, is not bordering on farcical, its an exemplar of farcical. They know their readership is rapidly shrinking, and only old people read it, so they have obviously made the editorial policy decision to throw all taste and integrity out the window and go out with a bad-taste bang.

eg, after the State of Origin loss, the first in 8 odd years of dominance, the front page, in huge headline, WE DONT CARE, with a picture of a girl in a skimpy bikini on the beach. Basically saying 'who cares if we lost? we have a better lifetyle, beaches, we are better people etc etc' I saw it and thought it was taking the *smile*....but it wasn't. Amazingly embarrassing.
 

TigerForce

Richmond has a better list.
Apr 26, 2004
50,065
1,913
tigertim said:
It's bordering on farcical, the HUN being the spokesman of the Liberal party and the Ages anti Liberal slant on many of their articles.

It'd be nice if they just reported the news.

Wasn't it the other way around? I thought the Hun were the lefties.
 

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
20,057
1,139
Melbourne
the age has always been left wing to be fair, but the murdoch media has just turned nasty in recent years. the character assassination of julia gillard being the obvious example (which was disgraceful IMO). union bashing is also high on the agenda.

tigersnake is right that readership or the courier mail is brisbane has declined drastically the australian is strugglng badly as well. not sure how the herald sun is going... i'm sure they are still well and truly number 1 in oz.
 

uhuh uhuh

Ruthless and Relentless
Mar 24, 2006
2,994
0
Melbourne
Newspapers in general are on a hiding to nothing as the printed circulation falls and the revenue from online advertising also drops.

It is odd that print advertising was ever so costly, people just did not realize the cost of advertising in newspapers was possibly not justifying return. With online advertising there is often a direct collation between the add and a site visit or a sale so returns can be more easily judged.

Which is why in 2012 Murdoch split newscorp into two companies:

newspapers, book publishing and education
and
media and entertainment

Like fairfax it meant he could slash the spending on newspapers without effecting his FOX media empire.

Part of the problem for the news network is if you are not a raging right winger at some stage you are going to get disillusioned with the hard line comment that the Murdoch papers pass off as news. I mean seriously if you share those values there are plenty of crazy web forums that you can "hang out" in.... You don't have to pay Newscorp for the privilege.

Similarly The Age is often touted as being left, although I see it as more independent compared to The Guardian with is left wing. As far as news goes though the question is do you pay for The Age or read The Guardian for free?

Murdoch will continue to push his political agenda through his papers until they are no longer viable. He will then concentrate on media and entertainment and his current fight to rid the world of pirating.

The ultimate goal is no free to air TV, No ABC and television where the user pays for everything.
 

Chiang Mai Tiger

Time for some Tiger Payback
Jun 17, 2004
5,756
2
Thailand
My daughter has put Yahoo7 as our homepage and its just full of the most hideous tripe I've seen.

I gather it's a Murdoch site, could someone confirm this for me?
 

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
19,186
1,798
uhuh uhuh said:
The ultimate goal is no free to air TV, No ABC and television where the user pays for everything.

yeah that's Murdoch and the Libs goal. Murdoch can't compete with the ABC on equal terms, and the Libs hate their policies being independently scrutinised, because their policies don't stand up to scrutiny.
 

K3

Tiger Champion
Oct 9, 2006
4,417
114
Chiang Mai Tiger said:
My daughter has put Yahoo7 as our homepage and its just full of the most hideous tripe I've seen.

I gather it's a Murdoch site, could someone confirm this for me?

Google is your friend mate :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahoo!7

And just got back from Chiang Mai. Great place!
 

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
6,293
664
Brisbane
tigersnake said:
Murdoch can't compete with the ABC on equal terms
No private business can. The ABC doesn't have to make money to remain afloat, they have the tax payer ready to absorb losses.
 

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
19,186
1,798
Giardiasis said:
No private business can. The ABC doesn't have to make money to remain afloat, they have the tax payer ready to absorb losses.

the benefits of independent media scrutiny of government and business far outweigh the costs. IMO

Ever seen Murdochs Skye media's analysis? his competitor against the ABC, embarrassing

Also, The Australian has been cross subsidised by Murdoch Corp its whole existence, its never made a zac. If it had to actually compete, it would be nowhere near the far right dunny paper that it is. Its his pet mouthpiece, pure and simple
 

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
6,293
664
Brisbane
tigersnake said:
the benefits of independent media scrutiny of government and business far outweigh the costs. IMO
Government funded media providing scrutiny of government

:rofl :rofl :hihi :hihi :cutelaugh :cutelaugh :spin
 

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
12,384
0
tigersnake said:
the benefits of independent media scrutiny of government and business far outweigh the costs. IMO

Ever seen Murdochs Skye media's analysis? his competitor against the ABC, embarrassing

Also, The Australian has been cross subsidised by Murdoch Corp its whole existence, its never made a zac. If it had to actually compete, it would be nowhere near the far right dunny paper that it is. Its his pet mouthpiece, pure and simple

Well said Snake, The Australian has served it's purpose though, Rupes wouldn't have had his 800 million tax debt written off unless he provided propaganda for the LNP, not to mention the decimation of high speed broadband & the ABC. Just wait till the Abbott cheersquad start getting bills for $3000 after downloading some random Hollywood B grader. Ultimately we are all servants of the oligarchy, lest we forget.
 

antman

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
20,975
6,524
Giardiasis said:
Government funded media providing scrutiny of government

:rofl :rofl :hihi :hihi :cutelaugh :cutelaugh :spin

We realise that this seems an impossibility in your libertarian world, but it has happened frequently, a recent example being the publication of the Australian surveillance of the Indonesian President's mobile phone. The ABC is also one of the last bastions of critique of the new anti-press freedom laws.

That's the trouble with being a dogmatist - you can't reconcile the real world with your theory, so you ignore the real world.
 

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
6,293
664
Brisbane
antman said:
We realise that this seems an impossibility in your libertarian world, but it has happened frequently, a recent example being the publication of the Australian surveillance of the Indonesian President's mobile phone. The ABC is also one of the last bastions of critique of the new anti-press freedom laws.

That's the trouble with being a dogmatist - you can't reconcile the real world with your theory, so you ignore the real world.
So you see no conflict of interest? Or perhaps you choose to "ignore" it?
 

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
12,384
0
Giardiasis said:
So you see no conflict of interest? Or perhaps you choose to "ignore" it?

Having worked for the ABC in a past life I can tell you they are fiercely independent, irrespective of the government of the day.
 

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
19,186
1,798
Giardiasis said:
So you see no conflict of interest? Or perhaps you choose to "ignore" it?

If you can't read the play on the current attempted emasculation of the ABC by the government, the motivation for doing so, and the ABC and community reaction to it, I can't make you. Its all pretty straightforward.
 

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
6,293
664
Brisbane
tigersnake said:
If you can't read the play on the current attempted emasculation of the ABC by the government, the motivation for doing so, and the ABC and community reaction to it, I can't make you. Its all pretty straightforward.
Yeah the ABC better get in line with the government or their funds will be cut.