The Murdoch Media | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Murdoch Media

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
Giardiasis said:
Funny that's how I'd describe the current system. Let's assume that's true. Why don't you then advocate for full government control over the power industry?

Because I don't see every tap as either on or off. There is nuance. You are right there is a lot of what I would call historical/traditional corruption in the system. The worst we've seen, come to light, was the Obeids. But because we have a, roughly, democratic system the people can boot them out. We don't have that power over company boards. Given time to work through it I might come to the conclusion that power should be government controlled. Historical poor management might have been learned from and they might do a much better job than in the past.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
just wanna have a whinge about the herald suns reprehensible reporting on the dumping of the EW link. todays editorial compares this decision to the kirner/cain govt. what an insult to our intelligence that is.

1eyedtiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 2, 2007
These days, the Hun is just a Liberal Party propaganda newsletter. I only read it because we get it delivered (not my choice). A few years ago, I stopped reading it for a few months, didn't watch the news or anything and I was definitely a happier person. I think I'll read the junk mail over breakfast for a while instead.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Ian4 said:
just wanna have a whinge about the herald suns reprehensible reporting on the dumping of the EW link. todays editorial compares this decision to the kirner/cain govt. what an insult to our intelligence that is.

anyone who reads the Hun for politics deserves to have their intelligence insulted.

AMPS

Tiger Rookie
Mar 26, 2015
Brodders17 said:
anyone who reads the Hun for politics deserves to have their intelligence insulted.

And they complement that balanced coverage with blobbo"s musings on football!

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Brodders17 said:

it does provide some entertainment though... I had a laugh yesterday at bolts article. he claimed Abbotts 'recovery' in the polls is due to the awfulness of the VIC and QLD govts. head in the sand stuff.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
what shockingly disgraceful sensationalism by the Murdoch media today. Harley Bennell is on the front page of the 3 Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane Murdoch publications. they are basically throwing a kid under the bus to sell more newspapers. I'm disgusted!!!

a question... does anyone know the mental state of Bennell? do we know if he suffers from depression or any mental illness? I ask because this type of confronting media can tip someone over the edge if they're not in a very good state. I hope for his sake he can handle the scrutiny coming his way.

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
Ian4 said:
what shockingly disgraceful sensationalism by the Murdoch media today. Harley Bennell is on the front page of the 3 Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane Murdoch publications. they are basically throwing a kid under the bus to sell more newspapers. I'm disgusted!!!

I have no interest in the H-S, but on this, if the footage/photo was of him king-hitting someone in Fitzroy St, would we expect that it would be suppressed?

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
lukeanddad said:
I have no interest in the H-S, but on this, if the footage/photo was of him king-hitting someone in Fitzroy St, would we expect that it would be suppressed?

I'll give you some credit here... that's actually a very good question. my answer is that its probably more unlikely to be suppressed than likely, but there is no certainty they would print it because its not as confronting. in other words, a story about a footballer based in QLD is less likely to get front page photos for a king hit compared with him doing lines of speed... it wouldn't sell as many newspapers. this was printed for shock value.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Ian4 said:

a question... does anyone know the mental state of Bennell? do we know if he suffers from depression or any mental illness? I ask because this type of confronting media can tip someone over the edge if they're not in a very good state. I hope for his sake he can handle the scrutiny coming his way.
Is that the criteria for publishing a photo?

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
tigertim said:
Is that the criteria for publishing a photo?

I don't know, but this shouldn't have been printed. its a sign of desperation from a publication that is losing relevance. and it knows it is. what is the probability they would have printed this 5-10 years ago when social media wasn't as influential? tabloid journalism at its worst.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
Ian4 said:
I don't know, but this shouldn't have been printed. its a sign of desperation from a publication that is losing relevance. and it knows it is. what is the probability they would have printed this 5-10 years ago when social media wasn't as influential? tabloid journalism at its worst.
I would have thought the Hun would have printed that photo 5 years ago, 10 years ago, 20 years ago.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
KnightersRevenge said:
What if it was Leigh Matthews in the photo? Or Ron Barrasi?
Yep, even if it were either of them. They would be a bigger story than Bennell.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Rupert's copping a huge whacking globally on The Sun's release of a 1933 film showing a 7 year old Queen Elizabeth and her mum doing a Nazi salute....well before anyone knew what it was to become.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
TigerForce said:
Rupert's copping a huge whacking globally on The Sun's release of a 1933 film showing a 7 year old Queen Elizabeth and her mum doing a Nazi salute....well before anyone knew what it was to become.
Nah plenty of people knew.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Giardiasis said:
Nah plenty of people knew.

Possibly so. It's been known that Edward VIII still called Hitler "a good man" up to the time he died in the early 70s. An interesting comment I've read was why would the Royals keep this footage and not destroy it, especially during or after the war.

Just a bit unfair on Rupert's mob mocking a 7 year old Queen in the making.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
TigerForce said:
Possibly so. It's been known that Edward VIII still called Hitler "a good man" up to the time he died in the early 70s. An interesting comment I've read was why would the Royals keep this footage and not destroy it, especially during or after the war.

Unlike the Australian Liberal Party they know even if you destroy evidence, people still remember.

This article is good on giving the context in pre-WW2 Europe. http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jul/19/nazi-hitler-royal-family

In a nutshell Hitler cultivated the German aristocracy and encouraged them to keep links to the English. There was also the fear of the strengthening Bolsheviks in Russia so some thought it was better to side with Hitler at the time. Most people in the know feared Hitler, not many would have known how far he would go though.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
antman said:
Unlike the Australian Liberal Party they know even if you destroy evidence, people still remember.

This article is good on giving the context in pre-WW2 Europe. http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jul/19/nazi-hitler-royal-family

In a nutshell Hitler cultivated the German aristocracy and encouraged them to keep links to the English. There was also the fear of the strengthening Bolsheviks in Russia so some thought it was better to side with Hitler at the time. Most people in the know feared Hitler, not many would have known how far he would go though.

That's Adolf for you. Born an a-hole, always an a-hole. Still makes you wonder what would've happened if Edward VIII didn't abdicate.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
TigerForce said:
Still makes you wonder what would've happened if Edward VIII didn't abdicate.

Churchill would have mounted a coup and put Ed to death, Oliver Cromwell style....

But yeah, could have been dicey! I have faith that the Limeys would have chosen the right side still though...