The Murdoch Media | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Murdoch Media

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Rupert tweets last night that Turnbull needs to call an election 'before shorten loses his job.' the herald sun editorial calls for an election 'so the people can decide.' they're not even bothering to try to appear impartial anymore.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I was watching Sky new last week when the spill was on. Niki Savva from The Australian was on and she let her guard down a couple of times.

The term "we" came from her mouth on more than one occasion when referring to the Liberal party :eek:

poppa x

Tiger Legend
May 28, 2004
Mt Waverley
Understandable.
She was Peter Costello's advisor.
I heard Grame Richardson use the word "we" when talking about Labot too, On Sky news.

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
Sintiger said:
I was watching Sky new last week when the spill was on. Niki Savva from The Australian was on and she let her guard down a couple of times.

The term "we" came from her mouth on more than one occasion when referring to the Liberal party :eek:

No-one went harder on Abbott than Savva.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
scottyturnerscurse said:
No-one went harder on Abbott than Savva.

A heap went harder. But she did go pretty hard yes, which is an amazing indictment, because she is a Liberal. She's never tried to hide it, nor should she. As Poppa said, lots of commentators are openly on one side of the fence.

Saw Media Watch on ABC last night. Looked at Bolt and Jones lamenting that poor old Tone never had a chance because of the rampant media bias against him, mainly referring to Fairfax. Never mind the rampant media bias in favour of Abbott in the far higher selling Murdoch rags, and on their radio programs. MW then did an analysis of front pages in the Fairfax v Murdoch papers. A few that could be viewed as anti in Fairfax, but really they were just reporting stuff ups, but there a cavalcade of over-the-top anti ALP front pages in Murdoch, eg 'Kick this mob out'.

It was interesting because the extreme bias in favour of the LNP in the biggest selling papers and high rating radio had little impact.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
poppa x said:
Understandable.
She was Peter Costello's advisor.
I heard Grame Richardson use the word "we" when talking about Labot too, On Sky news.
which is sort of my point.

If you are going to commentate then do it, don't cheer lead ! That goes for Richo as well who basically is a big bitter buffoon. ( not the number 12 version btw)

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
tigersnake said:
A heap went harder. But she did go pretty hard yes, which is an amazing indictment, because she is a Liberal. She's never tried to hide it, nor should she. As Poppa said, lots of commentators are openly on one side of the fence.

Saw Media Watch on ABC last night. Looked at Bolt and Jones lamenting that poor old Tone never had a chance because of the rampant media bias against him, mainly referring to Fairfax. Never mind the rampant media bias in favour of Abbott in the far higher selling Murdoch rags, and on their radio programs. MW then did an analysis of front pages in the Fairfax v Murdoch papers. A few that could be viewed as anti in Fairfax, but really they were just reporting stuff ups, but there a cavalcade of over-the-top anti ALP front pages in Murdoch, eg 'Kick this mob out'.

It was interesting because the extreme bias in favour of the LNP in the biggest selling papers and high rating radio had little impact.

On what TS? The leadership ballot or the election? I would argue it had a big impact on the public's ability to judge the competence of Labor and Gillard in particular. Look at the stats for government activity, Gillard slays Tone and she had a minority government. One question is if they had left Kevin07 in charge could he have turned the tide? As a much more beloved public figure the answer may well be yes.

What I hope is that Labor is learning the lesson the hard way. Malcolm will (in rhetoric if not in policy) move the coalition back towards the centre. That "should" force Labor back towards the left a bit.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
KnightersRevenge said:
On what TS? The leadership ballot or the election? I would argue it had a big impact on the public's ability to judge the competence of Labor and Gillard in particular. Look at the stats for government activity, Gillard slays Tone and she had a minority government. One question is if they had left Kevin07 in charge could he have turned the tide? As a much more beloved public figure the answer may well be yes.

What I hope is that Labor is learning the lesson the hard way. Malcolm will (in rhetoric if not in policy) move the coalition back towards the centre. That "should" force Labor back towards the left a bit.

Little impact on Abbotts popularity I meant, Murdoch kept pumping him up and the polls kept sinking. It was similar here in QLD, the Courier Mail, which has gone incredidibly low brow as its relevance diminishes, was so pro-Newman it was actually funny. I know someone who worked there, all the writers were called into the editors office and told, 'go easy, any criticism goes through me'. Apparently Newman had said to the CM, ' we are your biggest advertisers, if you annoy us, we'll review that'. We all know how much good that did him in the end, biggest swing against ever.

Some people might be malleable, but most aren't complete idiots.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
tigersnake said:

it used to (ie. the character assignation of Gillard), but it doesn't anymore. the herald sun went hard at Andrews last year with little impact at the ballot box. social media runs the agenda now... which is why right wingers are criticising it. it was only a couple of weeks ago that Abbott was lamenting about how the social media channels are full of crap, etc, etc.

poppa x

Tiger Legend
May 28, 2004
Mt Waverley
it was only a couple of weeks ago that Abbott was lamenting about how the social media channels are full of crap, etc, etc.

If I have to take this new Social Media thing more seriously, does this mean I have to take Pessa seriously?

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
The fallout is pretty funny. Bolt is so pissed off that his man got done, he's lashing out at other arms of News Ltd, the Aus namely, for supporting Turnbull, which he thinks is a plot to get at him, Bolt. Amazing. It all comes back to him. I always knew he was a bit loony but I overestimated him a bit.

Jones has also dropped the lip big time after being exposed as not having that much power after all.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Ian4 said:
Bolt's reaction is gold.

It is. I dunno why I'm surprised, but it seems he thinks he could single-handedly keep an incompetent, extremist reactionary PM in power. (The people I know who admit to voting for Abbott say they had no idea he'd be that extreme, and would never have voted for him if they did).

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
im not surprised Bolt and the Oz editor dont get along. The Oz, despite being very right leaning is a serious newspaper, full of news and opinion generally from relevant people with intellect. the opposite of the Hun and Bolt.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
tigersnake said:
It is. I dunno why I'm surprised, but it seems he thinks he could single-handedly keep an incompetent, extremist reactionary PM in power. (The people I know who admit to voting for Abbott say they had no idea he'd be that extreme, and would never have voted for him if they did).
The other reason Bolt in peed off is that Abbott would have had another go at changing the laws under which he was prosecuted if he won the next election and got a more sympathetic senate

That case still burns the Boltman up

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Sintiger said:
The other reason Bolt in peed off is that Abbott would have had another go at changing the laws under which he was prosecuted if he won the next election and got a more sympathetic senate

That case still burns the Boltman up

yeah he does. For someone who rants and raves against people playing the victim, he loves playing the victim.

Reactions: 1 user

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
so... the herald sun has decided not to print a paid ad by the electrical trades union in today paper about the sacked CUB workers. the same herald sun that promotes themselves as a champion of free speech. they're not even trying to hide their bias anymore.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Kevin Rudd's petition if anyone wants to sign it. The website seems to be working much better now. 221,000 have now signed in 4 days.

Be aware that you also need to click on the verification link that is emailed to you for your signature to be counted.