The Myth that is and was GWS | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Myth that is and was GWS

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
It's a given that we don't watch GWS games and we overrate their current players. But what about the players who've moved on?

What do we think of these players?
  • FB: Caleb Marchbank, Aidan Corr, Lachie Plowman.
  • HB: Zac Williams, Sam Frost, Nathan Wilson.
  • C: Tom Scully, Adam Treloar, Dylan Shiel.
  • HF: Will Hoskin-Elliott, Jeremy Cameron, Devon Smith.
  • FF: Jonathon Patton, Josh Bruce, Jacob Townsend.
  • FO: Rory Lobb, Taylor Adams, Jack Steele.
Have a look at these players as we perceived them at GWS and how they appear now.

Mark Thompson, before he outed himself for a love of 'frozen water', was ebullient about this list of players. Competitive echoing in the AFL controlled media.

How many of them do you actually want at Punt Road? Haven't we changed our tune on this?
LOL
Dear Dyer'ere , I think you stress too much and take to heart what media commentators say
the first law of the footy media (and probably all media) "look shinny toy"
the second law of the footy media - "look shinny toy"
the third law of the footy media - "look shinny toy"
they are driven to print anything that will get a click

they have the memory of a goldfish and no accountabilty and few morales

Funny, Gold Coast is on the nose with the commentators at the moment
Having watched the Crows GC game then the Blues GC games
the commentators were very pro Blues and the week before very pro Crows
while I was thinking hey I'd much rather be coaching/following Gold Coast
Apart from the threat of being eaten by Stewie Dew
I reckon with a little more poise with ball in hand Gold Coast will jump to mid ladder quality
they seem to be playing good structures/patterns, they can put good speed on the ball , they have been in the games and only for a few fumbles and a few poor kicks
could have quite easily won both games

believe what you see and little of what you hear :)

Reactions: 1 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
everything was about GWS, everything.

for me our most satisfying annihilation of a club, partly because of that Giant hype
Arguably the biggest bandwagon episode i have ever seen. It's funny those ppl now claim what a boring game it was yet they are drooling over the end to end basketball game we have now...

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Cam Rayner is the media narrative myth that makes me laugh.

"No. 1 draft pick", "built for finals football". Even bloody Richo was dribbling that!

Rayner hardly touches it, and more often than not sprays his shot at goal. Flashes in the play a couple of times per game. Meh.

Sorry that the kid has a bad injury. He'll be back. Might become a good player but a long way from it for mine.

And then there's Fatty Petracca! Boy are the media flogs on that bandwagon!
Thats the same as the Eric Hipwood hype we hear from Brayshaw & co. every time he enters a comm box for a Lions game. We really dodged a bullet when Brisbane matched our bid for him. There are far too many way over hyped players from those in the media.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
The mollycoddling parenting model doesn't work. Everyone knows it. You spoil your kids and don't let them learn the hard lessons, they turn out useless.
100%. I was a supervisor in a previous job where i had the boss's son who has had the silver spoon upbringing working with us, trying to get a days work out of him was a challenge at 1 point & they took his side when i brought up the issues that were going on... Needless to say the place was a circus.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
Arguably the biggest bandwagon episode i have ever seen. It's funny those ppl now claim what a boring game it was yet they are drooling over the end to end basketball game we have now...
a mate was banging on about that the other day (the same mate who turned up to mine to watch the 2019 GF wearing orange despite being a bombers supporter) and i said, "what is boring about watching a team at the height of their powers dismantling another team..?"
Cliffhangers are fine, but demolitions are equally fascinating for totally different reasons.

Reactions: 1 user

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
The mollycoddling parenting model doesn't work. Everyone knows it. You spoil your kids and don't let them learn the hard lessons, they turn out useless.

and quite possibly, living in Byron Bay.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
GWS. More on this egregious fraud.

My contention has been that AFL fans overrate GWS players because of media reports and Supercoach points. Nad because fans don't actually watch GWS games.

All those champions who played at GWS. How did they look after they left the club? When we finally watched them play?

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Poor old SOS. He was beguiled by his own intellect so much that he blithely put his own horrendous blunders on a loop. For Carlton.

Let us begin with Lachie Plowman. Fine athlete. Fine specimen. #3 in his draft. Now a senior at Carlton, he can't defend, can't halve and can't attack. Watch him play if you dare.

But maybe we all knew he was no good back then. lol Soston.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Remember that bloke who left the AFL to sell "frozen water" for a living? He was very big on the GWS performance at the 2012 draft.

(I keep forgetting the name of that frozen water guy. But I'll never forget his hyperbole in the media about the leprous distillment that is the GWS koolaid.)

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
History showed Tom Boyd to be an awesome star of the 2012 draft. Not that he was revered in his GWS time. But eh, Richmond fans idolise Tom Lynch for his preemiership feats.

Imagine how Bulldog fans feel about the child who dominated 60 minutes of a grand final. And then pretty much never played again.

Let's look at a few more of their mythic AFL basketcase reinforcement advertorial reputations.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
I might be on my own here but Lachie Whitfield is your classic SuperCoach hero.

Reactions: 1 user

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Goes alright but massively overrated IMO, SA. He is, by their standards, a champion becuase he's still there.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Would seem Whitfield has a girlfriend now that doesn’t write emails to ASADA ? Good on him.

• Haha

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
GWS. More on this egregious fraud.

My contention has been that AFL fans overrate GWS players because of media reports and Supercoach points. Nad because fans don't actually watch GWS games.

All those champions who played at GWS. How did they look after they left the club? When we finally watched them play?
Dyer'ere , I get where you're coming from, I'm Canberra based and have followed them closely from day dot
Free to air tele here you get Swans and GWS games so for AFL fans that don't have Foxtel they do watch a bit both clubs games
but most of us have a club we follow through thick and thin and haven't changed
when I go to a Manuka game there is plenty of orange scattered thru the crowd , nothing like the established clubs
I've been heavilly involved with local junior footy (3 boys) and although mine didn't go far enough any parents who's boys do have involvement with the Giants , they cant speak highly enough of them
I think most of the football world will rate them above the Gold Coast in the race for best recent start up on a lot of fronts

I always state , they are well coached , both game tactics for the 1sts and development

after their 1st 4 years on the bottom they went
2016 finished 4th made the prelim - lost to the eventual premiers
2017 ditto
2018 finish 7th , win their first final and bow out
2019 finish 6th and make their way through to the GF and lose to us
2020 finish 10th

thats a very respectable 5 years , so must have a good and deep playing roster during that period

but just because they have so many high draft picks on their list doesn't guarentee every player is a champion !

look at our 5 picks in the top 20 in 2004 (Tambling , Polo , Meyer, Pattinson)

if looking to trade in a GWS the same due diligence needs to be applied

all AFL clubs live in something of a bubble
but the GWS one is different and with them making prelim finals in years 5 and 6
did seem to give them a sense of entitlement
I didn't rate the NEAFL compared to the VFL back in the earlier years
so for players outside their top 22 while the good coaching roster may have taught them the technical side well
they didn't get the match day hardening that the VFL would have given them

for us , its been good that Collingwood paid overs for Trelor (remember he was almost ours !!) and Carlton paid overs for all of their ex GWS players

long may it continue :)

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I said five years ago GWS had no culture and would never win a flag and so far I'm right :cool:

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
On the reputations of individual players at GWS, the R21 game against Geelong at Sleepy Hollow gave us food for thought. It was a salient thought experiment played out in reality. (An experiment made all the more interesting when Dangerflop was removed during.)

The absence of Keeffe, Kennedy, Lloyd, Reid, Finlayson was, on the day, clearly an advantage, and probably always will be. And I think the same of Davis. With Taylor anchoring and lots of light aerial support around the Giants defence looks nimble and dynamic.

No Josh Kelly. No Jacob Hopper. No Michael Green's grandson. Was also clearly an advantage on the day but perhaps will not always be. It did highlight the very poor structure of the GWS midfield with them all in.

On the day, the day without all the slows in the middle, a few different dynamics emerge. A day on which another slow Davis was absent.

Voila, GWS looked lighter and more lively. The usual ringarosy *smile* was mainly defensive and was punctuated with incisive play through he middle. And althought the Giants were slaughtered at I50 they were much more incisive.

And the shining light was Tim Taranto. He kept them in at at clearance and applied heat. He was attacking and dangerous. Two goals was just the punishment the Geelongs deserved.

He has not been in great form since the shoulder and has often looked a shadow of his former self. But he cut loose on the weekend. Partnered later in the game with the heretofore hilariously useless Daniel, the latter lifted and sliced the opposition apart.

Unlike the many times he's partnered with ringarosy experts like JWK and Michael Green's grandson. And dumb ones like Hopper. Taranto had brisk incisive players around him.

Joel Selwood had ten score involvements on Bruhn. Brisk, lively Bruhn, who kicked one and was in four scores himself but crucially was able to keep his place in a swarming vibrant formation.

Ward was given an easier role and was busy. A running player.

I should give some credit to the Zac Sproule ambush. He was outstanding early and was able to get off his lumbering opponents to provide an extra at a dozen contests.

In the end the undermanned GWS bench had to see the improvements to their structure. Surely they will persevere with a lighter shape.

And the GWS myth grew. How good will they be when they get their SuperCoach champions back?

The truth is they were better off without them on the day. And IMO would be forever if they embraced the need to change their gameplan - aggression and swarm. And accordingly fielded a lighter, more flexible and attacking squad.

Tim Taranto emerged as a very bright light. Shoulder problems hopefully behind him. And another player with a limited reputation Sam Taylor had a breakout game, belting Tomahawk.