The New Punt Rd | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The New Punt Rd

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
mixed emotions. I've been pretty vocal about not using taxpayers money for the project. My idea was to rebuild the JDS and put a social club underneath. It looks like were getting a mix of the original plan and my idea. the MRC is pretty crap. lets hope its significantly improved on by this project.

Reactions: 1 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
If they are smart they should make some commemorative items from the wood in the stands. Number them and sell them for 20-50 bucks each. Imagine having a piece that you could hang on the wall or a seat made from the stand.

I reckon they would sell like hot cakes
thought similar WW. or integrate something of the old stand in the new build, even if it was just a small piece of it

Reactions: 2 users

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
Unfortunately the PRO is part of the Yarra Park precinct & is "Owned" by the State, so that was never an option. I think the club pays a relatively small leasing fee for the rights to use it.
ok

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
thought similar WW. or integrate something of the old stand in the new build, even if it was just a small piece of it
Peggy said "elements of the stand will be retained and incorporated in the new facility," whatever that means.

Seems to be much less about improving the performance of the RFC senior team and more about the subsidiary teams and cultural & community facilities.

They're going to do what they're going to do, but it would be interesting to know the views of past players and the Dyer family.

The recent wave of success will influence many to perceive that the current administration has earned the right to make such decisions. I'd love to be able to glimpse 30 years ahead and see how things turned out.

Big Tiger

Tiger Rookie
Jul 15, 2013
I am very happy for the development, but outraged by the name and wokeness of the project. They raised money to clear debt and assist previous buildings under Jack Dyer's name, remember the Jack Dyer Foundation. Then when the club's in a better financial position they dump his name, not for another RFC legend like Dusty, but some indigenous activist that I bet 999/1,000 members have never heard of until today.

They spruik inclusion at every sentence, how about including the vast majority of members that aren't indigenous or Muslim and just want to barrack for a football club and not be dragged into PC stuff at every turn. I want the club to be great corporate citizens, but I'm sick of having stuff rammed down my throat by my FOOTBALL club. If I want all this community and minority stuff I'll join a political party not a football club.

Kneeling at games, black tee shirts EVERY week, instagrams on Australia Day not wishing us happy Australia Day but asking us to think of those who this isn't a happy day for, the list goes on.

If you read the Herald Sun comments, I don't think I'm one out here and I think the club needs to be careful not to bite the hand that feeds it. Good times at football clubs come and go and they need to be careful taking a large number of members for granted to push an agenda.

Respect the club's history, it is why we were able to become a powerhouse again.

Reactions: 6 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Peggy said "elements of the stand will be retained and incorporated in the new facility," whatever that means.

Seems to be much less about improving the performance of the RFC senior team and more about the subsidiary teams and cultural & community facilities.

They're going to do what they're going to do, but it would be interesting to know the views of past players and the Dyer family.

The recent wave of success will influence many to perceive that the current administration has earned the right to make such decisions. I'd love to be able to glimpse 30 years ahead and see how things turned out.
Agree.
But like you and others who have voiced that ‘it would be good to know how the past players of this great club & the Dyer family feel about it’.

It’s ‘good all the other things’ but I would still like to know anyway.

In my eyes, thus far, JD is the greatest Tiger and something needs to be retained to honour him and his family.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
I am disappointed, bordering outrage, that it won't be called the Dustin Martin Centre.

Expect a 25m bronze statue of Dimma to be erected on the nature strip in the middle of punt road.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
I am disappointed, bordering outrage, that it won't be called the Dustin Martin Centre.

Expect a 25m bronze statue of Dimma to be erected on the nature strip in the middle of punt road.
In time I think they will come to their senses.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I'm sure there will be something named after Jack Dyer, the admin aren't silly.

I figure part of the idea of facilities for teams other than the AFL Team would be to make the existing facilities just for the AFL team, at the moment I would think they are running all sorts of things in the Swinburne Centre. The new facilities will also be available to the AFL team so I really can't see an issue there.

DS

Reactions: 3 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
In my eyes, thus far, JD is the greatest Tiger and something needs to be retained to honour him and his family.
They will say he has the statue and the best player award named after him. It has only been the 'Jack Dyer Stand' for a bit over 20 years; originally it was the Chessell Stand and for most of its life, the Richmond Stand.

Think the issue is more about the loss of the stand itself. Plenty older than me who will have stronger feelings than I do about it.

Reactions: 4 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
They will say he has the statue and the best player award named after him. It has only been the 'Jack Dyer Stand' for a bit over 20 years; originally it was the Chessell Stand and for most of its life, the Richmond Stand.

Think the issue is more about the loss of the stand itself. Plenty older than me who will have stronger feelings than I do about it.
Thanks Lee.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
As someone else mentioned after the development is finished name the ground the "The Jack Dyer Oval".

I never saw Jack play, but he was my hero. The stories of him breaking more collarbones than he'd had hot dinners, listening to him him murder the English language with his Dyerisms.

Watching him on League Teams and World of Sport was an absolute must and were great times.

And if it wasn't for Jack there might not be a Richmond Football Club, I'll never forget his speech at the SOS rally. Didn't he stick it up those "in their ivory towers".

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
So are they pulling down everything and starting again?

They would have to if they want a bigger oval and more room on the punt road wing

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
So we are stumping up $30 Mill?
All up cost is $60 Mill.

Fed $15 Mill, State $15 Mill.
I know they had large cash reserves (pre covid) with all the Merch sales etc. from 2 Premierships.
I wonder how the cash reserves are looking now with the 3rd flag and the new covid normal and letting staff go etc.

Can anyone break down where the last $30 Mill is coming from?
I assume they are clever enough not to go into debt with loans etc (even if lending rates are low.)

SCAJMW

Tiger Cub
Dec 15, 2008
mixed emotions. I've been pretty vocal about not using taxpayers money for the project. My idea was to rebuild the JDS and put a social club underneath. It looks like were getting a mix of the original plan and my idea. the MRC is pretty crap. lets hope its significantly improved on by this project.
Maybe redesign the windows in the social club to let some light in and we can look out onto the ground would be a good start!