The New Punt Rd | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The New Punt Rd

tommygun

1st of many
Aug 24, 2011
Caroline Springs
So the redevelopment of punt rd has came about because Mr Gale leaked his next 10 year plan. ‘We going to need a bigger trophy cabinet’

Reactions: 1 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
mixed emotions. I've been pretty vocal about not using taxpayers money for the project. My idea was to rebuild the JDS and put a social club underneath. It looks like were getting a mix of the original plan and my idea. the MRC is pretty crap. lets hope its significantly improved on by this project.
Only way to get it now is to build in community and other uses..... For every 20 bucks spent on AFL men facility, 20, 30 5o other uses

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Jack Dyer’s son wants his father’s name on new Punt Road building that will replace historic grandstand
Glenn McFarlane
Herald Sun
November 18, 2020
(paywalled)

The son of Richmond legend Jack Dyer wants his father’s name incorporated on the new building that will replace the famous old grandstand named in his honour.

The Tigers and the Victorian State Government announced plans on Tuesday for a $60m Punt Road Oval redevelopment.

As part of the plans, the Jack Dyer Stand will be demolished and replaced by a state-of-the-art structure with new public seating and amenities, women’s changerooms, a community centre, and a function centre, with the redeveloped ground set to cater for 8000 fans for AFLW games and second-tier matches.

The proposed building, which will include the Korin Gamadji Institute, the Bachar Houli Foundation and the club’s women’s football program, will be named the William Cooper Centre after the Indigenous activist who died in 1941.

The redevelopment will also see the club boast an expanded MCG-size training oval.

Tigers chief executive Brendon Gale rang Jack Dyer Jr. on Tuesday to assure him his father’s statue would form a key part of the Punt Road master plan.

“Brendon rang me to let me know what was going on,” said Jack Dyer Jr, who himself played three games with the club in 1960.

“He explained to me what they were going to do and why they were doing it.

“The main thing I was worried about was what was going to happen to the (Dyer) statue outside the ground. I said to him ‘What are you doing to do with that?’ and he said ‘We will be looking after it’.

“I can understand why they are doing (the redevelopment). We want to see the club keep moving forward.”

Daniel Rioli poses next to the Jack Dyer statue at Punt Road Oval in 2017. Picture: Getty Images
Daniel Rioli poses next to the Jack Dyer statue at Punt Road Oval in 2017. Picture: Getty Images

But the 79-year-old would love to see his father’s name on the outside of the new facility, even if the centre was named after Cooper – for the sake of Dyer’s contribution and for his family who are still passionate Tigers’ fans.

“Brendon did say that Dad’s name would still be there somewhere, but he didn’t say they would name the stand after him,” Dyer Jr said.

“I’m not angry, as I’m in favour of keeping the club strong and successful.

“But I’d still love to see Dad’s name retained there somewhere.

“He gave so much to the club, not just as a player across 19 years (seasons), but for many years after that.”

It is understood the Tigers are looking at ways to appropriately honour Dyer, who carried arguably the most famous name in Richmond’s celebrated history.

Known as ‘Captain Blood’, Jack Dyer Sr was one of the toughest and best players of all-time, playing 312 games from 1931-49, and coaching the club for 12 seasons.

He went on to become one of the game’s most loved media personalities, forging a unique partnership alongside the late Lou Richards.

Dyer died in 2003, aged 89.

The Punt Rd grandstand, which was built in 1914, originally carried another name, but was re-named after Dyer in 1998 at one of his last official functions.

It remains one of the few remaining stands from the VFL’s early years.

While it is not heritage listed, it has heritage overlay, which means planning approval is required before demolition.

Richmond legend Jack Dyer with his son Jack Dyer Jr.
Richmond legend Jack Dyer with his son Jack Dyer Jr.

Dyer Jr said his father would have been delighted by the three flags the club has won across the past four seasons.

“He would have loved to have seen it happen,” he said.

“If he and Lou (Richards) were still around, I’d love to listen to what both of them would be saying.”

Dyer Jr watches the Tigers from afar now, given his blood pressure rises whenever he watches them play.

“I don’t watch them play in the flesh now,” he said.

“My wife laughs at me, but my blood pressure goes up that high.

“I couldn’t watch on Grand Final night … it wasn’t until my wife yelled out that we were 30 points in front, that I thought ‘That’s OK, I can watch now’.”

He said the Dyer family were still passionate Tiger fans, and were extremely proud of his father’s achievements.

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
So we are stumping up $30 Mill?
All up cost is $60 Mill.

Fed $15 Mill, State $15 Mill.
I know they had large cash reserves (pre covid) with all the Merch sales etc. from 2 Premierships.
I wonder how the cash reserves are looking now with the 3rd flag and the new covid normal and letting staff go etc.

Can anyone break down where the last $30 Mill is coming from?
I assume they are clever enough not to go into debt with loans etc (even if lending rates are low.)
Poker machines.

BTW the Bulldogs just got out of them.

OldTiger67

Tiger Rookie
Jun 6, 2016
I am very happy for the development, but outraged by the name and wokeness of the project. They raised money to clear debt and assist previous buildings under Jack Dyer's name, remember the Jack Dyer Foundation. Then when the club's in a better financial position they dump his name, not for another RFC legend like Dusty, but some indigenous activist that I bet 999/1,000 members have never heard of until today.

They spruik inclusion at every sentence, how about including the vast majority of members that aren't indigenous or Muslim and just want to barrack for a football club and not be dragged into PC stuff at every turn. I want the club to be great corporate citizens, but I'm sick of having stuff rammed down my throat by my FOOTBALL club. If I want all this community and minority stuff I'll join a political party not a football club.

Kneeling at games, black tee shirts EVERY week, instagrams on Australia Day not wishing us happy Australia Day but asking us to think of those who this isn't a happy day for, the list goes on.

If you read the Herald Sun comments, I don't think I'm one out here and I think the club needs to be careful not to bite the hand that feeds it. Good times at football clubs come and go and they need to be careful taking a large number of members for granted to push an agenda.

Respect the club's history, it is why we were able to become a powerhouse again.

Thanks Big Tiger - I fully support your views. We are slowly losing the essence of PRO, and for what purpose? Could the support of the various social programs be acheived by using office space elsewhere, and keep PRO for football. Note that the well respected museum have vanished - why? If the woke or corporate dollar is king then why not sell out to Apple or have a nice McDonalds outlet at PRO ?

I would hope that the business case for this $60m expenditure be emailed to each member.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
We are slowly losing the essence of PRO, and for what purpose?
Clearly we are going all-in on women's footy (the men's facilities must already be at least adequate given recent results). The ground being expanded to MCG size is a "nice to have" but again, based on recent results, far from essential.

This what I meant earlier by questioning what things will look like in 30 years. Women's footy is no sure thing despite being pushed very hard.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Clearly we are going all-in on women's footy (the men's facilities must already be at least adequate given recent results). The ground being expanded to MCG size is a "nice to have" but again, based on recent results, far from essential.

This what I meant earlier by questioning what things will look like in 30 years. Women's footy is no sure thing despite being pushed very hard.
Yeah the whole, training ground must be the size of the MCG, is a nonsense really.

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
I humbly suggest that the Punt Road Oval be renamed the Jack Dyer Oval.

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Hard to rename the oval as it has been known as Punt Rd for so long.

The whole centre is already named, but the redevelopment has 2 stands - so, Jack Dyer Stand and Dus . . . Stand?

Yes we have to respect the history, but we also have to look to the future. The future is not only men's footy, it is also women's footy, community etc. This is the way the world is now, it wasn't this way 50 years ago. It is a balancing act but I like that they are building in community facilities and facilities for women's footy. I reckon part of the is that the men's team will have the Swinburne Centre without having to share it which will mean it will be less crowded and I figure they will have access to the new facilities too.

We all love the MCG but look at it - none of the stands I used to sit in when I was a kid exist any more. The SCG has kept it's heritage better, but, it does not have the 100,000 capacity either. Where do we draw the line with heritage? The reversible stand with cricket played inside the MCG and football outside? There is no right answer, but there are infinite opinions.

DS

Reactions: 5 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Where do we draw the line with heritage?
As with a lot of things it comes down to money. In a perfect world I think the club would prefer to preserve the stand. Someone posted this photo on another forum - Petco Park, home of the San Diego Padres baseball team. At first I thought it was 'shopped! Very clever and no doubt very expensive. In a perfect world...

1920px-Western_Metal_Supply_Co..jpg

The club could never generate the money required for the redevelopment by itself and has hitched its wagon to various current fads that governments are keen to spend money on, and the Dyer Stand is the pound of flesh exacted. So when the question put is effectively "What price heritage?", it becomes pretty much a no-brainer for some, presumably including the board. It's an opportunity too good to pass up. As someone who tends to favour the practical over the symbolic, I find it hard to say definitively that the club is doing the wrong thing. It's just... sad.

Butch67

Tiger Rookie
Mar 31, 2014
I think the club maybe hesitant to rename the oval with the potential for a sponsor to have naming rights , that would cause more outrage changing from Jack Dyer oval to say nib oval.

We must do something to ensure his name lives on at the ground somehow, perhaps its a chance to ensure all our club legends get honoured (ensuring the ability to honour future legends too).

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
As with a lot of things it comes down to money. In a perfect world I think the club would prefer to preserve the stand. Someone posted this photo on another forum - Petco Park, home of the San Diego Padres baseball team. At first I thought it was 'shopped! Very clever and no doubt very expensive. In a perfect world...

1920px-Western_Metal_Supply_Co..jpg

The club could never generate the money required for the redevelopment by itself and has hitched its wagon to various current fads that governments are keen to spend money on, and the Dyer Stand is the pound of flesh exacted. So when the question put is effectively "What price heritage?", it becomes pretty much a no-brainer for some, presumably including the board. It's an opportunity too good to pass up. As someone who tends to favour the practical over the symbolic, I find it hard to say definitively that the club is doing the wrong thing. It's just... sad.
Sad?

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
I think the club maybe hesitant to rename the oval with the potential for a sponsor to have naming rights , that would cause more outrage changing from Jack Dyer oval to say nib oval.

We must do something to ensure his name lives on at the ground somehow, perhaps its a chance to ensure all our club legends get honoured (ensuring the ability to honour future legends too).
I would hate us to go down the Coll and Carl and Gee route where the ground name changes every three years.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
There seems to be 2 "stands" in the proposal. 1 of these could be called The Jack Dyer Stand, the other could be The Legends Stand, which would honour the many legends that our club has now & will have in the future.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Maybe redesign the windows in the social club to let some light in and we can look out onto the ground would be a good start!

No, what we need is a balcony for VFL/AFLW games, proper pub grub, Richmond memorabilia, food and drink discounts for members, a venue to watch interstate games, and to be open during non-RFC events at the MCG so the club can make create a new revenue stream.

Reactions: 2 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Yeah. Sad that the stand has to go.

The Royal Historical Society of Victoria mentioned it in their annual report:
In September 2018, the Richmond Football Club proposed to demolish the historic Jack Dyer Stand at Punt Road Oval, built in 1914 and one of the last of the great Melbourne Aussie rules stands still remaining. The solution would be to nominate the stand for registration on the VHR, but, in the face of other challenges, we have failed to take up this important issue. The National Trust began work on a nomination in 2019, and we will pursue the issue co-operatively with them during 2020.
By accident or design, the above action obviously didn't get to the stage it needed to.

Last edited: