The new test for the Tigers in 2021 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The new test for the Tigers in 2021

OldTiger1967

Tiger Rookie
Jun 3, 2017
Our game plan needs all players playing well. Get a couple below par and the game plan and team structure falls apart. Then all players look ordinary because they're out of position and not running. All the players that performed poorly this evening against Geelong are top players when we play the Richmond way. We weren't allowed to play our game tonight.

The real test in 2021 for the Tigers now is how strong and deep is our culture to bring us out of this form slump........

Reactions: 1 user

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Our game plan needs all players playing well. Get a couple below par and the game plan and team structure falls apart. Then all players look ordinary because they're out of position and not running. All the players that performed poorly this evening against Geelong are top players when we play the Richmond way. We weren't allowed to play our game tonight.

The real test in 2021 for the Tigers now is how strong and deep is our culture to bring us out of this form slump........

I'm definitely still a believer, OT67.
But you are also right about achieving the threepeat will be a "real test". No doubt about it.
But I reckon Dimma, the leaders and the playing group will find a way to rise again.
Not much stays the same in footy and twelve months is an enormous time when it comes to teams rising and falling.
The Tigers aren't done yet. Far from it, I believe.
The culture and essence of the Richmond Man and the Yellow and Black is strong, deep and profound.
If nothing else, the Tigers won't lie down without a fight. Of that I am sure.
I remain confident.

Reactions: 4 users

BrummieTiger

Tiger Cub
Jun 28, 2019
We play a style that's meant to win finals ie minimum possession, high pressure. We back teams that play a high possession game will struggle in the heat of a final, and that we'll be there when it happens. Unfortunately in the H & A season those same teams will sometimes get hold of us and blow us away, but our H & A goals are to just do enough to get us to that part of the season where out style will begin to take it's toll on the opposition.

Also, it's been a long time since we've lost twice to a team in one season, so right now it would appear the Doggies are our biggest threat.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004

What after 1loss we have lost our culture?

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Still a believer. Cotchin, Lambert and Prestia all missing from the midfield. Grimes from down back.

Will need to get them all back though.

Whether to play a second ruckman still a conundrum.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Still a believer. Cotchin, Lambert and Prestia all missing from the midfield. Grimes from down back.

Will need to get them all back though.

Whether to play a second ruckman still a conundrum.
Unfortunately most of the midfield guys are out for another few weeks at least.

Really missing Soldo.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
When the midfield is so depleted Soldo is a huge loss.

Baker and Bolton are playing some of their best footy but we are struggling in other areas.

I remain an Aarts believer. He has done some serious strength work in the off season and we saw it tonight with his ability to break tackles and push through contests. Probably his best game of 2021.

Pickett is a cat, maybe literally? His ability to be both devastating when he makes body contact but lithe and agile when in the thick of it is amazing. Like Sheds in some ways when it all comes together this will look like genius, but when we are under the pump it sometimes looks foolish.

How was Lynch's pre-season? He has looked like he is slogging through wet cement in the back half of games. I know he is a large unit and will tire late in games but he looks really spent sometimes.

Loved Nank giving it to Selwood. "Wanna try the chicken wing in one of my tackles? Come get some."

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Not concerned, we have been through this before, we have too many out/down on form but it's the best time of yr for it to happen.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
It’s very hard to be at the top of your game for 4 years - I guess thats why so many pundits prefer the cats team over the 5 years where they won 3 flags to our team that have won 3 in 4 years - they were utterly dominant and left at least one flag on the table.

Our success is built on dominance at the back end of the season and the finals, which (calling LTRTR for evidence) I assume is unmatched.

I like the way we learn during the pre bye period which includes painful losses and then come home like a steam train. It’s a pretty special approach.

Can we do it again - I hope so but what I do know, you can’t win a flag in May, and we certainly haven’t lost one yet.

Reactions: 1 users

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
It’s very hard to be at the top of your game for 4 years - I guess thats why so many pundits prefer the cats team over the 5 years where they won 3 flags to our team that have won 3 in 4 years - they were utterly dominant and left at least one flag on the table.

Our success is built on dominance at the back end of the season and the finals, which (calling LTRTR for evidence) I assume is unmatched.

I like the way we learn during the pre bye period which includes painful losses and then come home like a steam train. It’s a pretty special approach.

Can we do it again - I hope so but what I do know, you can’t win a flag in May, and we certainly haven’t lost one yet.
True but we better learn quick. Aside from the injuries to key players, three issues that have to be addressed:
- Proper second ruck;
- More speed, especially on the wings;
- Poor/inconsistent form of the forwards & the unpressured rebound out of our forward line.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
True but we better learn quick. Aside from the injuries to key players, three issues that have to be addressed:
- Proper second ruck;
- More speed, especially on the wings;
- Poor/inconsistent form of the forwards & the unpressured rebound out of our forward line.
Yes and the answer is
- CCJ
- CCJ allows Pickett to spend more time on the wing
- Stack or MRJ could give us the hurt or X factor in our forward line - not sure Dimma will drop George or Dan the man.

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The unpressured rebound from our forward line I would say is the biggest worry mentioned above, something we have avoided for the last 4 years and something we need to get to work on.

DS