The Norm Smith medal for players who didn't get a vote | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Norm Smith medal for players who didn't get a vote

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
What do we call this important medal?

I propose The Trent Cotchin medal.

The TC.

I think the judges of the Norm Smith got it right. Dusty, Shorty and Sheds were our most influential 3 players. Broady is stiff to get excluded form the TC.

I had the house to myself and watched the replay again last night.

and for me, the winner of the TC is clear.

3 - $hai Bolton.

4 quarters of astonishing football, balancing party tricks with disco moves and hard tackling.

what a player. he is without doubt, Dustys heir apparent. the fact that dusty even has a living heir brings tears to my eyes. though so far from meek its not funny, $hai will inherent the MCG earth. we have an unprecedented Dynastical Succession Plan. This has never been done before. Even Ming made it up as she was going along.

and this is where it gets incredibly tough. I had 8 players on the page for the 2 and 1 votes.

but I settled on

2. Toby Nankervis.

the warrior game we've come to expect. The game of a 100kg midfielder, 10kg of which is heart and 10kg in testicles. leaving 80kg of lumpish north Tasmanian brawn, wielded more like a black and yellow gidgee waddy than an assagai.

and it will come as little surprise to most;

1. Marlion Pickett.

he was everywhere all game. closing down space, tackling, smothering

and with 2.29 to go in the 3rd, Marlion sees the opportunity to put Dangerfield in hospital and seizes it. He closes the space, runs his body so his hip bone collects Dangerfield. He could have got him flush in the head, but he doesn't, because he is scrupulously fair. Dangerfield stays down for a while, only his physique saving him from being the 3rd player stretchered off. Marlion was millimetres away from completing a second fairy tale in consecutive grand finals, in game 20, from fulfilling all of our wildest dreams.

The Trent Cotchin Medal for arguably the 4th best player afield in a Richmond premiership.

3 - $hai Bolton
2 - Toby nankervis
1 - marlion Pickett

watch the replay and cast your votes. I think you will agree it starts easy and then becomes extremely difficult.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
Great stuff. Here's mine:
3. Balta
2. Bolton
1. Hardwick - for a playing system that hasn't been cracked after 4 years.

Would love to see your retrospective counts for 2019/2017.

Reactions: 2 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Thought Bolon got a vote. If not it was a farce. Thought he was second best on the ground.

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Thought Bolon got a vote. If not it was a farce. Thought he was second best on the ground.

Leigh Matthews briefly thought about mistaking Cam Guthrie for Joe Bolon,

but settled on Broad, then forgot

for me, Shai is a standout for the TC, but I won't argue with how anyone sees it.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
3 Nankervis
2 Prestia
1 Bolton
(ineligible: Martin Short Edwards Broad)

3 Edwards
2 Vlastuin
1 Castagna
(ineligible: Martin Houli Pickett Riewoldt Prestia)

3 Lambert
2 Riewoldt
1 Cotchin
(ineligible: Martin Houli Rance Edwards Prestia Graham)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
3 Nankervis
2 Prestia
1 Bolton
(ineligible: Martin Short Edwards Broad)

3 Edwards
2 Vlastuin
1 Castagna
(ineligible: Martin Houli Pickett Riewoldt Prestia)

3 Lambert
2 Riewoldt
1 Cotchin
(ineligible: Martin Houli Rance Edwards Prestia Graham)
Oh yeah - when I think back - I can see plays by all of those players which were memorable and significant. Great gets. Great lists.

Reactions: 1 user

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
What do we call this important medal?

I propose The Trent Cotchin medal.

The TC.

I think the judges of the Norm Smith got it right. Dusty, Shorty and Sheds were our most influential 3 players. Broady is stiff to get excluded form the TC.

I had the house to myself and watched the replay again last night.

and for me, the winner of the TC is clear.

3 - $hai Bolton.

4 quarters of astonishing football, balancing party tricks with disco moves and hard tackling.

what a player. he is without doubt, Dustys heir apparent. the fact that dusty even has a living heir brings tears to my eyes. though so far from meek its not funny, $hai will inherent the MCG earth. we have an unprecedented Dynastical Succession Plan. This has never been done before. Even Ming made it up as she was going along.

and this is where it gets incredibly tough. I had 8 players on the page for the 2 and 1 votes.

but I settled on

2. Toby Nankervis.

the warrior game we've come to expect. The game of a 100kg midfielder, 10kg of which is heart and 10kg in testicles. leaving 80kg of lumpish north Tasmanian brawn, wielded more like a black and yellow gidgee waddy than an assagai.

and it will come as little surprise to most;

1. Marlion Pickett.

and with 2.29 to go in the 3rd, Marlion sees the opportunity to put Dangerfield in hospital and seizes it. He closes the space, runs his body so his hip bone collects Dangerfield. He could have got him flush in the head, but he doesn't, because he is scrupulously fair. Dangerfield stays down for a while, only his physique saving him from being the 3rd player stretchered off. Marlion was millimetres away from completing a second fairy tale in consecutive grand finals, in game 20, from fulfilling all of our wildest dreams.

The Trent Cotchin Medal for arguably the 4th best player afield in a Richmond premiership.

3 - $hai Bolton
2 - Toby nankervis
1 - marlion Pickett

watch the replay and cast your votes. I think you will agree it starts easy and then becomes extremely difficult.
Wholeheartedly agree with your 3 and 2 votes.
The 1. vote very difficult to split.
Worthy for consideration.
Baker.
Broad.
Graham.
McKintosh.
Pickett.
Prestia.

2 goals to Prestia probably seals it for me.

Reactions: 3 users

Mac

Tiger Champion
Sep 16, 2003
Great thread. Tough call.

3 Bolton
To quote Dion Prestia (talking about shaking things up at half time and going with one less in the midfield) ‘We threw Shai Bolton in there and I thought he really turned the game in that third quarter”

2 McKintosh
To paraphrase Hardwick, (after mixing things up at half time). Kamdyn did a terrific role for us, he hadn’t played that half back position for a period of time he nailed it.
(Kicked a ripping goal too)

1 Balta
Harsh not to give Nank votes here. Just me doing a ‘Matthews”. But Noah gave us some real bite in a position he probably wasn’t 100% prepared for but just did his bit when needed. A great foil for Nank and I don’t think the cats contended with his vim and vigour that well. Maybe this is more a 1 vote to the coaching panel who were fantastic.

• Love

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
3 Captain Courageous for his tackle on Ablett
2 Pickett for his bump on Diverfield
1 Baker for trying to take out Selwood

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
I watched it last night again too.

My favourite snap shot of the game. Danger was hurt. Danger gave up the chase after this.

1. Marlion Pickett.

Would have gone with Nank as TC he was irrepressible and hard, Bolton and Shedda swapped, then a tied call for all other players in the yellow and black.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
3. Balta
2. Bolton
1. Nank

Scratch that. Reverse it.

Or don't.

Or maybe put Bolton on top.

And add in Cotchin and Grimes. And Baker. And Broad.

I love our team.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
3. Balta
2. Bolton
1. Nank

Scratch that. Reverse it.

Or don't.

Or maybe put Bolton on top.

And add in Cotchin and Grimes. And Baker. And Broad.

I love our team.

The most exhilarating thing burger,

Is your TC vote getters average age is 23.

This simply doesnt happen in premierships, where multiple kids are more than cameos.

Jack graham and george and danny were great too.

I honestly believe the spread of incredible talent across the age profile

Will take us to a 3 peat and beyond.

A 5 peat isnt crazy talk.

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
It is so very hard to chose between the players for this 'award' as everyone of them played their part in a great win so I have to be honest my top 3 lists keeps changing minute by minute

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
3 Bolton
2 Baker
1 Balta

Apologies to Prestia, Pickett and Macintosh. And Nank. And Vlastiin who valiantly attempted to dislocate clangers elbow with his granite head.

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
I've relooked at some extended highlights of the second half and 'by jingos', Prestia was good in an oh so subtle way, probably taking cues from 2014 Shed.

First two centre clearances of the third he is vital, one he scraps for our first clearance and then he is the bloke that closes down Selwood which allows Nank to catch up to Guthrie.

That Hawkins snap, Prestia comes in from his right to narrow the angle and tommy hits it thin. Of course he kicks the first in the last. I'd say he is our best mid at covering the ground and turning defence into attack. Perfect inside/outside mid that never stops running.

Ripper game.

Reactions: 4 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I've relooked at some extended highlights of the second half and 'by jingos', Prestia was good in an oh so subtle way, probably taking cues from 2014 Shed.

First two centre clearances of the third he is vital, one he scraps for our first clearance and then he is the bloke that closes down Selwood which allows Nank to catch up to Guthrie.

That Hawkins snap, Prestia comes in from his right to narrow the angle and tommy hits it thin. Of course he kicks the first in the last. I'd say he is our best mid at covering the ground and turning defence into attack. Perfect inside/outside mid that never stops running.

Ripper game.

and kicked the first goal of the game! But yeah, great second half.