The Richmond 2017 AFL Grand Final thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Richmond 2017 AFL Grand Final thread

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I somehow stumbled upon this article, a good read.

Yep, def a good read.
Was 26 n spoon fed premiership glory before that miserable game against Carlscum. Daughter was born a cuppla years after n was promptly poached away from the clutches of the Carlscum missus.
Got plenty of frowns, disappointment n suggestions of " parental child abuse " over making her a Tigers fan / member n taking her along to games until 2017.
All past sins are obviously forgiven in recent years n she's been more than happy to sing Tigerland to her mum every time we whip their arses.

Reactions: 4 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Yep, def a good read.
Was 26 n spoon fed premiership glory before that miserable game against Carlscum. Daughter was born a cuppla years after n was promptly poached away from the clutches of the Carlscum missus.
Got plenty of frowns, disappointment n suggestions of " parental child abuse " over making her a Tigers fan / member n taking her along to games until 2017.
All past sins are obviously forgiven in recent years n she's been more than happy to sing Tigerland to her mum every time we whip their arses.
Have noticed TG logged on quite often. A great thing you did brainwashing her at an early age, but of course it was your duty to do that:)

Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
Have noticed TG logged on quite often. A great thing you did brainwashing her at an early age, but of course it was your duty to do that:)
Bad enough I married a Carlscum supporter, no way known she was gunna get the grubby mitts on the kid :)) .

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Many hard years for all of us having to explain to our children that they have to persist with their birthright and support Richmond. My daughter was 22 when we won in 2017 and endured so many years of disappointment. Maybe she values the success more as I remember Richmond as powerful premiership predators when I was a kid.

As for my partner, not much interested in footy and a South Melbourne supporter (her father knew Bob Skilton Senior), so, little competition there as supporting Sydney really is not an option.

DS

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
Bad enough I married a Carlscum supporter, no way known she was gunna get the grubby mitts on the kid :)) .
My partner is a Collingscum supporter, and her whole enormously large Catholic family are too. My side of the family are Tiges, but much less in number.

When she gave birth to our first child, we discussed who the child would support. I told her 'if our child is a Pies supporter, then you can take them to the footy because I'll be *smile* stuffed if I'm going to Collingwood games 10 times a year.'
Needless to say, I won not only with our first born but also our second as well :cupgold.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 9 users

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
My partner is a Collingscum supporter, and her whole enormously large Catholic family are too. My side of the family are Tiges, but much less in number.

When she gave birth to our first child, we discussed who the child would support. I told her 'if our child is a Pies supporter, then you can take them to the footy because I'll be *smile* stuffed if I'm going to Collingwood games 10 times a year.'
Needless to say, I won not only with our first born but also our second as well :cupgold.
Got plenty of outlaws that are Colonwood supporters n luv em to bits. They are just so much fun to hang *smile* on year after year after year. Well done for standing your ground n threatening the missus with her having to take the kids to Colonwood games.

Reactions: 2 users

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
I am the same mate. Married a Carlton fan, initial years were horrible but made up for it since. Both my kids signed up Richmond members too.

how is your daughter TigersGoddess anyway who used to post here?

Reactions: 1 user

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Yep, def a good read.
you've done well TM, my daughter bailed on us after the terrible droughts and drubbings of the noughties... mind you she's just not into much sport these days, one of these wanky creative types. At least she's not an "influencer" though.

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
I am the same mate. Married a Carlton fan, initial years were horrible but made up for it since. Both my kids signed up Richmond members too.

how is your daughter TigersGoddess anyway who used to post here?
She's well, thanks. Hanging out for some live footy hopefully this year ( someone's got to try n keep the old fart in line ). Pretty sure she still has a looksee in here every now and again, just doesn't bother posting as I probably do more than enough for both of us.

• Love

Mopsy

"I can feel Tigermania flowing through my veins"
Jan 9, 2005
Brisbane
Reactions: 2 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Worth a read, for those that haven't read it.

How and why did it happen? Two words, really. Dustin Martin. The best player in the competition – that assertion is now incontestable – changed the mood and the momentum with a crucial goal just before half-time, at which point he was already looking like the Norm Smith medallist regardless of whether he finished on the winning side or not.

Thereafter, he was the inspiration and the executioner, and in the end there was simply no other candidate for the medal, the five judges unanimously agreeing.

If Carlton Hall-of-Famer Wayne Johnston had claims as the best finals player of the past 50 years, ditto the legendary Leigh Matthews and perhaps Hawk Luke Hodge, Martin has gone past. His body of work in three Grand Finals has become it’s own legend – and who is to say it is complete yet? He is not yet 30.

• Love

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I've said it before but there aren't many days that go by that I'm not grateful we got to see a couple of flags pre the Covid years.
Was thinking the same thing just 2 days ago. When the SHocking virus was still in gestation.