The Road to the Big Dance | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Road to the Big Dance

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
a 2nd ruck kicking 2 goals per game would be great

do you think Chol would do that playing next to Jack and Lynch?

anyway, unless you reckon we should have offered him 4 years on the $$$the Suns have given him this is all a bit pointless.
Chol back to his worst today. 6 disposal 2 hit outs, 0 tackles. Once again I just saw him walking around when he should have been chasing. One time around the defensive 50 he just gave up the chase and opponent had a shot at goal. He's one of lazy or has no tank or both. He has some talent but so many of his actions are anti team. My pet dislike with Chol is his sagging off behind a contest for the hopeful cheap goal, when, as a tall, he should be smashing the packs. I don't regret him leaving.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Port is a must win or after next week we are potentially 2 games behind 7th and 3 games behind 5th.

Reactions: 1 user

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Chol back to his worst today. 6 disposal 2 hit outs, 0 tackles. Once again I just saw him walking around when he should have been chasing. One time around the defensive 50 he just gave up the chase and opponent had a shot at goal. He's one of lazy or has no tank or both. He has some talent but so many of his actions are anti team. My pet dislike with Chol is his sagging off behind a contest for the hopeful cheap goal, when, as a tall, he should be smashing the packs. I don't regret him leaving.
Yep, was watching him too, definitely lazy in that he wants to get an easy kick. Lurks around the edge of packs hoping to one out the back.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Only saw bits of the game but that included a pathetic boundary throw in where he provided zero contest and Goldstein was easily able to take the ball in two hands and give it off to a team mate who goaled. Goldstein looked like a 20 yo and Chol a plodding no hoper (with fancy hair color). No loss to us for sure.

Last edited:

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
The Dees are just bumping along the middle atm. PRE bye we expect a certain amount of slogging football. And a the odd upset.

Most interesting to me to see how Petracca comes back after the bye.

He’s lame. He’s been lame all year. It doesn’t seem to be getting better. He’s still a fraction slower and his kicking is off.

This is hurting them.

In terms of youth coming through I think it came through last year. Jackson, Petty, Sparrow, Pickett, Bowey have all had opportunity but plateaued.

They’ve looked very gettable all year.

After the bye we will get conclusive information. If they don’t level up they are in trouble.

Jack Viney is their #3 mid. He’s not much good.

Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The Dees are just bumping along the middle atm. PRE bye we expect a certain amount of slogging football. And a the odd upset.

He’s lame. He’s been lame all year. It doesn’t seem to be getting better. He’s still a fraction slower and his kicking is off.

This is hurting them.

In terms of youth coming through I think it came through last year. Jackson, Petty, Sparrow, Pickett, Bowey have all had opportunity but plateaued.

After the bye we will get conclusive information. If they don’t level up they are in trouble.

They had a too easy early draw for premiers, let's see if they can level up now it is starting to get to the serious end of the season. Still think they are the team to beat but we'll see what happens from here.

DS

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
I was as annoyed as anyone about Friday night (the rules, the umps, our ill discipline, etc.) BUT I really think we are on a familiar upward curve. If you look at all at our two recent premiership years we were almost flawless post bye. We are in a good position regards injuries and are still well in touch with the top 4. The next three games are a perfect test - all teams around about our position on the ladder. I think we need to get a few things sorted in order to be improving right up the the last game of the season - in no particular order.

1. Ill discipline - we have to sort this out. Cheap frees and 50's have to be called out even if it means a holiday in the Magoos as an example. The main offenders should be on notice by now (This is an area that Dimma must act. He has done it before with Caddy!) The desperation of Bakers smothers and the bravery of Cotchin was in stark contrast to the cheap frees conceded. The Nank was bad but a little understandable, The Grimes one was just ridiculous and gave them the lead. Bolton just contines to give away 'arrogant' 50 metre penalties. I firmly believe that cheap goal he gave them in the 2nd quarter kept them in it - otherwise the game was over at half time! He is a wonderful player but his footy IQ is questionable at best!
2. 2nd Ruck - I think we can all agree that the Soldo 'up forward' experiment was a flop. Soldo is a ruckman and needs to get a game as such. I think at his best he gets a game as 2nd Ruck but I think he still has a way to go here. Coming off a reco and so long out of the game, a slow buildup was inevitable and expected. Balta has to be our second ruck. He is servicable in this area and can pinch hit in other areas. Probably dont need him down back if we are fit and healthy. He can be the ultimate utility and used offensively in many ways. This move allows us to play an extra mid, prefer to see us try to get games into the likes of Dow & Sonsie.
3. Forward Line - Lynch is vital if we are going to bomb it in but we have to address the smalls up there. The likes of Riolo, Castagna just don't get the ball enough. George had 2 posessions on Friday night and Rioli only had one big impact (goal late in 2nd quarter). We just have to get more out of these guys.

I think we have improved a lot out of the middle since early in the season. The move of Short has been a master stroke - his kicking into the forwardline and his long range threat on goal is a real weapon.

Interested in everyones thoughts on this; I know there are a lot on here that have written us off for 2022 - I'm definitely not one of them!
Agree with your view on our ill discipline.
Not so much on your thoughts concerning Soldo. In assessing our rucks, look at how we fare against the best and against the best Nank smply doesn't have the reach. Soldo our best option and unless Mate Colina comes from nowhere, Soldo should lead our rucks with Nank supporting off the bench.

Tarrant played well against Essendon but otherwise has been poor. Balta to replace him (permanently) when fit.
George is a real problem. IMO Baker is by far the more reliable and should replace him with Stacky (and Ralphsmith) taking over at half back.

Short has been a winner as a mid and demonstrates again that we don't have to persevere with junior mids who go in without the necessary skill set, and then out having not been able to produce consistently, (Aarts and Ross).
The Sonsie to be played as a mid/forward off the bench.

We can't afford to lose again but we also need to ensure a win that can provide a setting from which we can again attempt a top 4 finish.
To produce both results the match committee needs to take on a little experimentation.

My best 23 V Port would be,
B Broad Balta Grimes
HB Stack Vlastuin Rioli D,
C McIntosh Cotchin Pickett
HF Baker Graham Bolton
F Martin Gibcus Riewoldt
R Soldo Short Prestia
I/C Nankervis, Ralphsmith, Rioli M Jr and Sonsie.
Sub Edwards.
TBC Lambert and Lynch.

In Balta, Pickett, Sonsie* and Stack.
Out Aarts, Castagna, Edwards, Ross and Tarrant.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne

This is hurting them.

Swans were harder at the ball and relentless with their pressure. A few short steps from the Dees: Langdon, Bowey, Gawn off the top of my head.

I thought Sydney was the better team all night. The quarter-time scoreboard was a lie, but also showed how quickly Melbourne can score.

Petracca does look lame. Petty is important and he's busted up. May crucial for them.

TigerWinner

Tiger Rookie
Apr 21, 2022
Melbourne are hunted every week this year....when teams smell blood they go even harder. they need to freshen up or will be out of the top 4 come the pointy end.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
I think we need Balta to be the ultimate swingman - just keep the Oppo guessing. The biggest issue with him, I believe, is his footy smarts - I think he doesn't quite understand where to position himself etc. (gets lost a lot). Would be great to start preparing him for that ruck-rover role as soon as possible. I think Tarrant, like Shedda and even Dusty just need a little patience - all haven't lost ability - just out of form (for various reasons).
Disagree with most of this. Tarrant has played one good game for us, Essendon.
He may have been a very good player at North, but he has done nothing at Richmond to suggest he is still capable of holding down the position.
He is now relatively slow and his ball handelingnreflects his growing and understandable fall in confidence.
Luckily we still have Balta and the selection of Gibcus at last years draft has, despite his inexperience, also provided a better option.

(Unfortunately if Tarrant is selected against fully available sides like a Brisbane, Carlton or a Geelong their tall forwards will kill us).

Ditto Shedds. He has been an all time great and arguably our best ever indigenous player, but he is now a shadow of his former self.
Hopefully with the careful use of the Sub role he will be nursed through to 300. He deserves that level of respect and it won’t surprise if he is offered a non playing role at the club next year. Hope so anyway.

(Cotch and Jack have also slowed considerably and have the endeavour but no longer the capacity to compete as they did even last year. Again it won’t surprise if this season is also their last).

The loss against Sydney … we should have shared the win, as well as Geelong and Collingwood wins this weekend, has put the pressure on, in terms of a top 4 finish, (which has to be our aim),
We can’t afford losses now and while there is no need for panic the idea of persusting with (old man) Tarrant, and sending Balta forward, is no longer a sensible option.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2007
Second quarters have been Richmond’s strength in the first half of the 2022 season.

The Tigers have won nine of their 11 second terms, outscoring opponents by a combined total of 103 points in those games – 49.23 (317) to 30.34 (214).

It’s a different story, however, when you look at Richmond’s last quarters this year, with five wins from the 11 games.

The opposition has outscored the Tigers by 41 points overall in final terms – 41.29 (275) to 34.30 (234).

Third quarters have been good, with eight wins, while the score-line in opening terms is seven wins and four losses.

Richmond’s overall best quarter so far this season is the 7.4 (46) it scored in the final term against West Coast 4.1 (25), Round 7, Optus Stadium.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
We know this AT, with our eyes. But its good that the numbers reaffirm this.
It goes further, we are ranked #1 in Q2, plus ranked 6 and 5 in Q1 and Q3. Very solid. But a miserable 14th in Q4.
Our percentage in Q4 is 85%. That includes our best quarter of 46 points vs WC!

We are horrible in Q4, and not much better in Q3. And other clubs know it. Thats a big rock to carry for the rest of the season, that even 30 points in front we are catchable.

On the positive is that we are #2nd in the league for quarters won.
Now that can include minor wins but it demonstrates that we are capable of contending, if we can run out games!

This is an interesting stat breakdown

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Good snapshot.

Supports Leysy's observation that we need more runners/midfielders to share the load so we are still at full throttle in the last.

i.e. Soldo out for a runner.

Reactions: 2 users
Feb 25, 2007
We know this AT, with our eyes. But its good that the numbers reaffirm this.
It goes further, we are ranked #1 in Q2, plus ranked 6 and 5 in Q1 and Q3. Very solid. But a miserable 14th in Q4.
Our percentage in Q4 is 85%. That includes our best quarter of 46 points vs WC!

We are horrible in Q4, and not much better in Q3. And other clubs know it. Thats a big rock to carry for the rest of the season, that even 30 points in front we are catchable.

On the positive is that we are #2nd in the league for quarters won.
Now that can include minor wins but it demonstrates that we are capable of contending, if we can run out games!

This is an interesting stat breakdown

It's one of the reasons why I believe we should be on min 8 wins (32 points) and knocking on top 4. We have played pretty well but dropped some games that we shouldn't have.

RD 1 V Carlton and RD 11 V Swans, we literally threw these games away by undisciplined acts.
V Saints just too much talent out (Jack, Prestia, Dusty, Vlustuin, Lambert) and lost Grimes late in the 3rd but still were 25 up late in the 3rd.

Feb 25, 2007
Good snapshot.

Supports Leysy's observation that we need more runners/midfielders to share the load so we are still at full throttle in the last.

i.e. Soldo out for a runner.

My sentiments also. Ralphsmith is a good start and must stay in. Another 1-2 will address this issue.
In saying that, two of these games blues and swans were our own doing, Giving blues 4 goals by 50-meter penalties and 5 goals to Sydney won't get you the 4 points no matter how many runners we have. Gifting free goals is just dumb football. Surely, this has been a focus over the bye addressing these undisciplined acts.

Saints, we just had too much talent out but couldn't arrest the slide when the saints came hard at us and the crows the umps played their part 33 frees to 13.

Dimma loves his two rucks I'm soo so on it, not fussed either way. Balta I want to keep at full-back can take any key forward has the strength and has offensive weapons to hurt his opponents.

Who would you have rotate with Nank? I think the days of a Shaun Grigg type ruck like Pickett are gone.

The problem with Soldo is he's a good tap ruckman but that's about it, need more from him around the ground.

Feb 25, 2007
RICHMOND

Record:
6 wins, 5 losses
Ladder position: 9th

What’s working: After an inconsistent start, the Tigers posted four straight wins before falling short at the SCG in round 11. Daniel Rioli has embraced his role at half-back, Jayden Short is having a career year, Shai Bolton has had moments of brilliance, Maurice Rioli has provided energy as a small forward, while co-captain Toby Nankervis has been a physical presence. They rank second for points per game (98.1), third for goals and scores per inside-50, and fifth for scores from turnover, the latter a good sign of their pressure-led, premiership

DNA. The Tigers rank No.1 for scoring from kick-ins, highlighting why they are so dangerous when able to will the ball forward.

What’s not: Coach Damien Hardwick has bemoaned his team’s ill-discipline, conceding too many free kicks. Key forward Tom Lynch and Jack Riewoldt have been wayward in front of goal. Injuries have hurt, while Dustin Martin’s absence for seven rounds – to grieve his father’s death, with the blessing of the club – left the Tigers without their lone genuine superstar. Martin’s return corresponded with an on-field lift. Former Kangaroo Robbie Tarrant is still finding his way in a new system. They need to tighten defensively through the midfield, having conceded a score from 45.7 per cent of opposition forward-50 entries.

Surprise packet: The Tigers took Josh Gibcus with the ninth pick in last year’s national draft for a reason – but the key defender has exceeded expectations. The former Greater Western Victoria Rebel has played nine games, and been handed tough assignments, none more so than Lance Franklin.

The run home: The Tigers have been hard to decipher for only one of their six wins – against the Western Bulldogs – has been against a top-eight side. They are a genuine finals contender but will need to make the most of their remaining fixture – they face only four of the current top-eight teams – to secure the double chance.

Jon Pierik

Mid-season report: Blues’ testing run home, Saints’ surprise, where Tigers can improve

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Martin our "lone genuine superstar". These ants can't help themselves. Pierik is barely even an ant.

• Love

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
Martin our "lone genuine superstar". These ants can't help themselves. Pierik is barely even an ant.
How many 'Genuine superstars' are there?

What does it even mean?

If we're talking players in Dusty's category, there's two.

Dusty. Franklin.

I don't see any team with more than one of them.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
i have this sinking feeling that we're gonna see a repeat of 2021. I hope I'm wrong, but I find the second half fadeouts alarming. The next 3 weeks will decide our fate.

FYI, I really hate the phrase “big dance.”