The run home - Can we make top 4 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The run home - Can we make top 4

DjJazzyPete

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 8, 2014
Nata , Botswana
Interesting season so far .. yeah a bit of a generational change year ...our stars are starting to fade ( but have been amazing ). And our kids are just coming in showing a bit but have a little way to go . Not happy with Geelong doing well but in 2 or 3 years time they will crash and burn not investing in youth . Hope they don't win it this year .
Yeah if we finish 5 or 6th were still in with a chance . Also not sure if we know what our top 22 is ATM ?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Feb 25, 2007
I can't see us losing another game. Maybe to the Giants if they're still in the hunt, cos we know they'll get five goals from frees.

Top 4, whack, whack, whack - premiership.

I have us winning 8 or 9. If we win 8 games from the 9 remaining I reckon we'll finish 5th, if we win all 9 think we'll sneak into the top 4 but need at least the lions dropping a few games which they may as they play cats this week and then us in RD 18.

Of course, anything can happen but let's face it 7 of the 9 are from outside the 8 and we should be beating these teams and GWS reckon we will beat them too.

Lions at the G RD 18 can't wait, bring them on. Only that cats I see as our biggest challenge, but having our best players on the park is paramount, especially heading towards finals.

Reactions: 1 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I have us winning 8 or 9. If we win 8 games from the 9 remaining I reckon we'll finish 5th, if we win all 9 think we'll sneak into the top 4 but need at least the lions dropping a few games which they may as they play cats this week and then us in RD 18.

Of course, anything can happen but let's face it 7 of the 9 are from outside the 8 and we should be beating these teams and GWS reckon we will beat them too.

Lions at the G RD 18 can't wait, bring them on. Only that cats I see as our biggest challenge, but having our best players on the park is paramount, especially heading towards finals.
I reckon if we win 8 we'll make top 4 if we can boost our percentage enough. No one bargains for other teams to drop games they should win when they do the ladder predictor, but they will. Brisbane for instance have lost their last nine at the G - including by 5 goals to Hawthorn last year, but everyone will ink them in to win that one.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
I can't see us losing another game. Maybe to the Giants if they're still in the hunt, cos we know they'll get five goals from frees.

Top 4, whack, whack, whack - premiership.
My only difference is that it might be whack, whack, whack, whack from 5th or 6th.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
The top 4 have all been up for quiet a while now & i don't believe they can all hold thier form till the end which is what they'll have to do to win it.

saigon tiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 4, 2010
It will be tooth and nail to hold a top 8 spot. Too many players not playing their best, undisciplined footy and lacking composure at certain stages. We lead runs of 4 or 5 goals against at times and leave so many scoring opportunities on the table. I'm not 100 % convinced it's gunna turn!

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Just posted this in the ladder predictor thread:

Percentage and upsets results are going to be crucial, this is going to be a tight race and we are going to be well in it no matter where we finish.
I agree there will be upsets etc, we just need to make sure we are not on the wrong end of any of them.

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
The top 4 have all been up for quiet a while now & i don't believe they can all hold thier form till the end which is what they'll have to do to win it.
of the 4 I think Geelong are the most dangerous and its probably more a gut feel more than anything insightful ,

Just think even though they have been our bunnies , compared to the rest they are a but more resilient (than we like to give them credit for )

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
of the 4 I think Geelong are the most dangerous and its probably more a gut feel more than anything insightful ,

Just think even though they have been our bunnies , compared to the rest they are a but more resilient (than we like to give them credit for )

More than dangerous I reckon.

Come September I reckon they would smack Melbourne off the ground and can't see Footscray's defence holding them to a low enough score to win.

They added players to an already very good team.

Geelong are surely favourites at the moment and so they should be.

We need to improve beyond what we could produce for the last couple of years to win this, but that is a given every year. Let's see but there aren't many teams I would think can beat Geelong at full strength and in form this year.

DS

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005

Come September I reckon they would smack Melbourne off the ground and can't see Footscray's defence holding them to a low enough score to win.

We need to improve beyond what we could produce for the last couple of years to win this, but that is a given every year. Let's see but there aren't many teams I would think can beat Geelong at full strength and in form this year.

DS
Yep they are pretty solid at full strength. Lots of big bodies.

Wet day would make a difference as not necessarily that quick and would reduce aerial dominance. Old age / soft tissue injuries probably their biggest threat (and us).

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
How to beat Geelong: match them in the contest, get it to the outside and torch their old, slow arses. Have good match-ups for their dangerous forward line and stretch their defence with multiple marking targets to make them accountable and ensure they can't sag off.

Reactions: 2 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011

DS
As we saw tonight, sides who have been up all yr won't keep thier form all year.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Underestimate Geelong at your peril. They will make it to a PF and could go all the way.

Yes, they are a bit suspect, who isn't? They do drop a game here and there, which is fatal in finals of course. But Geelong haven't been up all year, they are also trying to time their run (good idea with their age profile), but every club knows that Geelong will be a serious hurdle come the pointy end.

DS

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Underestimate Geelong at your peril. They will make it to a PF and could go all the way.

Yes, they are a bit suspect, who isn't? They do drop a game here and there, which is fatal in finals of course. But Geelong haven't been up all year, they are also trying to time their run (good idea with their age profile), but every club knows that Geelong will be a serious hurdle come the pointy end.

DS
I rate them highly, but if we're not there to challenge them they will have a sweet run. Still through they go missing in big games and suspect as you said who isn't I agree. The problem with them it's happen to often like Port. If we can get our system together and cut the lapses and school boy stuff they will know it's trouble for them.