The Spelling, Grammar and Punctuation Thread [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Spelling, Grammar and Punctuation Thread [Merged]

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Re: Essendon face possible training probe [Merged]

Tigertool said:
Yeah had a bit of a laugh there. ASADA need more evidence then what the PUBLIC have been able to access currently.

Well duh. I'm sure they got a fair bit more on Essendon behind the scenes.
A and e aren't close on the key pad this is not a typo it is a complete misunderstanding of the language. Then and than mean different thinks. Get the point.

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
Re: Re: Essendon face possible training probe [Merged]

HR said:
A and e aren't close on the key pad this is not a typo it is a complete misunderstanding of the language. Then and than mean different thinks. Get the point.
G and K are even further apart... Thing / think

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008

HR said:

I adore it when some fool makes a typo while trying to correct someones grammar. Good stuff mate.

Get over yourself. ::)

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003

larabee said:
G and K are even further apart... Thing / think

Funny. It's amusing when the grammar police stuff up themselves while having a crack at others. It happens a lot.

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006

rosy23 said:
Funny. It's amusing when the grammar police stuff up themselves while having a crack at others. It happens a lot.

Just a question but would it be grammatically correct to have written "...when the grammar police themselves stuff up..?"

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003

scottyturnerscurse said:
Just a question but would it be grammatically correct to have written "...when the grammar police themselves stuff up..?"

I wouldn't have a clue. I don't for one second consider myself to be a grammar expert. I assume people know what I meant. That's good enough for me.

Considering you questioned me I'll return the favour. Should the question mark in your post be inside the inverted commas considering you quoted me but I wasn't asking a question?

jimbob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 20, 2008
Traralgon

HR said:
The occasional comma would also be useful I think. Maybe after the words pad and typo. Without a comma there is no pause. What's really wrong with being a pedant?

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003

jimbob said:
The occasional comma would also be useful I think. Maybe after the words pad and typo. Without a comma there is no pause. What's really wrong with being a pedant?

Each to their own I suppose. Unfortunately pointing out grammatical errors is often used as a personal put down. People have left this site because of it. It also hijacks the discussion on other threads. I'm sure there are many examples of errors in your grammar, in fact I know there are, but do you see any purpose in highlighting them on the football threads?

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Apologies for the satirical reply. Shouldn't be a tosser just because I'm having a bad day. Once again sorry. HR.

mld

hi
Apr 1, 2006
Melbs
I know we aren't supposed to speak about the ignore function any more, but I wish I had an easy tool to filter out the posts of people who fully capitalise words to make a point.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Saw this the other day and chuckled.

Grammar: The difference between knowing your *smile* and knowing you're *smile*.

buenavista

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2014
Re: Re: Troy Chaplin

bruntonave. said:
50m penalty for use of 'agreeance'

Maybe OET is really really old :hihi

Agreeance is a word that seems to be continually reinvented and recycled. The term first appeared in the 16th century and enjoyed its greatest popularity in the 18th and early to mid-19th centuries. Since then it has fallen into disuse.

bruntonave.

Tiger Matchwinner
Nov 18, 2010
Re: Re: Troy Chaplin

buenavista said:
Agreeance is a word that seems to be continually reinvented and recycled. The term first appeared in the 16th century and enjoyed its greatest popularity in the 18th and early to mid-19th centuries. Since then it has fallen into disuse.

Back then it was a 15 yard penalty

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
Re: Gough

rosy23 said:
I can't remember, and haven't read all the posts here yet, but did Gough bring in daylight savings? I remember my dear old father in law blaming Gough for chopping off his toe. He was mowing in poor light due to daylight savings so it was all Gough's fault...or so his story went.

State government responsibility.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Time

Daylight saving not daylight savings.