The Spelling, Grammar and Punctuation Thread [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Spelling, Grammar and Punctuation Thread [Merged]

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
rosy23 said:
Midsy I just saw your comment as I went to press post. Same question. Why is one poster singled out and another ignored. I'll PM you the names too so you can give an informed opinion.

No worries. I haven't noticed loads doing it. I think it was Zips I corrected a couple of weeks ago - I'd just noticed him do it a few times and thought I'd mention it, in case he genuinely didn't know it was a mistake. No malice was intended, and I doubt Zips was offended.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
By the way if anyone is genuinely trying to help the grammatically challenged a PM would be far better than a public post that is not only irrelevant to the thread but also risks humiliating others.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Midsy said:
...... No malice was intended, and I doubt Zips was offended.

I don't know whether zips was offended or not but I do know another poster left the site because others chose to focus on his poor grammar rather than what he had to say. He knew himself that he struggled in that area and admitted he had a poor education. His message to me about it was sad as.

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
rosy23 said:
I don't know whether zips was offended or not but I do know another poster left the site because others chose to focus on his poor grammar rather than what he had to say. He knew himself that he struggled in that area and admitted he had a poor education. His message to me about it was sad as.

Fair enough. That's unfortunate about the other poster. If Zips was offended, he can let me know, and I'll apologise.

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
Dimma's just about the oldest person I've ever encountered who's taken up the teenagers' and kids' horrible practice of deriving a verb from a preposition. At the end of his dissection this week he said " we're heading up to Canberra this weekend to verse GWS".

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
YinnarTiger said:
Dimma's just about the oldest person I've ever encountered who's taken up the teenagers' and kids' horrible practice of deriving a verb from a preposition. At the end of his dissection this week he said " we're heading up to Canberra this weekend to verse GWS".

I like verse. Probably because I first heard it a few years ago when at a mates place, his son, who I love, nagged me to verse him on guitar hero. 'What you on guitar hero?' I said. Cracked me up.

Mappa

Tiger Superstar
Jul 3, 2009
Re: Board Challenge 11am today?

Sir Tiger said:
Any chance of you defending one you my posts Mappa :help

Sorry Sir Tiger I speak English can you translate for me ?

Sir Tiger

Make Richmond Great Again !!
Jun 15, 2016
Re: Re: Board Challenge 11am today?

Mappa said:
Sorry Sir Tiger I speak English can you translate for me ?

I wasn't speaking, I typed it, can you read ?

Mappa

Tiger Superstar
Jul 3, 2009
Re: Re: Board Challenge 11am today?

Wasn't suggesting you were speaking Sir Tiger but I can't respond if you don't explain your post.

E

easy_tiger

Re: Neil Balme

rosy3 said:
Yep it's a bit like so many threads being invaded by poster bashing and questioning grammar etc.

should be a comma after Yep.

:harp

E

easy_tiger

rosy3 said:
By the way if anyone is genuinely trying to help the grammatically challenged a PM would be far better than a public post that is not only irrelevant to the thread but also risks humiliating others.

I mostly agree Rosy. I did a couple of snobby grammar corrections I regretted, and subsequently took your advice.

But some people who post with absolute certainty, are fair game for a grammatical correction IMHO.

sometimes I butcher grammar deliberately. And that.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
A friend is in Japan at the moment, he sent me a photo of a breakfast menu with a dish called 'eggs *smile*'. He didn't go for it because he felt awkward ordering it off the waitress, 'I'll have the....

edit; blocked word is a derogatory term for a promiscuous woman.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
tigersnake said:
A friend is in Japan at the moment, he sent me a photo of a breakfast menu with a dish called 'eggs *smile*'. He didn't go for it because he felt awkward ordering it off the waitress, 'I'll have the....

edit; blocked word is a derogatory term for a promiscuous woman.

Egg Tart?

E

easy_tiger

WesternTiger said:
The old egg slappa!

I had a dish called 'lapdog attack' in vietnam.

I was expecting a whole, battered, deepfried chihuahua.

I got something pretty different.

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
While we're on Asian culinary delights, has anyone ever heard of sannakji?
You need youtube to "see" it properly.
Warning ... only for those with a strong stomach ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq-ELRAgxXA