The stand rule??? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The stand rule???

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
it has made the game look stupid K. That's about as succinct as it gets. well done.
Agree, totally.

It wouldn't look so embarrassingly stupid if the umpires called play on as soon as the player with the ball moves laterally.
At the moment the player standing the mark is left standing like a statue, when in effect, the player with the ball has played on.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
I don't think it has caused our slump. It's just a *smile*, unnecessary rule that has made the game look stupid.

This stupid rule has changed one of the fundamentals of our game. It's a game of movement, it always has been.

Pretty much since the game started the man on the mark has been allowed to move backwards or sideways but NEVER over the mark. Very easy for the umpires & fans to follow & adjudicate. Now the umpires struggle to enforce it properly, we often see the guy with the ball move 5 - 10 metres & play on isn't called. We also sometimes see the guy on the mark jump in the air & not get penalised, which if the rule is to be strictly followed, he shouldn't be allowed to do. ( Isn't he supposed to STAND & NOT MOVE)

As has been said many times on this forum IT'S A DUMB RULE that's added NOTHING to our game.

The same applies to the kick in rule, it's also added NOTHING to the game.

I've tried to watch a few games not involving the tigers this year & quite frankly I found them to be very bland & boring. In previous years it wasn't the case, I've always enjoyed a good game of footy , but they're few & far between now.

There has been far too many unnecessary rule changes imo.

Reactions: 2 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
It is naive to think that the stand rule does not benefit teams who move the ball in passing triangles.

And disadvantages teams who have successfully defended passing triangles in the past.

Reactions: 4 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
The stand rule is a shocker, no doub, but those blaming our demise on it are naive.

So what are we to believe, a new rule us bought in that is detrimental to our game style and Dimma and his brains trust just throw up their hands and go “ah bugger it, I got nothing. Guess thats us done then”?

All 18 clubs play by the same rule. It may have affected us incrementally but it’s not a large reason why we’ve been so poor this season.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
The rule has 100% affected our game. Our game is based on winning the ball back and rebounding. It's much harder to win the ball back with the new rule.

There was a passage of play where it was contest after contest for the ground ball until geelong won it then slowed the tempo with short kicking until they worked it up field for a hawkins mark and goal.

Once we lost the contested ball and geelong got that first mark to settle and relieve the pressure it became much harder for us to get the turnover with the new rule.

The field just opens up for them as they don't have to kick over the outstretched arms of a richmond player.

I remember wayne campbell talking about this a couple of years ago when asked on radio about what makes us so good and what he noticed when he was with us. Without hesitation he said our ability to aggressively man the mark and force the opposition to kick over our fingertips. He said we spent alot of time practicing and perfecting this.

Anyone thinking it hasn't affected our game is fooling themselves.

Reactions: 4 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
The stand rule is a shocker, no doub, but those blaming our demise on it are naive.

So what are we to believe, a new rule us bought in that is detrimental to our game style and Dimma and his brains trust just throw up their hands and go “ah bugger it, I got nothing. Guess thats us done then”?

All 18 clubs play by the same rule. It may have affected us incrementally but it’s not a large reason why we’ve been so poor this season.
It's even more naïve to think it hasn't.

It's like putting a marathon runner in a 100m sprint and saying you know the rules now - it's a level playing field.

We've recruited specific types for a specific purpose over the course of 5 years or so and then they change the rules making these types less effective.

Dimma can only choose from the list at hand. George and Pickett can't all of a sudden thread the eye of the needle with their kicking.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
It's even more naïve to think it hasn't.

It's like putting a marathon runner in a 100m sprint and saying you know the rules now - it's a level playing field.

We've recruited specific types for a specific purpose over the course of 5 years or so and then they change the rules making these types less effective.

Dimma can only choose from the list at hand. George and Pickett can't all of a sudden thread the eye of the needle with their kicking.
So Dimma and the coaching panel haven't got the nous to to coach the players and adjust the game plan accordingly?

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
So Dimma and the coaching panel haven't got the nous to to coach the players and adjust the game plan accordingly?
different players have different strengths.

we've played a certain way for well over 5 years, winning flags, and you're expecting dimma to flick the switch and make his players play a different way? And be successful?

Dimma tried a new slower chipping game plan mid season and it all turned to *smile*. He's now reverted back to our natural game and we are seeing better signs, but the new rule is making it a little harder to truly get our mojo back.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerMad

All for one and one for all
Dec 18, 2002
Richmond introduced chaos football and all other teams were in catch up
Geelong played skillful possession game, and were also in the premiership window.

Richmond manning on the mark was making it hard to kick inboard.
The opposition were forced to kick down the line, and Richmond, with the extra defender, often regained possession and held the ball in our forward fifty.

Bring on 666 ....Richmond still won.
Bring in easier kick out from full back rules to more easily clear out of defence ....Richmond still won.
Add a stationary man on the mark rule ....

I am not normally a conspiracy theorist, but the person who brought in these rules which directly nullified chaos football and
directly assisted Geelong's possession, game is ex Geelong and now suddenly the CEO of Geelong.
All in the same year that Geelong are now premiership favourites.

Reactions: 5 users

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
different players have different strengths.

we've played a certain way for well over 5 years, winning flags, and you're expecting dimma to flick the switch and make his players play a different way? And be successful?
Ok, so you are saying Dimma can't adapt to it, harsh.

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Let's just focus on getting better. In every cloud there's a silver lining. Aside from getting our squad 100% fit over summer for a decent (and final for many) tilt at the flag in 2022, let's address clearance, stoppage and contested ball for next season and not seemingly solely rely on turnovers. Let's also fix the point kick in tactics.

Continue to commit to two rucks and find a structure that suits the playing list within whatever changes the rules are seen to have brought. On occasion that will mean playing man-on-man rather than zone across the ground. This is a talented group and let's back them in.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
The rule has 100% affected our game. Our game is based on winning the ball back and rebounding. It's much harder to win the ball back with the new rule.

There was a passage of play where it was contest after contest for the ground ball until geelong won it then slowed the tempo with short kicking until they worked it up field for a hawkins mark and goal.

Once we lost the contested ball and geelong got that first mark to settle and relieve the pressure it became much harder for us to get the turnover with the new rule.

The field just opens up for them as they don't have to kick over the outstretched arms of a richmond player.

I remember wayne campbell talking about this a couple of years ago when asked on radio about what makes us so good and what he noticed when he was with us. Without hesitation he said our ability to aggressively man the mark and force the opposition to kick over our fingertips. He said we spent alot of time practicing and perfecting this.

Anyone thinking it hasn't affected our game is fooling themselves.

Spot on

Reactions: 1 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012

Lol

Yeah it can happen in an elite sport within the space of 3 weeks I reckon

Dimma has lost his mind

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Injuries have played a massive part.

But tactically we have been castrated.

Combine those two elements and a team that dominated 2017-2020 is now lower mid table at best.

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Injuries have played a massive part.

But tactically we have been castrated.

Combine those two elements and a team that dominated 2017-2020 is now lower mid table at best.
theyre mutually exclusive though, its IMPOSSIBLE to assert our game plan when the teams full of seconds players , the game will simply be on the oppos terms

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
theyre mutually exclusive though, its IMPOSSIBLE to assert our game plan when the teams full of seconds players , the game will simply be on the oppos terms

As a system based team I think we can absorb a modicum of injuries. Everyone knows their role.

But the depth of injuries in spreading mids has cruelled us, no doubt.

Lambert
Edwards
Prestia

These three cannot be covered and have not been covered.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Yeah, fair point but the gist of the discussion was about the new rule disadvantaging us and advantaging sides like Geelong.

I don't plan to go through the stats for every side, but certainly the impact on our games has been negligible and looking at our games vs Geelong that trend continues.

Even the stats you have provided show the change is one extra uncontested mark per team, per quarter. Doesn't support the notion that the stand rule has made the game into a chip mark, chip mark, chip mark, uncontested game as many have pushed.

The one area I would like to see and haven't been able to find is how disposal efficiency has changed. The best teams (Geelong and the Bulldogs) are tracking at about 75 this season, which is a good number but no better than Hawthorn in their 'FC Barcelona' years.

Too simplistic.

For example : We forced Geelong to switch and chip around the backline in previous years.

Now they can advance with relative ease.

And yet the numbers from 2020/21 will be similar. Overall chip/mark numbers do not tell us the story.

If you want to mount an argument based on stats, you’d need to provide GPS ball movement data from 2020 compared to this year.

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
As a system based team I think we can absorb a modicum of injuries. Everyone knows their role.

But the depth of injuries in spreading mids has cruelled us, no doubt.

Lambert
Edwards
Prestia

These three cannot be covered and have not been covered.
i agree a MODICUM of injuries NOT though to a point where there's a fundamental breakdown. Like there's NO way on earth you can replace 4 multi premiership defenders and expect the same result , then we have key MIDS out combined with aging players that have dropped off., it impacts our ABILITY to assert our game plan try as we may