The stand rule??? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The stand rule???

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Only a dumb prick could introduce such a ridiculous rule.
It hasn't improve nothing in the game

Reactions: 3 users

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
The 2 best forward half turnover teams were us and port Adelaide in 2020. We both loved playing the game in our forward half. Lock it in and prevent teams an easy outlet. A big part was forcing a long kick to a contest. The stand rule has provided the ball carrier more options. The 45 short kick either side of the man on the mark is now available. The pressure and perceived pressure we could create on the player with the ball has reduced. So we aren’t getting the opportunity to turn it over from that long kick. If you think this hadn’t impacted our game plan you have rocks in your head.
What I’m saying is we can’t get our hands on the ball to begin with , -30 contested most weeks , tells me we have greater issues with our supply line midfield than what angle we allow the oppo to kick off , you think that’s why we lost games you got rocks in your head

Reactions: 1 users

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
What I’m saying is we can’t get our hands on the ball to begin with , -30 contested most weeks , tells me we have greater issues with our supply line midfield than what angle we allow the oppo to kick off , you think that’s why we lost games you got rocks in your head
This is/was by design. Hardwick has said plenty of times that it is a game of turnovers. We structure up to cause turnovers and punish on the counter attack at the expense of conceding first possession which are usually contested. It worked pretty well for 4 seasons.

Now with the rule changes it’s easier for sides to retain possession through the use of short kicks after winning the ball. Everything we built through recruiting, training and development has been undermined.

Reactions: 2 users

Obelix

Tiger Rookie
May 6, 2005
I'm still waiting for all those "Dustin Martin moments" this rule was supposed to give us.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
You think?
you do know in terms of possession differentials (us v oppo) we effectively get the ball more this year than in our premiership years? That we were
2017 - -10
2018 - -16
2019 - -19
2020 - -11

2021 - -3

So don’t tell me it’s about getting our hands on the ball.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Geelong board room, October 2020

Where did it go wrong, Chris?

They swarmed us in the second half. It isn’t real footy. It’s like getting mugged in a back alley.

We’re gonna back this squad in and open up the war chest. Cameron is in the bag, but it’s all for nothing if Richmond get us again.

There’s something you can do about that. The Tigers slow us down by working the mark, cutting off our angles. They also press harder than anyone, like a reverse flood. I reckon Steve Hocking would listen if we came to him with some ideas on opening up the game.

They’ve been making noises in that direction. All we can do is help the process along. As you say, real footy needs to be saved. Now go off and enjoy that holiday, Chris.

Thanks guys. I’m confident control will beat chaos. We deserve this.

We agree. Let’s do it for Joel and Paddy. Now... anyone got Steve’s number? Oh, it’s right here on his resume.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Not drilled for it, and not skilled for it.

Will have to change our drafting skill sets.

yes.

we have drafted engines/speed/toughs for years.

Any pivot on game plan will have to be subtle.

I reckon there's signs we are taking the forwards pressure to Half Back,

and rebounding, rather than turning over.

We need to recruit the next J McGovern with a golden gloves title and a Stawell gift medal (in addition to Notorius)

obviously, we need a couple of proper clearance mids.

Jacob Hopper priority 1 for me.

Reactions: 1 user

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
t the VFL had different rules to the AFL and made transitioning from one comp to the other more difficult. Does someone know these differences - I like to see if they also contributed.

the main one Im aware of, is the requirement at VFL for 666 at stoppages.

the ump calls 'Density',

and defenders and forwards have to adopt the 666.

from what I can see, it makes the High HF do a heap of useless running, so they are rooted.

Richmond like to push a HF onto the ball and outnumber at stoppages, and we also play the same brand at both levels,

so another way to *smile* us.

They are playing this density rule at elite u18 also, signalling it will come into AFL next year.

It is really *smile*, and another one that Umps, coaches, fans, players HATE,

but the AFL dont care about any of these peripheral stakeholders

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
yes.

We need to recruit the next J McGovern with a golden gloves title and a Stawell gift medal (in addition to Notorius)

I like Hopper, what's his contract status?

pete and tys

Tiger Superstar
Feb 19, 2009
Well well well… some media on this rule just popped up in my news feed.
Randell has previously shown himself to be a twit.
So...the game is much better and the only reason scoring is down is because shooting at goal has been poor this year...for some unknown reason. Oh really. Easy...just have a single goal of 21 meters width at each end. Lots more goals!
And...those dam defenders are ruining the look of the game and stopping scoring...let's reduce them to four per side.
And, and....oh yes, AFLX. You will love it !

• Angry
Reactions: 5 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Well well well… some media on this rule just popped up in my news feed.

That article just reinforces that Rendell is a hopeless footy analist. So we've been " found out" because of the "stand rule"
What a Plonker.
No mention of the fact that we've been absolutely decimated by injuries to key players, at times we've had up to 10 of our starting 18 missing.

How is it that clowns like him & Cornes get jobs in the media, it just reinforces what most of us think about the state of that part of the industry

Reactions: 1 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
yes.

Astute, easy rider

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
You think?
you do know in terms of possession differentials (us v oppo) we effectively get the ball more this year than in our premiership years? That we were
2017 - -10
2018 - -16
2019 - -19
2020 - -11

2021 - -3

So don’t tell me it’s about getting our hands on the ball.
cONTESTed , sharing around some uncontested ball is puffery

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
cONTESTed , sharing around some uncontested ball is puffery
Contested - team v oppo differential
2017 - ranked 12th at 0.2
2018 - ranked 15th at -5.2
2019 - ranked 16th at -7.8
2020 - ranked 13th at -2.6
2021 - ranked 10th at -1.4

try again

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Inside 50”s is a glaring one.
Tigers
2017 - 3rd at +5.3
2018 - 2nd at +10.2
2019 - 2nd at +6.3
2020- 2nd at +8.0
2021 - 6th at +3.6

In that same period Cats have gone
2017 - 9th at +2.2
2018 - 7th at +1.2
2019 - 6th at +2.9