The Tigers' toughest test | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Tigers' toughest test

TigersGoddess

Sing it Loud
Dec 17, 2002
Punt Road Oval
The Tigers' toughest test
11:35:31 AM Wed 21 May, 2003
Rodney Eade
afl.com.au
Saturday’s West Coast-Richmond will be a cracking game between two sides that have found some form.

Richmond has a chance to gain further respect by defeating a quality side in what is the toughest road trip in the AFL.

It will be a contest of hardness and height versus system and pace. With Matthew Richardson in form, it is a difficult choice for John Worsfold to select his opponent.

The Tigers have really improved in tight contests and their hard-ball gets with the likes of Johnson, Coughlan and Newman and this has allowed Bowden, Tivendale and Fiora to play their natural games to great effect.

The Eagles have many quality midfielders who can run all day and coupled with their pace, it gives Worsfold plenty of weapons and Frawley much to think about. The size of Subiaco is going to suit West Coast midfielders more than their Tiger counterparts.

The Eagles have been able to manufacture goals without a name big forward. Glen Jakovich returns this week and has been adequate in his role at centre half-forward, but it is the likes of Embley, Jones, Haines, Sampi who have given support to Matera.

Game plan: The Tigers in the past have had many different styles, sometimes changing from week to week and relying on extra numbers in defence in an attempt to restrict the oppositions’ scoring ability.

They still like to have numbers behind the ball but certainly not as much as in the past. Their biggest improvement has come with their ability to win tight contests and to be able to release their runners. Even with their tall forwards out injured, they have been able to manufacture goals through smart positioning. Richardson back in and in form is obviously their lynch pin in attack.

The Eagles generally are a running side who play possession football, attempting to hit leading targets. They play on quickly at all times and are efficient at getting the ball into the forward line quickly.

The form of Michael Gardiner has been able to give his quality midfield an armchair ride. His contest with Greg Stafford will go along way towards deciding the contest.

Key match-ups: The obvious one is in the ruck. Both players have been in excellent form. Gardiner has been a player with a great deal of natural talent, but has been inconsistent in previous years.

His form at the moment would make him equal Brownlow favourite with Michael Voss. It is not only his athleticism and ability to cover the ground that is impressive, but also his ability to win the taps and hit a teammate on the chest.
Stafford has really responded to the injury to Brad Otters and has relished being the no.1 ruckman.

However, I believe Gardiner’s athleticism, ability to jump at centre bounces and cover the big ground that will give him the edge in this duel.

What does Frawley do? All week, he would have had visions in his mind of Ben Cousins, Chris Judd, Chad Fletcher, Daniel Kerr. Does he go head-to-head with the likes of Coughlan and Johnson, or does he sit on a couple of the Eagle play makers?

Worsfold will be prepared to back his players against Mark Coughlan and Kane Johnson because of the pace factor. Frawley could alleviate this by having Coughlan and Johnson in at centre bounces then have only one of them play on ball, alternating with the other at half-forward.

The player who is playing half-forward could then push into midfield and be used at stoppages and tight situations. This would allow two running-type players to have go-with roles with Eagle midfielders.

These may include Greg Tivendale, Joel Bowden and Aaron Fiora. Obviously, you would not start Fiora at centre bounces and probably not Tivendale. This would give Bowden a centre line role playing on Cousins, while Tivendale and Fiora would be responsible for Judd and Kerr. This would leave Johnson and Coughlan to rotate on Fletcher or Jones.

What does Worsfold do? His biggest issue would be Richardson.

Richardson, with his height, pace and athleticism is a very difficult match-up for most teams. His only options are McIntosh, Carroll and Glass. All of them have weaknesses that Richardson could exploit. McIntosh does not have the fitness or run to keep with him over the distance, Glass is not strong enough in the body to compete one-on-one, so Carroll might be the option, even though there is a discrepancy in height and talent. Carroll will, however, be able to provide a constant contest because of his athletic ability and his ability to hang tough – a quality you need when Richardson goes on a tear.

The verdict: West Coast’s significant home ground advantage will be a factor in the result. The travel should not impact upon Richmond’s performance but the size of the ground and the home ground is worth goals to the Eagles. They will miss Daniel Chick, but certainly have enough players to cover his absence.

It is not just in the midfield where West Cost’s pace is evident. Sampi, Matera and David Wirrpunda are explosive and can expose most teams in this area.

The Tigers have been terrific since round two and more important than the respect they have gained in the football world is the self-belief that must be growing by the week. They will give a good account of themselves, but will fall just a bit short against another quality side. Their big test will come the week after when they encounter the week-after-Perth-factor.

West Coast by 21 points.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
TigersGoddess said:
The Tigers have really improved in tight contests and their hard-ball gets with the likes of Johnson, Coughlan and Newman and this has allowed Bowden, Tivendale and Fiora to play their natural games to great effect.

And what is Aaron Fiora's natural game?? Sitting on the pine making our recruiting staff look like duds for picking him ahead of Pavlich? Or am I just missing all the wonderful little things he does that go unnoticed?

Sorry, couldn't resist. Apart from that it was a reasonably good preview.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
You're being a bit harsh TigerFurious. I'm sure that Aaron Fiora attracts a few members of the opposite sex (males) to the footy. He's got a smaller set of aggots than the bloke to the left.

TigersGoddess

Sing it Loud
Dec 17, 2002
Punt Road Oval
JohnF said:
You're being a bit harsh TigerFurious. I'm sure that Aaron Fiora attracts a few members of the opposite sex (males) to the footy. He's got a smaller set of aggots than the bloke to the left.
Wonder why his nick name around the club is ribs and d**k then :eek:

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
Can't argue with that, he's certainly a *smile*, but lacking in balls. Hahaha, na i'm sure he's a good kid, he just can't play footy too well. Maybe he'll improve... ::)

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Fiora is just another kid who needs some descent game time unlike your avatar John F. God it is an ugly avatar.

You have definitely out done DIGGLER on this one

I worry about you with all these subliminal messages.

(Just Joking), but still believe that Fiora has potential, but needs game time in a position where he can use his natural attribute to really shine. Such as a wing.

Just hope we attack this game from the outset and don't adopt a negative approach to negating them.

We have shown that if we attack we can put other teams on the backfoot early and then capitalise on our own initiative. We just need to do it against the good sides.

IT IS ALL ABOUT BELIEF AND CONFIDENCE.

Go Tigers

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
A fairly good analysis by Rocket with one glaring ommission made: (Trust me to spot it ;D) - CAMPBELL WAS NOT TALKED ABOUT! Did you forget Rodney?

Not that he has to get mentioned but given that he is returning this week and that he is still IMO our key midfielder it was surprising that Rocket said nothing about him and his importance to the match.

By the way, I'd be in favour of playing Campbell off the half back line this week given that I expect Gardiner to dominate the ruck.

Tigerblood

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002
I've noticed that Rocket consistently gets his tips wrong regarding Richmond, so I'm pretty happy about this one. I'm beating his media tips tally too, so there! He always seems to mention Fiora, as if the bloke is a key for us, when in fact he is very, very fringe. I know a very good mate of Paul Kelly, who told me that about a third of the Swans absolutely hated Eade by the end... and that once he was sacked they were so happy - and loved Roos so much - that it was no fluke they went on a winning spree.

On the subject of Fiora, I noticed in the Melbourne game that he shirked an opportunity to go for a mark in the backline - to do so he would have had to back into a pack. I suppose we are spoilt with AK's inspirational ability to do this, but I just don't know about Fiora in the backline. He doesn't have the ticker for it methinks. On a wing or out of the team in my book.