The Wantirna Club | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Wantirna Club

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Just wondering about the Wantirna Club. Do any PREnders frequent the place? Does it have a Richmond feel to it? Would it be a suitable venue for a PRE get together?

Mr Pumblechook

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2004
Not if the club's chief operating officer, Michael Stahl, is to be believed: "He claimed the main bar needed a complete overhaul - the timber was rotting and fungus was growing out of holes, while the external walls had severe cracks."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/richmond-football-club-in-a-stalemate-with-pokies-club-landlord/story-fn7x8me2-1226139979628

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
It's that article which made me think of this thread Mr P. I'd be interested to know if it's something the Club embraces for supporters, like an unofficial social club kind of thing, or if it's more intended just as a cash cow.

It isn't mentioned much on here and I'd be interested to know if Richmond supporters have any sense of belonging there due to our involvement.

Mr Pumblechook

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2004
I used to live reasonably close and visited a couple of times, and for a few games.

For games they put the game on the big screen either downstairs in the bar, or upstairs in a function room. Lots of Tigers, so a good feel.

When it wasn't games, it was just another pokies venue with nothing particular Richmond about it. Perhaps a cabinet with some RFC stuff, but not much more.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Thanks for that Mr P. It sounds as though it's not really a venue the Club embraces as a supporter base.

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Been there a few times. Doesn't seem to be heavily patronised by anyone, let alone Tiger fans.
Ridiculously expensive hire-out fees for functions and poor customer service at management level (one guy in particular who may now be gone) have probably contributed to the lack of patronage.
They wanted $1500 for room hire alone. :eek: And then some insane amount for finger food packages etc.
The location isn't great either.
The food was good last time I went there, even though we were the only ones there.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
The club needs to build a proper clubrooms facility at Punt Road IMO, with something that caters for fans.

Absolutely prime real estate with its proximity to the MCG.

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
Streak said:
The club needs to build a proper clubrooms facility at Punt Road IMO, with something that caters for fans.

I agree...simply not possible to get a better location, and the club needs to fully exploit this

kb7882

Tiger Champion
Jul 10, 2003
Lilydale
Mr Pumblechook said:
I used to live reasonably close and visited a couple of times, and for a few games.

For games they put the game on the big screen either downstairs in the bar, or upstairs in a function room. Lots of Tigers, so a good feel.

When it wasn't games, it was just another pokies venue with nothing particular Richmond about it. Perhaps a cabinet with some RFC stuff, but not much more.

Ditto. Visited a couple of times for games before I got Foxtel. Good during the games but otherwise not very Tiger-ish.

Maxwell

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 23, 2003
Melbourne
Streak said:

Nico said:
I agree...simply not possible to get a better location, and the club needs to fully exploit this

They do, the social club.

Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Richmond FC won a court case today against the Wantirna Club's landlord (also a Tiger supporter).
The club today won a Supreme Court appeal in a dispute with the landlord of its eastern suburbs pokies venue the Wantirna Club.

The win has saved it shelling out more than $100,000 in land tax and prevented a four per cent price hike on its current $950,000 a year rent.

Landlord Verraty Pty Ltd took Richmond to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal in June claiming the land tax payments and rent increase.

Verraty’s owner is Mario Abbotto, a Tigers fan and patron of the club’s Jack Dyer Foundation.

The tribunal ruled in Verraty’s favour sparking a Supreme Court appeal.

Major win for Richmond Football Club ahead of Grand Final (paywalled)