The War on Saturday Afternoon Footy | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The War on Saturday Afternoon Footy

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
If some quarters have gone 35 min this year that is a ridiculous amount of clock stops. For a "continuous" game. Soccer 45 + 2 or 3 min, Old VFL days 25 + 5 max.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
the 50 second gap between goals is appalling. its as bad as the "tv time-outs" they have in USA sports.

Thats not the only reason, and you know it.

I still don't want playing time reduced. If there are "other reasons" state them.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I still don't want playing time reduced. If there are "other reasons" state them.

well i stated one before... you could theorectically play 2 games on fridays.

and games finishing earlier doesn’t just benefit kids, but also people who work the next day. if you start work at 6am the next day, you’re not going to a game of footy that drags out til 10:30pm.

Do you remember last year before COVID hit? The AFL were talking about the idea of cutting the half time break. Their argument was that viewers were dropping off in the second half of games due to people having shorter attention spans (and less time on their hands). You would know more than most that the running time of almost all of the biggest sports in the world is 90-120 minutes.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Yep, throw it up quickly at around the ground ball ups and after a goal would save minutes. Then reduce the 30 second time clock where players are just watching the countdown clock to give the on ballers a rest and we,ll save even more.

That’s a good point
The full 30 secs is frequently not required so surely the analysts to do the stats and determine - on the overall averages - what is the minimum countdown time that would work
Even if it became 25 secs or 20 secs it would be an improvement

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
well i stated one before... you could theorectically play 2 games on fridays.

and games finishing earlier doesn’t just benefit kids, but also people who work the next day. if you start work at 6am the next day, you’re not going to a game of footy that drags out til 10:30pm.

Do you remember last year before COVID hit? The AFL were talking about the idea of cutting the half time break. Their argument was that viewers were dropping off in the second half of games due to people having shorter attention spans (and less time on their hands). You would know more than most that the running time of almost all of the biggest sports in the world is 90-120 minutes.

Sure, I admit I haven't been reading the thread carefully so apologies if I missed that.

I do remember the discussion of people dropping off the telecasts but I reckon that has always happened. Neutrals will drop off because they have other things to do. Neutrals will drop off if the game isn't close. Fans will drop off if their side is going to lose. Only nuff-nuff fans like us will stay to the bitter end. Nothing anyone does will change that pattern.

Two games on a Friday night? LOL. Viewership of the first game will be limited by people coming home. People won't tune in at half time. The second game will start too late and finish way too late. Ratings for both games will be bad. And then of course it makes no sense at all for kids/families who will now get home after midnight if they go to the second game. And plenty of people work Saturdays these days as well. I can't see how you can argue that the current Friday night game finishes too late and then argue you should play two games back-to-back on Friday night.

Broadcasters/advertisers won't go for shorter breaks, whatever we think. They pay for the game just as much as we do. Broadcasters/advertisers won't want to split friday night revenue/advertising between two games - this will cost them more for less return.

Anyways, I miss Saturday afternoon games as well. The best time to go to a footy game at the G.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Two games on a Friday night? LOL. Viewership of the first game will be limited by people coming home. People won't tune in at half time. The second game will start too late and finish way too late. Ratings for both games will be bad. And then of course it makes no sense at all for kids/families who will now get home after midnight if they go to the second game. And plenty of people work Saturdays these days as well. I can't see how you can argue that the current Friday night game finishes too late and then argue you should play two games back-to-back on Friday night.

As per my reply #35

My proposal is that the second friday night game be from Perth starting at 9:30pm Melbourne time (7:30pm Perth time).

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
As per my reply #35

My proposal is that the second friday night game be from Perth starting at 9:30pm Melbourne time (7:30pm Perth time).

I think Perth was earmarked to be Sunday Twighlight in Perth, so Evening viewing on the East Coast

It's amusing that with this year's rolling fixtures, the AFL still get it horribly wrong

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
As per my reply #35

Yeah not many people in Melbourne are going to stay up to watch that one dude. The AFL will maximise games in prime time, not try to pack them in in one evening anyway.

I don't see who this arrangement benefits. Ruins the primetime viewing for the Melbourne game, and people can't get there in time from work anyway.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Huh? If its a game worth going to I could care less what time I have to get up the next day.

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
I suspect the media are told what they can and can’t say, why haven’t they made a story out of the ticket prices that are bubbling amongst fans and impacting crowds

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
I suspect the media are told what they can and can’t say, why haven’t they made a story out of the ticket prices that are bubbling amongst fans and impacting crowds

Because they know which side of the bread is buttered for them. The AFL will have put it out there that the game needs lots of money post COVID.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Because they know which side of the bread is buttered for them. The AFL will have put it out there that the game needs lots of money post COVID.
It's also something that the media never experience personally.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
It's also something that the media never experience personally.
Any media debates on this never get going. You can tell their heart isn't in it. They say they are fans just like us but they have not paid to go to a game since they left school. They never have to sit in the top deck, or miss a finals ticket.