The weather gods pay tribute to Campbell | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The weather gods pay tribute to Campbell

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
7:42:34 PM Sun 13 April, 2003
Paul Gough
afl.com.au

Richmond skipper Wayne Campbell says he will never forget his 250th AFL game and not just because the Tigers delivered him a victory in his milestone game against Fremantle on Sunday.

Campbell said what he will most remember from the game is the extraordinary conditions under which it was played as a freakish rain storm late in the second quarter and throughout half-time turned the MCG into a lake.

For the 30-year-old Richmond skipper, the conditions were a throwback to the days when he began his career in 1991.

“It was a little bit different,” he said afterwards of his 250th match.

“I was trying to think when I last played in those conditions – it’s certainly been a long time.

“Back when I started you seemed to play in eight wet games a year but for whatever reason – whether its global warming or whatever – you just don’t seem to play in those conditions any more.”

But the shocking weather certainly did not affect Campbell’s performance in his milestone game as he did what he has done consistently for the past 12 years – just win the ball.

In fact Campbell finished the day with 21 kicks and nine handballs – despite having to spend time in attack as well as his usual on-ball role given the fact the Tigers were without spearhead Matthew Richardson.

Fittingly Campbell received a standing ovation from the 19,000 fans that braved the atrocious weather when he lead his victorious Tigers from the ground – sharing the moment with first-gamer Tim Fleming, who made a big impact in his AFL debut.

Campbell said he had mixed feelings about his longevity in the game, as he looked back on his 250th match following Sunday’s win.

“You can sort of look at it like everything in life and think well it’s gone quickly,” he said.

“But then you think of everything you’ve done in that time and it’s been a long time but on the other hand it has gone quick as well.”

Campbell became just the tenth Richmond player to reach the 250 game mark on Sunday and he certainly joins an illustrious group with names such as Kevin Bartlett, Jack Dyer, Francis Bourke and Kevin Sheedy amongst the most famous in the game’s history.

And he also joins two former teammates in the prestigious 250 game club in his former captains Dale Weightman and Matthew Knights.

After the game Richmond coach Danny Frawley paid tribute to Campbell and said the gutsy performance from the Tigers on Sunday typified the kind of performances his captain has produced week-in, week-out throughout his long career.

“It was really important for Wayne Campbell that we got a consistent effort (from the team) because his whole career has always been about consistency and his effort over the four quarters (today) and over his whole career has been terrific.

“A lot gets taken away from Wayne Campbell at times but I have only seen him over my time at the club for the past four years and he justs keeps putting his hand up every time we play.”

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
The weather gods pay tribute to the unappreciated god of football. Did look uncomfortable being carried from the ground, being unfamiliar to the respect he was shown.