The Winners | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Winners

haveago

Tiger Cub
May 12, 2007
Does anyone remember the football replay show "the winners " on channel 2 on Sunday nights at about 6pm during the 80's. I am amazed at the amount of people that don't remember the show.

Drew Morphet ( Sorry about the spelling but it is a stupid name anyway ) was one of the commentators but I could'nt name another. Richards and Landy had some pretty crap commentry on 7 but these guys were also pretty bad.

I would watch the 7 replays on Saturday nights then watch it all over again on 2 the next day with the different commentry.

haveago

Tiger Cub
May 12, 2007
Tigers of Old you are a legend. People will now think I am not insane. This is great stuff. Top post ;D

langers1971

Tiger Cub
Mar 4, 2008
the only problem with the winners program was that they only showed about 17 minutes of any one particular game.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
langers1971 said:
the only problem with the winners program was that they only showed about 17 minutes of any one particular game.

Yeah that was weird. Didn't even do highlights, just a random snippet of a qtr.
Still as a young kid in Canberra growing up it was like gold, especially when Richmond weren't the regular game of the week on 7.
Used to stay up late just to watch my beloved Tiges on the ABC.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Tigers of Old said:
Yeah that was weird. Didn't even do highlights, just a random snippet of a qtr.
Still as a young kid in Canberra growing up it was like gold, especially when Richmond weren't the regular game of the week on 7.
Used to stay up late just to watch my beloved Tiges on the ABC.

Where I lived in NSW at the time, the Winners was the only footy I saw apart from the Grandfinal.

langers1971

Tiger Cub
Mar 4, 2008
the winners often showed seperate footage compared to their ch 7 counterpart, whereby if a game was close, the ch7 replay would generally show just the last qtr, where as the winners would show a few mins from the 2nd qtr, 3rd qtr and last few mins of the game.

i have several episodes of the winners in my video collection.

smasha

Richmond Forever
May 23, 2003
Bundoora
ABC had great commentators.
I liked Doug Heywood's commentary.

Did anyone remember when Graeme Richmond was interviewed on the ABC?

He was brilliant.

I thought that was on The Winners but maybe it was another show.

The whole panel fired questions at him and he returned serve with cross court Winners excuse the pun.

Punxsutawney Phil

Its Groundhog Day- same sh!t, different year
Apr 2, 2007
Fox footy a few years back (prior to it being taken off air and then reinstated) showed The Winners With Flares which was replays of old Winners Shows. Was great to watch the old footage. Footy in the 70s and 80s at the old suburban grounds was just so different to what we have now.

I wish they would put some of that stuff on again now, rather than endless replays of the same games over and over.