Thomson Dow | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Thomson Dow

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
The luckiest player to be still on our list.

Has he been injury free this preseason? Would like to take one more look at him without excuses illness, injury, lack of development due to Covid etc before we put a line completely through him.

Reactions: 1 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
The luckiest player to be still on our list.

Has he been injury free this preseason? Would like to take one more look at him without excuses illness, injury, lack of development due to Covid etc before we put a line completely through him.
Heard he’s leaving nothing in the tank at training and will not be going out without a fight

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Heard he’s leaving nothing in the tank at training and will not be going out without a fight
This is great to hear. I don't really care whether he makes it or not but to hear that a young player is doing their utmost will only push others to greater heights. He may make it yet. You just never know. Go Thomson.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
I've never played top level sport like most of us here I guess. What ever separates those that can from those who can't quite is a mystery to me.

Reactions: 1 user

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
We shouldn’t expect much from kids till they show something in the 2's.
Form from TAC etc means nothing

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
I've never played top level sport like most of us here I guess. What ever separates those that can from those who can't quite is a mystery to me.
If typing on a keyboard is a a top level sport, then yes this site is littered with finely tuned athletes

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
BIO Draft year 2018...."Medium midfielder who is explosive and reads the game exceptionally well. He makes good decisions particularly with his creative hands and is composed with the ball but missed a lot of football in 2018 due to injury. He does not turn 18-years-old until October, so there is plenty of upside with his game and physical development. He played all four games for Vic Country and his 18 disposals against Vic Metro at the MCG were encouraging. He averaged 19 disposals and 3.8 marks in five NAB League matches, mixing his football between the Bendigo Pioneers and Geelong Grammar. He is the brother of Carlton’s Rising Star, Paddy Dow."

For those who've seen him up close...has he shown those mid-fielder attributes and has he improved in others? Is he hungry enough on the field and skilled enough to make it?

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
1st rounder, says it all.

1st rounders at Punt Rd might else well be 5th rounders
For context, Dow went Pick 21 which was the very last pick of the first round and in most other years would have been a second round pick.

Looking back, not a huge amount of talent available around that pick. Sure, players like Rivers and Warner (personal favorite of mine) went later in the 30’s but they clearly weren’t in consideration for most clubs at late first, early second round.

Also worth mentioning that we took Cumberland at pick 43 in that draft. If Cumberland and Dow picks were swapped we’d be talking about how great our recruiting was. In the end it doesn’t matter what draft pick you get them at, just that you get them.

Reactions: 7 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
That's exactly what I mean we shouldn't put pressure on our 1st rounders because they have a very high chance of not succeeding.

But our 3rd and 4th rounders usually turn into AFL stars.

We should trade every 1st rounder and just concentrate on taking 3rd or 4th rounders.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty

I've watched a lot of them up close for a long time and it is a mystery to me as well.

If I had to make a hypothesis I would say 95% of it is your innate ability, whether physical or genetical make-up. Not just the stuff we can measure but the intangible ability to do physical things others can't, like catch the ball when others would drop it. I'd call that the Dustin Martin or Shane Warne factor.

Then I reckon maybe 3% is your mental capacity in all sorts of ways, desire, motivation, capacity to handle fear, discpline and just the want to do it.

The other 2% is a mix of the people in your life, family, friends, team mates, coaches etc and of course, luck.

One thing I do know for absolute certain is if anyone tells you they can pick those who will from those who won't, before they actually do or don't, is a liar. Which is why drafting is a lottery.

Reactions: 6 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
That's exactly what I mean we shouldn't put pressure on our 1st rounders because they have a very high chance of not succeeding.

But our 3rd and 4th rounders usually turn into AFL stars.

We should trade every 1st rounder and just concentrate on taking 3rd or 4th rounders.
You're completely conflating an argument, once again, without context nor any semblance of data.

Statistically speaking 1st rounders are more likely to be stars than later picks. No amount of opinion or bleating about it changes those facts. Not for us, not for any club.

I'd go to some effort, to persuade you otherwise, but it'd be a waste of everyone's time.

We understand your opinion Zips, there's absolutely no need to repeat it every third post.

Reactions: 4 users