Thoughts on the superb 1980 Grand Final | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Thoughts on the superb 1980 Grand Final

Roy Sart

Tiger Cub
Sep 29, 2010
Gippsland
In Collingwood talk.. the premership (1980) was a cakewalk. We, Richmond, gave M.Malthouse his 1st premership lets ensure we give him no more. We owe this man nothing as he is indebt to the Tigers.

kinga

Captain King.
Oct 9, 2009
Perth
Hayfever said:
So are Collingwood, especially Magro.
He'd still be having nightmares. Everyone talks about KB (and with good reason), but Rob Wiley was sensational! Also, if Cloke had have kicked straighter....

Tails

Still Chasing Dreams
Mar 10, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I sat in the cheersquad as a 13 year old right on the fence behind the goals at the city end. What a day got there early to see the u19's win. Saw about 20 games that year including all the finals - you can see me in the GF video if you freeze it. Remember this big lunatic supporter next to me punching Ray Byrne in the back when he bent down to pick up the ball after we scored a point, Byrne didn't even flinch. Remember being trown in the air by the guy - what a madman! Also remember being worried at 3 qtr time and we were 10 goals up, *smile* the stress of being a richmond supporter never leaves you :hihi

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
I always find it interesting to look at the best players for Richmond on that day.

KB won the Norm Smith with 7, and Cloke kicked 6 goals, but having watched the game numerous times on DVD, I reckon our best 4 players on the day were

Malthouse, Keane, Lee and Raines

Malthouse was massive early in the game and while he didn't need to do much in the second half, I still reckon he set the tone and I reckon was BOG.

Raines nearly died from leather poisoning, but I reckon it was Keane who really hurt Collingwood because they didn't expect him to play on the ball and had no answer. If you watch closely, Collingwood swung quite a few changes on Keane during the game to try and shut him down, but couldn't. I believe that Keane's performance helped a number of his teammates like Raines, Wiley and Wood really get on top.

Lee was a monster in the ruck all day that day, and against some pretty handy Collingwood talls. And Raines, well he killed them all day.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Al Bundy said:
Fitz 17.14.116 def Rich 16.19.115. Free kick should have been paid to Barlett for a head high tackle near the square, bals gets taken up the other end & at he 27 min mark of the 4th qtr & goal,
Not that I can hold a grudge for long ;)

An older (late 50's/early 60's) female Fitzroy supporter stood near me and yelled "Come on Lions" and "Go Lions" in an extremely annoying voice for the entire match. I really wanted to scream at her but she didn't do anything wrong. Technically.

Tails

Still Chasing Dreams
Mar 10, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Streak said:
I always find it interesting to look at the best players for Richmond on that day.

KB won the Norm Smith with 7, and Cloke kicked 6 goals, but having watched the game numerous times on DVD, I reckon our best 4 players on the day were

Malthouse, Keane, Lee and Raines

Malthouse was massive early in the game and while he didn't need to do much in the second half, I still reckon he set the tone and I reckon was BOG.

Raines nearly died from leather poisoning, but I reckon it was Keane who really hurt Collingwood because they didn't expect him to play on the ball and had no answer. If you watch closely, Collingwood swung quite a few changes on Keane during the game to try and shut him down, but couldn't. I believe that Keane's performance helped a number of his teammates like Raines, Wiley and Wood really get on top.

Lee was a monster in the ruck all day that day, and against some pretty handy Collingwood talls. And Raines, well he killed them all day.
I think if you look at the 73, 74 & 80 Grand Finals, Merv Keane played outstandingly in every one. He was our unsung big game performer.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Sintiger said:
He held the record for the most games without a Brownlow vote at one point . Don't know if he still has that record ?

Jason Blake has played 172 h&a games without earning a vote and officially holds the record.

Keane earned his first votes in 1982. To the beginning of that season, he'd played in 155 matches in which votes were cast. There is no way of knowing which match or matches he received his 2 votes in.

Commentators regularly said of Keane, "Never plays a bad game, this bloke!"

Punxsutawney Phil

Its Groundhog Day- same sh!t, different year
Apr 2, 2007
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Jason Blake has played 172 h&a games without earning a vote and officially holds the record.

Keane earned his first votes in 1982. To the beginning of that season, he'd played in 155 matches in which votes were cast. There is no way of knowing which match or matches he received his 2 votes in.

Commentators regularly said of Keane, "Never plays a bad game, this bloke!"

I am pretty sure Aaron Fiora never polled a brownlow vote in his 150 off games.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Punxsutawney Phil said:
I am pretty sure Aaron Fiora never polled a brownlow vote in his 150 off games.

Yep, there's a list at the bottom right of this page.

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/brownlow/brownlow_idx.html#3

The figures exclude games in which no votes were cast, i.e. finals and rounds where Victoria was playing on the same day.

Some others chalked up big numbers before earning their first votes, e.g. North's Ross Smith 154 games.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Considering this thread relates to the 1980 GF, I'll just post a little (trivial) perception I noticed on TV last week.

I'm not sure if anyone's still watching Prisoner on Foxtel's 111 Hits channel, but last week I saw a 1980 episode (2nd year of series) where Vera Bennett (Vinegar Tits ;D) grabbed a pile of newspapers to edit and as she held the back page toward the camera, I read this title in the sports section:

Tiger quits

Monteath heads west

As it's a 1980 episode, it looks like Bruce left us straight after the 1980 GF. It's funny looking back at the old Herald......... ;D

Pickers35

Tiger Rookie
Mar 24, 2008
MELBOURNE
Looking through some old stats i noticed Ian Scrimshaw missed the 80 flag after playing the 6 previous games with some handy numbers. Was he injured or dropped ?.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Pickers35 said:
Looking through some old stats i noticed Ian Scrimshaw missed the 80 flag after playing the 6 previous games and with some handy numbers. Was he injured or dropped ?

Dropped (emergency). Someone had to make way for Cloke, Wood & Rowlings.

I don't remember it, but we apparently named a five-man bench on the Thursday night.

1980selection_zps7315b7b4.jpg

Interestingly the article also has the chairman of selectors saying that Monteath wouldn't be captain on the day.

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
Pickers35 said:
Looking through some old stats i noticed Ian Scrimshaw missed the 80 flag after playing the 6 previous games with some handy numbers. Was he injured or dropped ?.

Dropped.

Personally, I remember at the time feeling that it was unfair.

But, he wasn't Robinson Crusoe.