Thoughts on the superb 1980 Grand Final | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Thoughts on the superb 1980 Grand Final

tigerdave

Ya just gotta stand in line
Feb 1, 2006
I rememer the 80 win as it was one the Funniest day's of my life.

I was 15 at the time and watched it in the pub with the senior boy's from our Footy club.The older boy's were so P!ssed by the end of the game that they took some blokes motorbike from outside the pub & bought it inside the pub & raffled it off.

The bloke that owned the bike even bought a ticket & commented..Gee that's a nice looking bike!! We were in raptures.

Just thought i share that little story with ya's!

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
tigerdave said:
I rememer the 80 win as it was one the Funniest day's of my life.

I was 15 at the time and watched it in the pub with the senior boy's from our Footy club.The older boy's were so P!ssed by the end of the game that they took some blokes motorbike from outside the pub & bought it inside the pub & raffled it off.

The bloke that owned the bike even bought a ticket & commented..Gee that's a nice looking bike!! We were in raptures.

Just thought i share that little story with ya's!
My carlscum brother wondered where his bike went to, ya mob of *smile** and yep he does know a nice bike when he sees one ;D
Hope they raised plenty and spent it well Dave ;D

tigerdave

Ya just gotta stand in line
Feb 1, 2006
willo said:
My carlscum brother wondered where his bike went to, ya mob of * and yep he does know a nice bike when he sees one ;D
Hope they raised plenty and spent it well Dave ;D

All the Eddy boy's & Baldwins & Schmidts!!!Bloody Catholics...Can't trust em! :hihi

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
The thing that stands out to me that day was how our talls controlled the direction of the ball. Mark Lee probably got less than 5 or 6 possessions that day, but in my opinion was a shade ahead of Bartlett and Raines for BOG. His sheparding, and knocking on were fantastic, as was Cloke's!

I still have the two editions of Inside Football and the Age from after that GF!

Commentators were asking "who will stop this side in the 80's"! - Amazing how quickly the mighty can fall!

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
tigersnake said:
What a fantastic flag that was. Also at the end of the DVD they show the ladder, we finished 3rd, half a game behind Geelong and Carlton, but our percentage is a full 20% higher than both.

If you can find them, check out the results of every game we played that season. We kicked some very impressive scores.

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
frickenel said:
The thing that stands out to me that day was how our talls controlled the direction of the ball. Mark Lee probably got less than 5 or 6 possessions that day, but in my opinion was a shade ahead of Bartlett and Raines for BOG. His sheparding, and knocking on were fantastic, as was Cloke's!

I still have the two editions of Inside Football and the Age from after that GF!

Commentators were asking "who will stop this side in the 80's"! - Amazing how quickly the mighty can fall!
Injuries killed us early in 1981 AND a maggot of a umpire in round 17 costs us a finals birth.

Fitz 17.14.116 def Rich 16.19.115. Free kick should have been paid to Barlett for a head high tackle near the square, bals gets taken up the other end & at he 27 min mark of the 4th qtr & goal,
Not that I can hold a grudge for long ;)

Ladder
5th Fitz 56 pts (finals)

6th Haw 52 pts
7th Rich 52 pts

Funny enough Fitz lost by a 1 pt in the semi (one of the rare times I was happy for Collingwood to win)

Gordietiger

The Rolls Royce!
Apr 14, 2004
Try this for the first quarter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVo0Qg-BtTc

Try this for the last 4 minutes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1FQ1K50Z7o

or this for highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uNRQ7iYVyw

Hard to believe 28 years has passed us by!!

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Have just been checking out Mick Malthouse's new website and found some rare good quality web images from the 1980 GF which I thought I'd share on here..

Lap of honour.
60.jpg

From left Roach, Mount, 'Woosha' Welsh, Raines, Weightman, Bourke, Malthouse, Dunne, Strachan, Freame, Wiley, Cloke?, Rowlings, Jess.

Malthouse, KB & Francis Bourke.
64.jpg

Good image of the 'lace up' jumper as worn by Mick & several other Tigers of that generation.
62.jpg

For anyone interested Malthouse's site is here..

http://www.michaelmalthouse.com.au/

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Great pictures Oldie. I still hold a little anger that Mick was a successful coach at WC and Collingwood and not us.

Tell me if I'm wrong but I still think that players in that era 'enjoyed' a premiership win more than current players do.

On-field premiership celebrations nowadays seem to be all copied (EPL style) and acted.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
TigerForce said:
Tell me if I'm wrong but I still think that players in that era 'enjoyed' a premiership win more than current players do.

Not sure about that. I reckon players would still be pretty happy winning it these days.
Unsurprisingly they don't swap jumpers these days though. :spin

Can't believe that moment is two weeks shy of 30 years ago.
I never thought as a bright eyed young Tiger cub I'd be waiting this long to see them carry the cup again..
Glad I got to enjoy it at least once. Hopefully will again one day.

I wasn't born, but have the video, and find it hard to think as a 7 or 8 year old that this was only 8 years ago!

Interesting to note, when Richo retired, we lost a bit of 1980 premiership history, as he was the the last Tiger to play with a member of that team, playing several games alongside Dale Weightman in 1993!

Gee it seemed like one of the great days at the footy! Can only imagine...

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Approaching the 30th anniversary of Richmond’s last premiership win (September 27, 1980), Tiger great Dale Weightman reflects on that glorious triumph over traditional rival Collingwood . . .

A Grand Flea Flashback

bourke80_246c.jpg

Francis Bourke with the 1980 premiership cup

“In 1980, I was living in Punt Road, Richmond with two other Tiger players in Col Waterson, and Robbie Semmens. Robbie was playing in the under 19s back then and they’d also made the Grand Final, so he was up and about early on the Saturday morning getting ready for his big game.

I also awoke early, had a good breakfast, and then listened to predictions on the radio of a Collingwood victory in the Grand Final. One clairvoyant-type bloke said it was all written in the stars that the Magpies would win, while 1980 Brownlow Medallist, Footscray’s Kelvin Templeton, also went for the Pies on the basis that the Tigers appeared to be front-runners. Pretty hard not to look like front-runners when you’re 10-15 goals ahead of your opposition for much of the season!

The bottom line was that the Magpies went into the Grand Final having gathered some good momentum during September. They’d finished fifth at the end of the home-and-away season, but had beaten North Melbourne, Carlton and Geelong in three cut-throat finals, to advance through to the big one. Richmond, on the other hand, had accounted for Carlton in the qualifying final and Geelong in the second semi-final, to get a week off before the Grand Final.

I was quietly confident going into the match that we’d win, even though I’d never been in that situation before at the game’s highest level. Sure, I’d been in junior grand finals, but you just turned up, played, and hoped that you win. This was very different - especially for a bloke only 20 years old (I actually turned 21 the Saturday after the 1980 Grand Final).

As I walked up Punt Road to the MCG from my house in Richmond, I thought about my injured teammate Bruce Tempany. Bruce, one of the unluckiest players to pull on a boot for the Tigers, had damaged his achilles in our second semi-final victory over the Cats, and wouldn’t be part of the Grand Final action. At our team meeting during the week, Bruce came along and spoke to us about what it meant to him to miss out on playing in the Grand Final. It was very emotional, and we all had tears in our eyes by the time he’d finished. I vividly recall our coach, Tony Jewell, then saying, “If you blokes don’t f ------ beat this mob, you can all go and get f------!” And, then TJ walked out the door. That was the end of our team meeting. As far as TJ was concerned, we’d done all the planning and preparation. Bruce Tempany’s situation was a bit of emotional motivation for us . . .

When I arrived at the ground, I was really taken with all the color and atmosphere. It was a fantastic day weather-wise and the Tiger fans were out in force. The important thing, from a player’s perspective, was not to get caught up in all the hype that Grand Final day generates.

We were lucky at Richmond to have experienced campaigners such as Kevin Bartlett, Francis Bourke, Bryan Wood and Merv Keane. They weren’t worried about the occasion - they just focused on doing the things that needed to be done, and treated the Grand Final more like a normal game.

I remember seeing a lot of people in our rooms before the game - former players, etc. - but because we were so focused on the task at hand, I couldn’t specifically tell you who was there. It’s fair to say I was right in ‘the zone’ that day - and that’s the way it was with all our other blokes, too. You could see it in their eyes, and I knew then that Collingwood would have to play their very best football to beat us.

Running through the giant cheer squad banner out on to the field, I vividly recall dodging all this stage equipment that had been set up for the Grand Final’s pre-game entertainment, which was provided by the late Peter Allen. Fair dinkum, it was the biggest stage of all time and they still hadn’t got it off the ground when we ran out there. We were thinking, ‘get this sh-- off’!

Anyway, finally, they cleared the arena and we were set to go . . . You could actually tell from the opening bounce that we were really switched on. TJ and the selectors had really done their homework well because our match-ups worked a treat.

Merv Keane, normally a reliable defender, ruck-roved most of the day and kicked two goals in a fine performance; Terry Smith went on to Magpie danger man Rene Kink and shut him down; Jimmy Jess playing at centre half-forward, rather than his customary position at centre half-back, provided us with another strong target in attack; and Stephen Mount, who was shifted to centre half-back, did a top job.

Then, you had Peter Welsh, who actually was a reserve for the Richmond reserves in the last home-and-away round. ‘Woosha’ was having an end-of-season drink with the reserves boys on the following Monday, when TJ contacted him and told him to get down to training. TJ felt he needed someone to play on the likes of Michael Turner (Geelong) and Ricky Barham (Collingwood) - and Woosha was just the bloke for the job.

It’s history now, of course, that Woosha went on to be one of the success stories of our 1980 finals campaign. He epitomised what we were all about with his fierce determination and will-to-win.

With Kevin Bartlett in freakish form roaming the forward line, and David Cloke marking everything near goal, Collingwood just didn’t know what hit ‘em. The dynamic duo booted 13 goals between them (KB seven and ‘Clokey’ six) to mangle the Magpies.

Big ‘Scotch’, in fact, finished with 6.5. I delivered three passes to him - and he missed the lot of them, from inside the 10-yard square! He could easily have kicked 10 goals in the Grand Final, such was his dominance.

‘Rainesy’ (Geoff Raines) was superb, too, in the centre. He’d had a fantastic season and was favorite for the Brownlow Medal - but didn’t score a single vote from the umpires! Funnily enough, after the Grand Final, the umpire came up to Rainesy and said, “I would have given you three votes today, even though it was KB who won the Norm Smith medal for best-on-ground . . .”

My big mate, ‘The General’ (Mark Lee) had a tough assignment on Collingwood ruck star Peter Moore - and he did it magnificently. General just smacked the ball forward at all costs, and consistently gave us first use, which was so important.

We had some really good on-ballers, with the likes of Barry Rowlings and Robert Wiley, and they ensured a steady supply of leather into the forward line, where KB, Clokey and co. did the rest.

From a personal perspective, I went into the match just hoping I’d get a kick. As luck would have it, I kicked the first goal of the Grand Final, thanks to ‘Ghost’ (Jimmy Jess), who was ruffled up in an early incident by my opponent, Stan Magro. Following that, I was sitting out there on my own in the forward pocket, and Ghosty cleverly got the ball over to me. I managed to steer it through the ‘big sticks’, much to my relief, and the delight of the Tiger masses at the ground. The roar of the crowd when I kicked that opening goal was unbelievable and something I’ll never forget.

At each break during the match, it didn’t matter how far in front we were, the message from TJ stayed the same - “Scores are level, get back on track, and let’s go away from them!” TJ was hell-bent on making sure that we never got ahead of ourselves at any stage. We had made it through to the big one because we’d proven we were a good side. What we had to do now was keep really focused and do the things we knew made us successful.

It wasn’t until about the 20-minute mark of the last quarter that we allowed ourselves to think we were going to win the premiership. That’s how focused we were on just getting the job done!

And, it was with only 10 minutes to go, that TJ made his first interchange changes of the entire match, even though we were 12 goals in front for a fair bit of the contest. He brought our captain Bruce Monteath and Daryl Freame on to the ground for those final few minutes, although it was a real struggle for our runner, Peter Grant, to find someone who would agree to come off.

Eventually, I thought I’d better do the right thing and allow our skipper a run. So, I went to the bench, as did Stephen Mount, allowing Bruce and Daryl to soak up some of the glorious on-field atmosphere.

It was an incredible feeling when the final siren sounded. I remember thinking, “How bloody good is this . . . we’ve actually done it”! Mind you, it probably took a couple of days for it to sink in that we’d achieved something pretty special.

Back in the rooms afterwards, it was crazy, with happy people everywhere. I’d got a Grand Final ticket for a good mate of mine, Peter King, who’s a Collingwood supporter. His seat happened to be in the middle of the Richmond cheer squad, which I thought was hilarious. ‘Kingy’ rocked up with all his Collingwood gear on, but about 20 minutes into the game, he took it off and started yelling out, “Go Tigers”!

And then, I don’t know how he did it, but I looked around in the rooms at one stage during the post-game celebrations - and there was Kingy, drinking merrily out of our premiership cup . . . I asked him how he’d managed to get into the rooms in the first place and he said, “I just walked up the race”. He was one of the first blokes to drink out of the precious cup. To this day, I still don’t know how he got away with it . . .

Our official premiership dinner that evening was held at the old Southern Cross Hotel, and Stephen Mount got festivities underway in style, rocking up to the celebrations with two sisters - twins, if you don’t mind - one on each arm. And, they were glamors . . .

Not surprisingly, it was a huge night, and it was back to Punt Road the next day for more of the same. But it was ‘Mad Monday’ at ‘The Whale’s’ (Brian Roberts) pub in South Melbourne where the biggest celebrations took place. That just went on and on and on . . . It was fantastic.

The sobering thought, however, amid all the euphoria, were the words from legendary Club administrator Graeme Richmond in the rooms after the game. GR simply said, “Well done boys. Let’s start planning for next year.”

We had won the Grand Final by a record margin, but GR was already thinking how we could improve in 1981 . . .

1980 Grand Final details

RICHMOND 6.5 11.11 15.17 23.21 (159)
COLLINGWOOD 2.6 4.10 5.18 9.24 (78)

Goals - RICHMOND: Bartlett 7, Cloke 6, Wiley 3, Roach 2, Keane 2, Weightman, Jess, Rowlings.

Best - RICHMOND: Bartlett, Raines, Lee, Wiley, Cloke, Wood, Keane, Bourke.

Attendance: 113,461

Grand Final player statistics

Mick Malthouse: 10 kicks, 6 handballs, 3 marks

Francis Bourke: 14 kicks, 2 handballs, 2 marks

Emmett Dunne: 8 kicks, 6 marks, 4 handballs

Greg Strachan: 5 kicks, 2 handballs, 0 marks

Stephen Mount: 7 kicks, 8 handballs, 3 marks

Terry Smith: 11 kicks, 6 handballs, 2 marks

Peter Welsh: 13 kicks, 4 handballs, 4 marks

Geoff Raines: 19 kicks, 17 handballs, 4 marks

Bryan Wood: 11 kicks, 12 handballs, 7 marks

Barry Rowlings: 12 kicks, 6 handballs, 0 marks

Jimmy Jess: 9 kicks, 7 marks, 5 handballs

Kevin Bartlett: 20 kicks, 1 handball, 9 marks

David Cloke: 11 kicks, 1 handball, 9 marks

Michael Roach: 7 kicks, 1 handball, 3 marks

Dale Weightman: 6 kicks, 14 handballs, 2 marks

Mark Lee: 6 kicks, 6 handballs, 3 marks

Merv Keane: 14 kicks, 13 handballs, 4 marks

Rob Wiley: 20 kicks, 6 handballs, 8 marks

Bruce Monteath: 1 kick, 2 handballs, 1 mark

Daryl Freame: 2 kicks, 0 handballs, 1 mark

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/103010/default.aspx

MurrayValleyTiger

Another Famous Loss? Please, Not Again!
Jan 19, 2005
Cobram
It was a great day. No doubt about it.
I travelled down from Benalla on the old Spirit of Progress as a 15 year old in Year 10.
As I was the biggest, I bought the cans from the old Markilles Hotel in Flinders Street, drank them in the ground and used them to stand on as we had standing room tickets on the wing in the old Southern Stand.
I tell my son often, öne day mate it will happen again"! I hope to be beside him when it does happen!

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Link to The Age's Monday wrap

http://news.google.com.au/newspapers?id=ZwARAAAAIBAJ&sjid=4ZIDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3706,6629193

Found this bit interesting. Shows how much the game has changed in 30 years.

Jewell is the unknown coach, a man whose public image has been tainted by his poor presentation at World of Sport. Part of that comes from Richmond's Sunday morning training, usually held around a keg; part from Jewell's fear of public speaking. As he said on Saturday: "World of Sport is usually a wipe-out."

Also...

After the presentation of the premiership cup, [Barry Rowlings and Peter Welsh] asked Richmond general manager Richard Doggett if they could borrow it for a few moments. They had found out where the Hawthorn officials were sitting in the MCG - Bay 11 - and raced over to them. The pair held the cup aloft and offered the crowd several two-fingered gestures.