Thumbs up for Tiger stripes! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Thumbs up for Tiger stripes!

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au
9:07:12 AM Thu 7 August, 2003

Richmond will wear its original VFL strip in Saturday night's Round 19 match against St Kilda, as part of the AFL's Heritage Round.

The yellow and black vertical stripes with black socks was what the Tigers wore when they entered the VFL in 1908. They had previously worn that uniform in the VFA.

In 1910, Richmond changed to a black guernsey with a yellow horizontal band, which subseqently transformed into the famous sash.

Richmond's museum curator and member of the Club's Historical Society, Ron Reiffel, said the guernsey for Saturday night's clash with the Saints certainly paid due respect to the Tigers' grand history.

"It's quite spectacular, actually," said Reiffel, who had a sneak preview of the new-old look when the Tigers trained in the strip at Punt Road on Wednesday.

"I would never want to see our traditional jumper (the black with yellow sash) change, but maybe in the practice matches and Wizard Cup games, the striped guernsey would be a good alternative.

"In its form, it really does look great. I really think it stands up as well as any of the other clubs -- better than most, in fact.

"Let's face it, we’ve got a proud heritage and we wish to display it as best we can. The jumper for Saturday night's game definitely does that."

tigerman said:
Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au
9:07:12 AM Thu 7 August, 2003

"It's quite spectacular, actually," said Reiffel, who had a sneak preview of the new-old look when the Tigers trained in the strip at Punt Road on Wednesday.

"I would never want to see our traditional jumper (the black with yellow sash) change, but maybe in the practice matches and Wizard Cup games, the striped guernsey would be a good alternative.

"In its form, it really does look great.

What ???

Ron - I love the work you do for the club - the Museum is fantastic but .....

Personally I would hate to see that jumper in the pre-season or as alternate strip. For one, it is just way to close to Hawthorn's and secondly it (IMHO) is way too outdated. Yuk

Personally I would be happy to see Richmond playing in any style of guernsey as long as we retain the famous colours of yellow and black.
Wearing the striped top for tomorrow's night game for the purpose of joining into a bit of fun with the rest of the clubs is fine by me although it is going to feel strange trying to make out whose who from our boys.
I think it will make Otto, Richo and Staff look even taller than what they are.
Have a good win TIGES

For 5 or so years of my playing country footy my club (Tigers) chose to play wearing the vertical black & yellow stripes.
At the time it seemed OK but in hindsight looking back at team photo's it was bloody awful in comparison.
The club I played for then changed back to the "proper" jumper. Just looked right!

I'm going to wait to see how the guernsey looks when the whole team is out on the park.
As long as we are still wearing the YELLOW AND BLACK I'm not too fussed.
I reckon that they might look alright.