Tiger Adds | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tiger Adds

Khan

Lets Roar in 2004
Dec 17, 2002
Tigerland
Can anyone tell me what this weeks add was

and Does anyone know of a site somewhere that has them. They are absolute classics

Lets Roar

Khan

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I'm with you here Khan, I think the ads are good fun.
I think they get back to grass roots footy rather than the corporate business run side of it. The yobbos in the outer as opposed to the chardonnay set behind glass windows.
I think it's clever to have a different ad each week rather than the same one all season that people will switch off to after a few viewings.
I didn't see the Saints ad, I think they said in the chatroom last night it was singing our song in a church?
My suggestion for this week was to sing the song at a pitch that would shatter Shane Crawfords mirror.
I'm almost tempted to start watching telly more just to see the ads. ;D

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
Gotta say Khan & Rosy - disagree disagree disagree :-\

I think they are embarassing. I can honestly say I haven't laughed at any of them. I have only cringed. I appreciate the point you make Rosy about looking at people in the outer rather than the corporates but I don't think it portrays Tiger fans in the most positive of lights. I sit in the outer (or the upper as the case was at the Dome yesterday) and I don't see myself as a yobbo and I must say I don't like my Club being portrayed that way.

But each to their own ;)

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Agreed KoalLill, the ads to me seem cheap and poorly thought out, was glad to hear that'll only be for this year!!

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I can't say I've laughed at the ads either, but I can laugh at myself.
I don't think what I said about yobbos and chardonay sets should be taken too literally, ha.
People are people to me and I take them for what they are.
I cringed far more with the ad last year and we were stuck with it for week after depressing week.
At least these ads are quick and ever changing so we don't hear Danny asking why the team should bother showing up when half the time it seemed they didn't anyway, even though the supporters did.
Yeah one year of these is enough imo, one year of last years ad was way too much.
A lot of kids I've spoken to at local footy love the ads so as you say KL, each to their own.

P.S. I have to admit I don't have any great authority to comment on the ads, I've seen the Pies and Dockers episodes once each and didn't see the Dogs or Saints ones at all.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Koalalill said:
Gotta say Khan & Rosy - disagree disagree disagree :-\

I think they are embarassing. I can honestly say I haven't laughed at any of them. I have only cringed. I appreciate the point you make Rosy about looking at people in the outer rather than the corporates but I don't think it portrays Tiger fans in the most positive of lights. I sit in the outer (or the upper as the case was at the Dome yesterday) and I don't see myself as a yobbo and I must say I don't like my Club being portrayed that way.

But each to their own ;)

I'm with KL and TD, IMHO they are embarrassing and not how the club needed to portray itself after the disaster of 2002. I know it would be hard to sell the side after last year's inept effort but a bit more thought and creativity would have helped. I would have thought after getting Miller, Brittain, Johnson and Blumfield to the club plus the encouraging signs from youngsters Cogs, Rodan and Zantuck that there would have been an ad to re-enforce and remind supporters that the club had done a fair bit over the off-season to turn the club around and head it back into the right direction. To say 2002 was totally pitiful and things needed to be and had been shaken-up.

Agree last year's ad was cringe material as well after the round 2 Essendon match.

Khan

Lets Roar in 2004
Dec 17, 2002
Tigerland
They may not portray what you consider the average supporter. However 3 points

1) They dont cost a mint to make, so they spend the money on getting it to appear at a decent time of day. Not 11:30pm being shown to the Sci Fi sect (I am one of them) who in general aren't interested in footy. I saw the dockers add at 7:30pm on a wednesday night.

2) They arn't advertising the club and membership , they are advertising the game for that week. This creates a nice cycle.

More people through the turnstile more money, More money will equate to a higher profile. A Higher proifile better sposership. Better Sponsership better facilities. Better Facilities means more content players. Content players hopefully means more wins and staying put. More wins means more members. The circle goes on

3) They are short and sweet and gets the clubs name in the public eye without having a contriversy. Eddie does the same thing with Collingwood on the footy show. We dont have that luxury so lets do something different. We have a huge supporter base out there , who need prodding that there is a football match on the weekend. Heck this is better than guilting them into it like what was tried last year.

Marketing is a strange beast, you have to get your product in the public eye. In the past the only way the RFC has been in the public eye is by Sacking Coaches, getting Drunk and arrested or almost losing their Major sponser.

I was at a pre wake the other week, for a friend who is dying of Motor Nueron Syndrom. People I have never met were talking and laughing about those adds. Not putting the club down, but saying how good the adds were in comparrison to their clubs (geelong in particular). Getting people to the game is what their aim is , so lets see how they go.

Of course some good strong wins will also achive this :D. The team is doing that so

Lets Roar

Khan

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
The ad's are strange to say the least (the ones on Foxtel anyway). I also question the reasons for adveritising to get people to go to another teams home games. Anyway as long as tiger supporters get to these games i cant argue.

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
Khan said:
1) They dont cost a mint to make, so they spend the money on getting it to appear at a decent time of day. Not 11:30pm being shown to the Sci Fi sect (I am one of them) who in general aren't interested in footy. I saw the dockers add at 7:30pm on a wednesday night.

2) They arn't advertising the club and membership , they are advertising the game for that week. This creates a nice cycle.

Marketing is a strange beast, you have to get your product in the public eye. In the past the only way the RFC has been in the public eye is by Sacking Coaches, getting Drunk and arrested or almost losing their Major sponser.

Khan I understand the points you raise but I would like to clarify a couple of things. Firstly, these ads were discussed at length at our last members forum evening.

1. You are correct they don't cost a mint to make. They are actually paid for out of the TV rights deal. Each Club is allocated an amount to make ads. Air time is given by the 3 networks as part of that deal. The CLub is not paying for them being aired.

2. These ads are supposed to be membership driven. That is their purpose - to encourage people to buy memberships. In that regard I think these ads fail miserably. Granted we need people through the turnstiles but what we need more than anything at the moment is members. I CANNOT stress this enough. I have said this many times we are currently 6000 members down on last years final figures that = $600,000. That is money this club can ill afford to lose.

Marketing - you are absoutely right. It is a strange beast. In the past the Club hads marketed itself abysmally to say the least. But the Club now has a very clear marketing strategy on how it wants to be viewed by Sponsors and more importantly its members - these ads unfortunately do not equal that stategy in any way. I mentioned on my last Members Forum post about a video we were shown. That video shows what the Club is striving for, how it wants to be seen. It was inspirational. And believe me it leaves these ads for dead. It would sell memberships and get people through the turnstiles. Unfortunately, due to AFL restrictions it cannot been shown to the general public. The Club is working on changing that but until then everyone will have to take my word on it.

Khan

Lets Roar in 2004
Dec 17, 2002
Tigerland
:)Thanks for Replying Koalii.

These are just the opinions of a continuous tiger member since 1987 and supporter since 1969. I have been involved in sending different ideas for increasing membership over the years. (Some of which have at least been read)

I understand that we need members above all, but you have to first get those people to turn up to games. If they turn up the may see the excitment of Rodar, Johnson and Couglan, the toughness of Fleming and Zantuck or the pure guts of Rich and Cambo. These are things that cannot be truly experienced on the TV (esp with Cometti or Eddie commentating). They have to be there LIVE. Maybe a phamlet (not a glossy) that just indicates the benefits of membership of going to that game.

The next three weeks are the most important weeks we can have for the membership drive. If we can win say two out of the three then you may see the general public sit up and take notice. You might see those supporters go, 'Hell the membership just might be worth it'.

The thing I see these adds doing is advertising the next weeks game, rather than nagging them into resigning which is what I see the other clubs adds doing. A follow up letter/email around now may be the nudge that is required to get those missing members to sign up.

If its membership that is discussed at these forums has the PTB thought of the pure ecomics of going to the football. I am a single parent, I have paid my membership every year even though very rarely do I get to go all 11 home games. Maybe a membership which isn't the full eleven home games is what is needed. Just maybe this would get some of those who dropped off last year back on the books. Say an MCG only membership or a 7 game membership. Instead of loosing all the membership money for those that think it is not worth it, you may get half of it (just an idea).

The club should be very careful in trying to set an image for itself that the public dont see. I used to work for an IT company who tried to change to quick. It didn't work ( share price fell from 1.92 to .15 in just under 12 months ). They then retrenched over 60 of their IT staff (myself included). They failed to do their research. Has this been done at Richmond. What section of their supporters did they interview etc etc. to come to this concept of what the club should be.

A few questions
1- Is there anyway of getting involved in these members forum. How did you get involved.
2- Is there anyway of getting a copy of the minutes of such a forum.
3- How does the club want to be portrayed. Is this the same as the way the members see it.
4- Why wont the AFL let that Video be used.
5- Why is it inspirational
6- Has it been shown to non members to gauge their response. I know I were talking about one case with that party but it was nice to hear from non richmond supporters.

Lets Roar :D

Khan

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
Khan said:
A few questions
1- Is there anyway of getting involved in these members forum. How did you get involved.
2- Is there anyway of getting a copy of the minutes of such a forum.
3- How does the club want to be portrayed. Is this the same as the way the members see it.
4- Why wont the AFL let that Video be used.
5- Why is it inspirational
6- Has it been shown to non members to gauge their response. I know I were talking about one case with that party but it was nice to hear from non richmond supporters.

So many questions Khan :D

I'll try answer each one as best I can. First of all the Club does offer another membership that is for Blockbuster games only. But not the seven you have suggested. We have raised this at our meetings and are pushing for it very hard I can assure you. But back to your questions

1. Near the end of last season with a copy of the Figthing Tiger bulletin there was a members census. It asked a series of question about how we as members viewed the service we received from the club. The final question was something like "would you be interested in being part of a members forum YES or NO. Ticked yes. Received a letter asking me to outline how I thought the Club could improve in 5 key areas. M'ship, Mktg, Communications, Merchandise, Events. Well they must have been impressed with my 4 page letter because they invited me to join. There are about 30 of us. Currently there is no intention to look for more participants. But the Club will be running Members's Info nights during the season that are open to everyone. I have the dates at home I can let you know.

2. We all receive minutes after our meetings. I can post them on here if people want - as long as there is nothing confidential on them.

3. How does the Club want to be portrayed? How much time have you got ??? The Club has researched very heavily in this area. But in summary it wants to be considered a Club that respects its firstly its Members and its sponsors. It wants to be seen to have strong ties to the community of which it is a member. It wants to take the 4 core values that the research highlighted and make them the cornerstone of the Club. It wants to change its perceived culture. These startegies are currently being developed. Bottom line is the CLub starts along way behind because over the years it has not looked after its greatest asset - its members well. The Club knows this and is working on it big time I can assure you.

4. The video is primarily an in house training video and marketing tool to attract sponsors. It goes for just on 4 minutes. As the video has TV footage in it the Club must get permission from the AFL for its showing. Currently the video remains in house. We (the Members forum) were privileged being able to see it. We were shown to get some feedback as to what sort impact soemthing like it would have on supporters and members.

5 & 6. It was inspirational because it showed where we are now but more importantly what we as a Club can be if everyone is comitted together. It shows the GREAT things about Richmond - Dyer, GR, Tom Hafey from the past, Richo, Cambo of the present and the great things of the future Rodan, Cogs. It shows why other Clubs evny Richmond - that is the supporters. It simple promotes this brand that is the RFC. I beleive it has been showed to some potential sponsors. The research involved talking to past players & officials and long term and short term supporters.

I posted alot about this in the specially set Members Forum board that Rosy set up. There is more detail overthere Khan regarding the meetings etc.

Khan

Lets Roar in 2004
Dec 17, 2002
Tigerland
Koalalil

I caught Tiger TV last night and thought it was far worse in promoting a team of Yobbo's than any of the Adds that are being shown. It might be worth bringing that up with the Members Forum at some point

It was Funny ;) but definatly was very low brow in its approach to comedy

Lets Roar

Khan

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
Khan said:
I caught Tiger TV last night and thought it was far worse in promoting a team of Yobbo's than any of the Adds that are being shown. It might be worth bringing that up with the Members Forum at some point

Khan,

Don't get me started on Tiger TV - ask anyone on the members forum and they will tell you I am its biggest critic. ;)

In a word woeful

KL

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
TigerFury said:
Bloody hell! I've got to 'get in' a bit more! I've not seen one of these ad's!

Well TF - I have been told they are shown alot between midnight and 6.00am on Channel 10 ;D