Tiger great passes away | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tiger great passes away

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Tiger great dies
Howard Kotton
afl.com.au
10:33:24 AM Sat 28 December, 2002

Dual Richmond premiership player Arthur “Joe” Murdoch has died.

Murdoch, a member of the Tigers’ 1932 and 1934 premiership teams, died after suffering a heart attack in Castlemaine on Boxing Day. He was 94.

The rugged defender, who was admired by Jack Dyer for his toughness, was Richmond's oldest premiership player.

Murdoch played 180 games and six goals for the Tigers between 1927-36 and represented a Victorian B team in 1932.

An excellent high mark and long kick, Murdoch played on a half-back flank in the Tigers' losing 1928 grand final side before switching to centre half-back the following season.

He was centre half-back in Richmond's premiership team which defeated Carlton in 1932 and two years later was on a half-forward flank when the Tigers beat South Melbourne in the grand final.

In 1936 Murdoch was involved in a sensational incident when he struck Collingwood champion Gordon Coventry on boils on the Magpie's neck and sparked a punch-up in which both players were reported.

Murdoch visited Punt Rd about a year ago and endeared himself to the modern-day Tigers with entertaining stories from his playing days and great sense of humour.

A funeral service for the former Tigers star will be held at the E.J. Thompson Parlor, 123 Mostyn St, Castlemaine, on Monday, December 30, at 11 am. A private interment at Castlemaine Cemetery will follow.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Obviously there's probably no one here who saw him play but it's always sad when the club loses a champion from the past.

R.I.P.

Our condolences and best wishes to his family especially at this time of year.

rbartlett

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 6, 2003
www.rhettrospective.com
I had the pleasure of interviewing Joe Murdoch (in what was his last interview) as well as meeting his family. I think we underestimate the players of the past, alot of them lived in the shadow of Jack Dyer, Murdoch however played before. Just consider he played in 5 grand finals in 6 years, and won two. A wonderful contributor to our club .
Deeply missed.