Tiger pre-season in Changi ;-} | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tiger pre-season in Changi ;-}

HellsTiger

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 15, 2004
AFL
Tiger pre-season in Changi

by STAFF REPORTERS

Richmond Football Club has taken pre-season training to a new level, basing the club’s entire summer fitness program in a disused Prisoner of War camp in Changi.

“We’ve been thinking about it for a while. We saw Angelo Lekkas had been hanging out with Shaolin Monks in China, then we heard that Hawthorn was walking the Kokoda Trail, and St Kilda were trekking through Africa, but we aim to be better next year than those soft *smile*,” said Tiger football manager “Whale” Swift.

“Tezza Wallace said if we’re going to try to tap into the whole Remembrance Day spirit-of-the-Anzacs type deal, let’s not stuff around, so here we are.”

The entire 40-man Richmond playing group will be staying in barracks, toiling in rice fields and stopping only to be beaten repeatedly with bamboo sticks from now until February. It is anticipated that the physical effects will be profound.

“Yeah, we’ve pretty much allocated that two or three of the rookie kids might die, and possibly a forward pocket option or two, but we think we can cover those losses in the pre-season draft,” Swift said.

“For the rest of the players, this will be a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I think the wilting 43 degree heat, high humidity, maggot-infested rice for every meal, water torture techniques and occasional random execution will really bond this group of players.”

Coach Terry Wallace said the Anzac spirit, with its messages of togetherness, bravery, defiance and mateship under fire were closely aligned to football and the camp would be a tangible reminder of all of that.

“It’s likely that our boys will be 20 or 30 kilos lighter than your average AFL player after a summer of remorseless toil and starvation, but we think our famous Richmond skill level and spirit of togetherness will see us past that small physical issue.

“Besides, I think that next time everybody gets stuck into Richo for kicking the ball out of bounds from the goalsquare, he’ll be able to remind them that he came through a 45-hour ordeal of having to remain upright while surrounded by razor-sharp spikes. Assuming he does, of course …”

From:  http://www.thebladder.com.au/content/news/displayContent.asp?CID=2866&EID=279

Might not be a bad option!

This is the funniest football article I have ever read on this site (albeit hearsay). Please retain.

Is it in bad taste to compare footballers to soldiers in a war? Yes. While many of Australia's youth were recently consigned to war duties on foreign soil, football coaches and commentators alike were trotting out "football is like war" and "I'd like him in the trenches with me" style cliches. These cliches sicken me. Imagine how the ralatives of soldiers at war feel about such comments.

This quote is ironic. Rich. A reminder to those who would couple a field game with debauched destruction. I laugh. What should I do?