TIGER TALK with TOMMY | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

TIGER TALK with TOMMY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr T.

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 11, 2007
Melbourne
TIGER TALK with TOMMY

Much loved Richmond hero and Team of the Century coach Tommy Hafey kindly answers questions from members of the PuntRoadEnd website. Please note these questions were answered in May 2004 so some aren't still relevant)

From Hartbalme
1). How do you rate Coughlan? What would you do to assist him when the ‘taggers’ start picking him up? (This will happen big-time soon, the kid will need some help).

TH: Mark Coughlan has been fantastic. A best and fairest winner at 21 and I would expect him to win a few more. A lot of terrific players don’t win one. He mustn’t get upset when tagged but run, run, run and kick more goals.

2). If you were coaching how would you set up our forward line?
TH: We are lucky at Richmond with our tall forwards, Matthew Richardson, Greg Stafford and Brad Ottens all capable of kicking multiple goals each game, but I’ll be happier when our smaller crumb-getters Andrew Krakouer, David Rodan, Nathan Brown etc all figure in the goals from snaps around the goal square.

3). Do you support the push for a 6-man interchange?
TH: I definitely don’t think we need anymore. I think the coaches are carried away with changes and I feel sorry when lads are on and off the ground. It destroys their confidence while doing wonders for their opponents.

From Hanno
1). How do you feel about an AFL club appointing a mentor for their senior coach? Do you see it as a sign of a coach willing to learn from those who are more experienced, or do you feel it’s more of a sign of a coach w ho’s unsure of himself and the path he has chosen for his club?

TH: I don’t think an AFL senior coach would like it, probably believing it would damage his profile. It would be some value for him to at times discuss or confide in someone he knows and respects, but he must be known as “the brain”.

2). Would you be willing to take on this kind of role if the club were to ask?
TH: No. But I do feel it an honour when somebody like a Kevin Sheedy or Mark Williams seeks me out for an opinion.

From Al Bundy
1). Would you throw your hat into the ring to coach the RFC if the club asked people to submit tenders at the end of the year? (NB referring to 2004)

TH: No. I have a different lifestyle, which I thoroughly enjoy. I still love the football and see plenty each weekend, live or on TV but I get upset with certain aspects of the game.

2). When the job was on offer last time did the club offer Chairman of Selectors? Would you consider this job now if available?
TH: The club never spoke to me regarding coaching or any other position. I guess the people who make the decisions thought I was too old.

3). Would you love to come back t o the club in an official position such as Tony Jewell held?
TH: No. I could never be anything but coach. I admire the people on committees and boards who put in so much for their club.

4). Which Grand Final did you like the most?
TH: I wouldn’t dare to try and compare. Each was so special and a great result for the club and supporters.

5). What would be the most treasured pleasure you have had at the club?
TH: Many, many. Making the team as a player. Being named as coach. Being part of a successful period. Having so many marvelous friends, staff, fans and players.

6). Do you love coming back for the special occasion talks to the players?
TH: My word. Reunions are fantastic catching up with old mates and talking to the present players is also great.

7). How do you see the modern game compared to when you were at the reign when you coached the four clubs?
TH: It is still much the same game. A lot of clubs do things different, which I wouldn’t do but that happened in my era also.

8). Do you consider you can still coach the modern game?
TH: The teams that have been successful in recent times do much the same as we did. Very simple, basic rules. Strong discipline, plenty of enthusiasm, passion and desperation and tremendous love for each other.

From HK Tiger
1). There has been a lot of turmoil at Tigerland with directors, people calling for the squad to be culled by at least 6 more players last year and the sacking of our coach. How did you focus the team in the seventies when similar calls were being made at Richmond?

TH: Try to get players to just focus on our coming game. To ignore the negative, back-stabbers and keep together as much as possible. Have people speak to our players on their achievements.

2). Do you think we are now playing Richo where he can do the most damage for the Tigers?
TH: Matthew Richardson is awesome and will beat any fullback in the competition if we continue to get the ball down quickly so he can compete one on one.

3). How can the Tigers better look after gifted players such as Marty McGrath who obviously had talent but lacked guidance and willpower to make it at Richmond?
TH: Many lads come to me years later and say they wish they could have their time again, and even apologise for their attitude and behaviour. We must continually help and guide some youngsters by using assistants and Pastors etc.

From @Rosy
1). What do you see as the major differences between players preparation when you coached compared to now?

TH: Much the same. Players worked 40 hours and football was an outlet. Naturally some get carried away with their fame but mostly they’re great.

2). There are always players in the headlines for the wrong reasons now. Do you think the circumstances have changed or rather the players might have got up to mischief in past years but the media didn’t highlight it as much?
TH: There are now thousands in the media all looking for a new angle or story, and millions of people wanting to start or repeat a rumour but I hate it when players do the wrong thing.

3). Do you have any football superstitions?
TH: Not superstitions, I don’t think I even did as a player. I did believe in preparing myself for the game or season by working hard and looking after myself etc.

4). Who were the pranksters when you were coaching?
TH: The lovable Brian “Whale” Roberts was somebody we laughed at and laughed with. Rex Hunt was another.

5). What is the first thing that comes into your mind when you read these words?

Nathan Brown - Outstanding talent, a great pick up.
AFL - Very political.
Kevin Sheedy - Special. Sensational.
Tribunal - Job to do. No complaints.
Umpires - Honest effort but less ball ups and more frees.
Bourke-Barrot-Clay - “Made in heaven” –Greatest ever.
Matthew Richardson - Humble, beautiful boy.
Jack Dyer - Captain Blood. Our hero.
Richmond’s theme song - Should be the national anthem.

Food for thought from the back of Tommy's business card
Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakens up.
It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a lion wakes up.
It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve to death. It doesn’t matter whether you’re a lion or gazelle; when the sun comes up, you’d better be running.

TOMMY HAFEY 'S RECORD OF ACHIEVEMENT
  • Coached four AFL teams – Richmond, Collingwood, Geelong and the Sydney Swans.
  • One of only six coaches to have coached over 500 VFL/AFL games (the other five- Jock McHale, Allan Jeans, Ron Barassi, David Parkin and Kevin Sheedy).
  • Teams coached made ten grand finals which resulted in four premierships and a tied grand final.
  • First year as Collingwood coach, the team rose from wooden spooners to tie in the Grand Final.
  • Three years with the Sydney Swans, with Dr. Edelstein, took the Swans from second bottom to second top two years running and the three years Hafey coached, the Swans had a 70% win record.
  • Never beaten as coach of the Victorian State Teams.
  • Coached NSW and Queensland in successful football carnivals.
  • Now reporting with the ABC (3LO) and Sport 927, as well as writing for Inside Football.
  • Eighteen players coached by Tommy Hafey have become AFL coaches.
  • Only once in twenty-two years coaching AFL football did a Hafey-coached team finish lower than seventh.

Status
Not open for further replies.